Author Topic: On the REALLY high speed runs why don't the tires explode?  (Read 10414 times)

Offline cdoublejj

• New folks
Re: On the REALLY high speed runs why don't the tires explode?
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2014, 01:33:37 AM »
thanks for the replies guys. I'm glad to hear that i'm not entirely insane.  :-D

A final note about high speed tires: Contact Tom Birkland. He's been there, done that.
     Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Is he a forum member here?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2014, 09:54:59 AM »
Well, yes -- Tom is a member - - I think.  He posts very seldom, though, but does evidently read lots of the stuff here.  I don't have his username at the tip of my fingers so I can't direct you to his contact information.  Maybe someone else will help you.

I presume that Tom, like quite a few folks here, chooses not to post to reduce the number of hassles that folks might send his/their way.  No offense meant to any of the "lurkers" - that's their choice and I accept it with grace.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Freud

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2014, 11:24:35 AM »
His name is Tom Burkland.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2014, 03:58:20 PM »
i'm not really building salt flats machine but, i'll tell you but, more than likely you someone will tell me i'm wrong or crazy and maybe I am.

I need a 3.50 x 8" tire than can with stand 100-125 mph. At current i'm using cheap Chinese non speed rated DOT approved tires that have worked fine during my 3 top speed runs at 65, 72 and 75 mph. the problem is every thing went good and it handled fine, maybe even better than fine since i haven't modified the chassis for better handling yet.

http://www.dratv.com/noname19.html

The problem with that is i'm hitting 75mph on bone stock 155cc crate engine, one that some people are also getting 85 mph. 1 guy named Ivan who is a Dakar racer hit 115mph on a similar engine a 177cc Honda nice. I can and plan to go as far 239cc PLUS addition performance tweaks and modifications not JUST a bore up.

Marginal Returns. When i first started this project i had a 119cc lifan engine that got me 45-50mph and the 155cc got me to 75mph. I have to remember marginal returns but, for me that was only about a 25-32cc increase with a more aggressive build and i got 75mph. I really have to think if Ivan Hit 115mph and i hit 75mph, 100mph might very be possible and if indeed that is the case so might be 100+ mph.

Here is the important bit, this bike works fine for farting around the in back yard and cruising the streets. This will be something i plan to DD from time to time in town maybe hit the highway every now and then and maybe hit a trail or 2 every now then as well as riding it in the yard. It also needs to look relatively stock which is one reason i don't want to upgrade to 10" wheels and tires.

I also think being at 8" helps in the fact that it ride so log to the ground which i think is part of the reason it handles so well at 75mph... Keep in mind this is straight line speed though it can indeed turn but, it isn't gonna turn on a dime like sport bike nor is that what i'm aiming for. Also gearing tire size has an effect on gearing... and weight bigger wheels and tires have an affect on weight... and looks and so on and so on.  This is also why i'd really like to keep the stock tread pattern, 1 becasue i used it off the asphalt, 2 i'm trying to keep the stock look of the bike and so people don't notice (sneaky sneaky) "

"I bet 50 bucks that mustang can't take this mini bike."
You're on!
 :-D

Now i've been doing a little research on tires and the technologies and the layers and parts of the tires. I'm still reading and have some stuff book marked but, the biggest take away for me is something called a Nylon Cap or Belt. Once past a certain speed centrifugal forces pay a big part on the tire integrity so they implemented a Nylon Cap to hold the tire together to help combat that centrifugal force and keep the tire from blowing.

I have no idea if the tires i had or even if the J rate 62mph 3.50 x8 tires (best i can find so far) have Nylon Cap and if the do if said Nylon Caps can be reinforced or made bigger/stronger.

If they have 17-28 some odd inch tires that can handle 400 PLUS Miles Per Hour!!! I can't be completely freaking insane especially with all the advances in plastics and rubbers and tires they've been making in recent decades.

That i said, that's the jist of what i'm doing and planning. I guess this the part where you all tell me I'm wrong, stupid, crazy, moronic and the people in white lab coats drag me off.

EDIT .... What gets me is people say it's not possible for a tire that small but, you know i think just maybe if that was the case, i think my tires would have exploded already. if they can go this fast being pumped out of a Chinese factory just imagine what pair built with, time care and good materials could do. On another note when my current tires are finally wear out, I think i'm interested in cutting them in half and seeing whats inside (the different layers)

I will derail this a bit but preface it by saying that if you have made it to here, there is a decent chance that you will become "sucked in"  You might as well order a rule book from SCTA and check the rules and records.  If I am wrong, you are only out the cost of a rule book, but helped out an organization in return.

The statement to find wheels and tires and design around them is very well said.

I think you will find as you go faster and faster, the small diameter wheels will leave you desiring better, and don't think you could run wheels that small at Bonneville (maybe if you add a third wheel and run in sidecar class?).  Going to 17" wheels would get you into 125 GP tires, or 18" would give you numerous narrow H rated tires.  You can often get 125 GP used tires for free or very cheap, and since you would probably would have been shaving them down won't matter that they are used. 

Just my $0.02

Offline cdoublejj

• New folks
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2014, 09:59:31 PM »
that's probably a good idea any ways, my friend wants to run the Texas mile on his Kawasaki Ninja and I could get a look what at the rules my self.