Author Topic: Goodyear 22X4.0-17 #2904 Front Runners  (Read 33221 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Goodyear 22X4.0-17 #2904 Front Runners
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2014, 02:17:47 PM »
  I am really at a loss reading this discussion. I mounted my 2904's with my own two hands using a brake adjusting spoon and a screw driver and it took me no more then 5 minutes with no damage to the bead. I used plain old fashioned dish soap as a lube. They just pumped right up and bead perfectly. I balance them by using dry bearings and a couple thou. of clearance. Heavy spot goes to the bottom. Then I simply experiment with tape on lead weight till you put it in several positions and it stays put. Same as we balanced GO Kart tires. I have never felt a vibration, but I don't go that fast I guess.

How is the scrub radius working out using those wheels?

Sum

Offline 8

• New folks
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2014, 03:28:37 PM »
    I might be wrong,  But I mounted my T/F tires on T/F wheels, put them on T/F spindles, (dont care about scrub radius) and the car drives like a DREAM . I can drive it anywhere I want to go on the course at over 225 at elmo.    :-D :-D :-D

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2014, 04:18:52 PM »
TF spindles are Anglia based would be my guess.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline maj

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2014, 05:48:03 PM »
What grates a little is the metal rolling and heat treating is still underway for my 3 piece rims  and i already know there wrong and will have to complete the sale
at least rim halves are not that expensive and i can get more done to the correct specs, just not in time for this season   

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2014, 10:42:05 PM »
Stop the heat treat and re machine ???  we are going to be able to but it was close
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline maj

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2014, 11:44:29 PM »
Spun metal not machined , not enough material there to change , they arrive here tomorrow :(

Offline racergeo

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2014, 02:30:20 AM »
   Sumner, my car :lol: is a front wheel drive. These tires and wheels are just following along for the ride.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2014, 09:32:05 AM »
 :cheers:  yeah and you have them mounted on wheels they were made for!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2014, 12:21:11 PM »
  Sumner, my car :lol: is a front wheel drive. These tires and wheels are just following along for the ride.

Yep, I forgot these were going to be the rear wheels/tires ...

... my bad and I'm sure they will be going faster than before  :-),

Sum

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 12:23:17 PM by Sumner »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2014, 01:25:58 AM »
Hopefully I can get the "Publisher" to straighten out the Fat Lady's  published "music" this week---if not I will try to put two and two together and put this crazy 2904 thing to bed.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2014, 08:09:00 PM »
Well the "opera company" the fat lady and the publisher don't seem to be interested in ending the final act.

Offline maj

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2014, 02:38:18 AM »
My results are the same
getting another tire on the way to BMST  (Bubs)
and i intend measuring the various sections on that tire  and comparing to the MC and Car specs we have seen, it should be obvious at that point

seems to be too much vested interest to get an objective answer

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2014, 12:02:24 PM »
Yes,   MY ASSUMPTIONS are:
 in one case the wheel supplier supplied the wrong information about their wheels
 the other supplier passed it on without verifying it ---
 but we all know about assumptions--- they are subjective  :roll:  :-o  YMMV

Caution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    this is MY opinion: YMMV
If one wishes to run these 2904's they are approved for LSR use by Goodyear for 1200# at 90 PSI to 300MPH

In all of the DRAG race teams we checked with that are running these 2904 tires we found none that they though or we thought were running the 2904 on AUTOMOTIVE wheels. 

I personally spent time with 2 wheel manufactures in the greater Phoenix area--- in their manufacturing areas, one of them PROVED to me with his Master 1/2 wheel made to MC specs almost drops in one of the 2904 tires.  The other makes a wheel that is slightly smaller that MC wheel specs.---it has a reputation of being easy to mount.

In MY OPINION-----THE BOTTOM LINE IS:

The 2904 is a MC spec tire that is being mostly used for automotive use-- ie TOP FUEL dragsters, it has a great reputation.
The wheels the racers we talked to run them on wheels that are made to MC specs.
The two wheel manufactures in the Phoenix area make dragster wheels to MC specs.

My Wheels are designed for Automotive use and are being modified in the rim area to MC specs so that we can mount the 2904 tires.  This is possible because the Auto. specs are larger and it is possible to remove more material to bring them down to MC dimensions.

MY ADVICE for 2904 want-a-be LSR users---

S.C.T.A. RULES to be aware of :

1.R
2.F
2.G

READ, READ & Re-READ rules 2.F , 2.G       ESPECIALLY last sentence of fourth paragraph of 2.G

Then reread 1.R

YMMV

see you on the LAKEBEDS
sparky   

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 02:41:32 PM by SPARKY »

Offline hotschue

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2014, 06:31:35 PM »
Have set 17x4  4" backspace Corvette wheels....new.... Listed in for sale section.
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2014, 07:15:26 PM »
and your point is about 2904 tires