Author Topic: The Squarsche - my street legal '67 VW Squareback racer  (Read 35888 times)

Offline aircooledtechguy

• Nate's AircooledTech
Re: The Squarsche - my street legal '67 VW Squareback racer
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2014, 11:43:39 PM »
Tell the teachers he is studying global warming in the salt desert and they will probably give him an "A". It is fun to see how fast it will go whatever it is and whatever the speed may be. Enjoy.

BR

You got that right!!  This trip will be a years worth of extra credit with the teachers I deal with here. :roll:

Got my fenders and doors back from my body guy, so I hung them on and dragged her outside so I could take a shot for the official program for the World Of Speed event in Bonneville.  It's sitting a little @$$-high since there's no motor in it.  All in all, the debauchery is coming together nicely. . .  :twisted:

« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 11:46:16 PM by aircooledtechguy »
Regards,

Nate M.
Anacortes, WA
Owner: ProVolks LLC

Offline aircooledtechguy

• Nate's AircooledTech
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2014, 12:37:34 PM »
I had Josh trace out and cut the second inner fender well panel for the Squarsche today.  He'll be doing a mirror image of what he watched me do yesterday on the passenger side. 

On the passenger side I marked and welded in the dzus anchors I bought from Speed Mart into the OEM inner fender well.  This will act as an air duct to bring cooling air from the NACA ducts fwd of the rear wheel, over the rear wheel and straight into the OEM cool air duct at the back of the car.  This will help to force-feed the fan at speed.  I went this route rather than just switch to the later fender grills and *hope* enough air would find its way into the fan.

Since we're running at Bonneville, we had better be able to clean the ducts out after racing, so they are being held in with dzus fasteners.  Here's my side:

His side to follow and I'm sure it'll be better than mine. . .
Regards,

Nate M.
Anacortes, WA

Offline aircooledtechguy

• Nate's AircooledTech
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2014, 07:43:02 PM »
So,. . .

My client and friend named Al Benda stops by the shop just a few minutes ago. . .  Now Al is the guy that stopped by two years ago after WOS 2012 and brought me the event program that has in time, SCREWED me out of more time and money now that I’m bringing a car to this years WOS event for a run at the 130 Club. . .  (Damn him!!)!!!!!!!  Every time I see him here in town, I both wave and curse his name all at the same time. . .

Anyway, he stops by and brings me this shirt for motivational purposes (of course):

Yeah, I have every intention of buying him a replacement shirt this year. . .  Damn it, I LOVE THIS GUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Regards,

Nate M.
Anacortes, WA

Offline tauruck

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2014, 01:56:01 AM »
At least you know the guy on a face to face basis!!! :-D

The guys that got me into the "addiction" are just nicknames and email addresses. :evil:

Good story though and more like watching a movie than reading.
That IS the shirt. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Best post in a long time. Thanks man.

Offline Fiatdude

• New folks
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2014, 05:38:25 AM »
NICE BUILD

You're making me want to take mine damnit

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 05:41:59 AM by Fiatdude »

Offline aircooledtechguy

• Nate's AircooledTech
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2014, 07:50:45 PM »
NICE BUILD

You're making me want to take mine damnit

No balls if you don't!!  (Oh crap I just called your man-hood into question; now you have to bring it!!) :-P :cheers:

No pics today. . .  Just verbage.

Had a couple days that disappointed me and ended up as wasted time, which I can't afford at this point with less than 50 days to go before World of Speed @ Bonneville.  Anyway, progress was made on 2 fronts. . .

1.  I got the inner fenders sealed for the NACA ducts to bring cooling air to the engine.  This was huge.  Originally, I had grandiose schemes of ducting from the NACA ducts to the inner fenders, however I had grossly over thought this.  All I needed to do was to prevent air from traveling from the NACA ducts to the rear section of the fenders and attempted a fiberglass ducting system to make this happen. . .  I lost a n entire day on this fiasco.  A simple 6" wall prevents this and the "lazy air" will have no choice but to go down the duct over the rear tire and into the engine.   Woohoo!!  A HUGE burden has been lifted off my shoulders. . .

2.  I now have brakes.  Yeah, racing at Bonneville make brakes kind of the last thing you need to be concerned about, but it was forward progress, so I'm counting it today.  I need all the fwd progress that I can get.

3.  I found the perfect seals on Ebay for the inner fender/outer fender and I'll be ordering them tonight.

I may start throwing receipts away on this project. . .  This sh*t is getting expensive and completely depressing . .  I'm a freakin' privateer on a shoestring budget and and prayer!!!!!!!!! 
Regards,

Nate M.
Anacortes, WA

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2014, 08:35:13 PM »
"I may start throwing receipts away on this project. . .  This sh*t is getting expensive and completely depressing . .  I'm a freakin' privateer on a shoestring budget and and prayer!!!!!!!!!" You're sounding like the average Bonneville competitor Nate.  :-D :-D :-D :roll: :evil:

Pete

Offline tauruck

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2014, 01:36:24 AM »
Right on Pete.
There should be a standard "post" like that, that we can just copy and paste. :-D

Offline aircooledtechguy

• Nate's AircooledTech
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2014, 12:29:29 AM »
After weeks of delays due to shop and family commitments as well as part incompatibility issues, Josh was finally able to finish the engine build that he started several weeks ago.  None too soon I might add since it is getting down to the wire on this project!!

One of the issues we had was when I ordered a ring set, TWICE, I was sent the wrong oil control rings.  Each time, causing a week or more in delays. . .  Man was it nice to get those cylinders on and the motor finished.  Here are a few shots of Josh back at it getting the cylinders prepped and heads on and torqued.

After we determined our rocker geometry and made adjustments via shims and push rod length, Josh got down to making the custom length chromoly push rods.  He did a fantastic job!! 

He then was able to get the modified 1.7L rockers w/ OEM Porsche 911 adjusters installed and the valves adjusted. 

We’re going to start the motor with these bolt-on covers.  Yeah, yeah, I know; they will probably leak, but we gotta try ‘em anyway since they’re easy to change out for stockers. . .

Before the engine tins went on, we set the air gap at the hall sensor and 36-1 trigger wheel to 3mm and verified a good signal with a multimeter.  We wanted to do this now since getting at it later will be “fun”.

Then began the job of the engine tins.  We robbed these off the old 2056cc and cleaned them-up. 

After that, we mounted the ITBs and synced the linkage, which only took about 30 seconds (try syncing any other type of linkage that fast).

Then I had Josh break out the torch and anneal the copper exhaust gaskets so they would be butter-soft for good stub sealing.

After they cooled, he installed them into the ports, anti-seized the studs and mounted the custom stubs using OEM Porsche 914 2.0L exhaust nuts. 

Below is a shot of Josh and his first motor build.  I’m really proud of him and what he has created here.

Today, I had to make an exhaust hanger just before the V-band.  With the 911 muffler, this is not needed, but if I run a straight pipe like at Bonneville, it will need to be supported.  This is what I came up with.

Then we got the header on and the muffler installed.

Regards,

Nate M.
Anacortes, WA

Offline tauruck

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2014, 07:16:49 AM »
Nate, you should be proud. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Josh, you did a nice job there. :wink: :cheers:

I stick by my statement. Those are not easy motors to build.

You made it look easy. I hope you get every HP out of it you want.

Great build guys, thanks. Mike.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2014, 09:18:10 AM »
I'm impressed. He did it with a look of enthusiasm and enjoyment the whole time and he didn't need headphones to accomplish the job.

Great work Josh!!!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: (root beer, I'm sure!  :-D )

Pete

Offline aircooledtechguy

• Nate's AircooledTech
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2014, 01:04:02 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys.  Even through all the smart-@$$ness, I think Josh is picking this stuff up pretty good and is doing a great job on his part.

I made some more progress yesterday.  I modified the tank (via BAH :lol: ) and got it mounted.  That enabled me to be able to finalize the front strut bar and weld-in the studs for it.

This is the first front stiffener to go in.  I'm going to be doing some testing in the months to come to see if more will be needed.

I also made the spoiler stiffener support and mounted it to the inside of the spoiler.  This is necessary because all the force of the air at high speeds will eventually break the mounts for the bumper since they are just fiberglassed in place.  This will support the bottom really nicely and make it solid at high speeds.  I still need to make the strut bars that tie it to the front suspension, Since I ran out of materials.

I also mounted & plumbed the Walbro fuel pump and filter as well as ran all the front fuel hoses. 

Regards,

Nate M.
Anacortes, WA

Offline aircooledtechguy

• Nate's AircooledTech
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2014, 06:19:36 PM »
I got the new motor stuffed in the car and some other details wrapped-up today as well. 

So far the ride height as it is allows 3" at the flex-dam and 4" at the trans mount/skid plate and the sump.  I'll be raising up an inch or so before any street driving just to be safe, but will lower it 1.5" front and another inch in the rear for Bonneville.
Regards,

Nate M.
Anacortes, WA

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2014, 07:32:13 PM »
Nate;

Your "Squarsche" is looking great. Which transaxle are you using? Stock gearing?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline aircooledtechguy

• Nate's AircooledTech
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2014, 11:36:19 PM »
Nate;

Your "Squarsche" is looking great. Which transaxle are you using? Stock gearing?

Thanks for the kind words Neil.  We're running a Porsche 5-speed out of a '76 Porsche 912E.  Gearing is stock.  For LSR, I would prefer to run a 915 since the R&P is higher geared, but I would need to have a special clutch disc made in order to run it.  Maybe next year. . .
Regards,

Nate M.
Anacortes, WA