Author Topic: The Squarsche - my street legal '67 VW Squareback racer  (Read 35886 times)

Offline aircooledtechguy

• Nate's AircooledTech
Re: The Squarsche - my street legal '67 VW Squareback racer
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2014, 11:48:13 PM »
My buddy who's doing the body work came by and grabbed both doors and the front left fender to work on and brought back the right rear fender. . .  Man, this thing is coming together.  Pics later on that; I have bigger fish to fry.

I concentrated on getting the engine parts 100% ready for the balancer and the rear valance.

On the motor side, I only needed to notch the H-beam rods so that a stream of oil would spray on the bottom of the piston crowns.  This cools the pistons and cooling can't be a bad thing right?? Bel0w is the un-modified rod:

Below is the modified rod. 

I used a three sided hand file to make the groove in just a few strokes.  This channels the oil splash off the rod the and forces it to the back side of the piston in order to cool the crown. This 5 minute mod, can cool the pistons by 30F+.  Well worth the time.

Now I turned my attention to the rear of the car.  A month or more, I removed the factory rear apron; it was bent and generally wasted.  I wanted to remove it and replace it with a panel that would breath and allow the natural vacuum of the car to draw not only the engine cooling air out, but also the air under the car.  I decided to make a rear diffuser of sorts.  I started by tracing out the rear profile onto a template material.  Then bolted-up the fiber glass rear bumper, to ensure it would exit just under the bumper. 

Then I welded it in place.

The entire area under the rear will be mesh but I'm still waiting on that from the supplier.

On the front of the car, since I'm going to run  small Braille 18# battery that will be totally contained between the spare tire and the nose skin of the front apron, jumping it will be impossible.  So I added a pair of remote battery terminals for jumping the car if that was ever necessary.  I picked these up on eBay cheap.  This week, I'm going to be carefully measuring the cables needed and getting them made locally.

Regards,

Nate M.
Anacortes, WA
Owner: ProVolks LLC

Offline aircooledtechguy

• Nate's AircooledTech
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 11:34:01 AM »
Out with the old. . . 

The 2056cc comes out to make room for the new 2.3L that will replace it.  With a little luck, my son may begin the build-up this Saturday if I can get the parts back from the balancer by Friday.  Only the cooling tins and alternator will move over to the new motor.  All the injection and exhaust will be new, one-off pieces.
Regards,

Nate M.
Anacortes, WA

Offline aircooledtechguy

• Nate's AircooledTech
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2014, 11:42:12 PM »
So as body work continues (cough, hack, puke), I took a break from that work that I hate(!) and jumped back on a fab job that I began a couple months ago.  I got to the point that I needed to install my mock-up motor so I could finalize the racing exhaust pipe location as well as finish making the custom air box for the ITBs.  Believe it or not, this was my first test fit of the mock-up motor with the new mount bar, exhaust and ITBs in the car. . .  LIKE A GLOVE!!!

I began by dragging out a pair of relatively hard to find Porsche 2.0L air cleaner assemblies.  I made some cut lines and began cutting them both to pieces in order to come-up with basically a square center box with a short, but better breathing wide snout.

The vision. . .

After the cutting was done, the left over pieces went into the recycle bin. . .

I welded the pieces together and ended up with a center air box that fit great. 

Then I ordered four 90 degree silicone boots and cut about ¾” off one end so they wouldn’t be too tall and fit under the factory type3 engine cover. 

Then I marked out where the 2” pipes would come into the center box and hole sawed the sides of the center box.  I used some 2” muffler pipe to make the pipes leading out to each ITB silicone elbow and tacked them in place with the MIG.

I’ll finish weld them tomorrow since it’s been a pretty long day thus far.  Eventually it will get powder coated like the engine tins for that "factory skunk-works" look and a fresh K&N element.
Regards,

Nate M.
Anacortes, WA

Offline tauruck

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2014, 11:45:18 PM »
Nice finish.
It looks factory/race to me. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline aircooledtechguy

• Nate's AircooledTech
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2014, 01:33:35 PM »
Finally, the fender stretching is done!!  Got the drivers side rear finished-up yesterday evening and it feels good to have that all behind me.  It came out pretty darned good but was a bit tedious to get the same as the left side. 

I also shaved the inner edge of the fiberglass bumpers in order to allow them to fit since the fenders wouldn't allow proper fitment without it.  Luckily there's enough meet on them to trim around 1/2" off and still have them look un-modified.

I still have a bit of under fender work to do, but the part everyone see's is done.  I really like the "fat squatting" look from the rear with the fat tires and the 911 banana can poking out.  I may reposition the exhaust tip a little higher, but all in all the look of the rear is about where I wanted it.

Regards,

Nate M.
Anacortes, WA

Offline debgeo

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2014, 01:35:51 PM »
NICE WORK  :-) :-) :-)
George---Sidecar in progress

Offline aircooledtechguy

• Nate's AircooledTech
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2014, 10:12:43 PM »
Took about an hour to shorten these IDF/DRLA manifolds 1 3/4" so they would fit into the Squarsche.  I cut them apart on a band saw. 

Then after beveling all the edges so I could get good penetration, I TIG welded them back together again.  Then after they cooled down, I used a burr to smooth out the transition on the inside for good flow from the ITBs.

Regards,

Nate M.
Anacortes, WA

Offline aircooledtechguy

• Nate's AircooledTech
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2014, 11:40:11 PM »
This Saturday, I got the sway bar mounts made (well mostly made) and test fitted.

I also tweeked the entire throttle cable system and get it swapped over from the single TB location to the new location that works with the ITBs on this car.  This also called for a custom cable, cable sheath extension and some other stuff so that it would work in this bastard step-child of a car.  The result is a SUPER smooth cable linkage.  The system is from Tangerine Racing and is a piece of art.  If you want smooth linkage that is simple to sync and clean, this is the only set to get.

Today, my son Josh began assembling the bottom-end of the new race motor.  He's doing a great job so far and I'll post photos of that when the bottom-end comes together.
Regards,

Nate M.
Anacortes, WA

Offline tauruck

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2014, 01:15:14 AM »
Nate, that's a super cool sway bar system and the car is coming along great. :cheers:

Offline aircooledtechguy

• Nate's AircooledTech
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2014, 12:28:44 PM »
Beginning this week, my son Josh has been out of school and is coming in to give his old man a hand at the shop.  But it’s not without a mission.  Since he was about 8 y/o, he’s been coming in occasionally to help when he needed some extra money to buy stuff kids buy.  Over the past 6 years or so, he’s been my tear-down/parts-washing king.  The un-disputed king at that.  Now that he is 14 y/o he’s earned a new job. . .

Monday and Wednesday, he spent the better part of both days assembling the 2.3L race motor that will be the new heart of the Squarsche.  What follows are a few shots of him assembling the bottom end.  I have to say that he has really listened well and is doing a bang-up job on this motor so far.  I couldn’t be more proud. . .

Regards,

Nate M.
Anacortes, WA

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2014, 02:21:04 PM »
Nate, I envy you and your boy- especially him.  it looks like he's having a fine time - and whether he knows it or not he's learning stuff that'll follow him for the rest of his life.  Corngratulations to both of you.  Keep up the good work. :cheers: :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline aircooledtechguy

• Nate's AircooledTech
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2014, 12:30:33 AM »
Thanks Jon.  While we'll be aggressively trying to get into the 130 club and do everything in our power to make it in, privately my goal is to just have a great time on our trip down to the salt and hopefully make some memories with my son that will last a lifetime.

Josh is going to miss his first week of high school in order to make the event, but something tells me he'll learn a lot more at Bonneville than he would sitting in class. . . 8-)
Regards,

Nate M.
Anacortes, WA

Offline tauruck

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2014, 09:59:22 PM »
It's good to see a young guy doing what Josh is.
Not a common sight around where I live.
Way to go guys. :cheers:

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2014, 10:26:00 PM »
Thanks Jon.  While we'll be aggressively trying to get into the 130 club and do everything in our power to make it in, privately my goal is to just have a great time on our trip down to the salt and hopefully make some memories with my son that will last a lifetime.

Josh is going to miss his first week of high school in order to make the event, but something tells me he'll learn a lot more at Bonneville than he would sitting in class. . . 8-)

That is great. And he is a good mechanic! Tell the teachers he is studying global warming in the salt desert and they will probably give him an "A". It is fun to see how fast it will go whatever it is and whatever the speed may be. Enjoy.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM