Author Topic: Goodyear 22X4.0-17 #2904 Front Runners  (Read 33194 times)

Offline Duramax

Re: Goodyear 22X4.0-17 #2904 Front Runners
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2014, 12:25:49 PM »
....However, don't mention land speed racing.  Come up with a different application.  Seems somebody in the LSR community might have pissed the owner off, and they might refuse to make them.

I called, was refused.  Then called by 2 months later and said they were sled-pulling fronts, and they made them..

Are you sure they weren't refusing for a different reason, like they felt they weren't appropriate for the application?

I ordered wheels a couple months ago and again last week and had long talks with the owner both times and he was making the wheels specifically for an LSR car.  All of the wheels for Hooley's Stude have come from them,

Sum

They didn't give me a reason at all on my first call.  That's what made me think he was po'd at someone.  You know how grumpy old guys get.  This is late 2008, early 2009.  If you see one of these 18" wheels, it's obvious they are fine for heavy duty and high speed applications.  Ran like it was on rails, sturdy as heck.  If they weren't so crazy heavy, I'd have had him make my drag rims.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 06:03:29 PM »
well, Well, WELL---guess what sports fans---maybe the report of the FAT LADY having sung was in error!!!

Terry got a returned phone call today (not from Goodyear), from a person who had been out of the office for 10 days---  this person was represented to be "the wheel guy"   when asked about what kind of wheels their front runners mounted on---why automotive of course----

"By chance do you have their specs?"

Sure I have the right here with the car specs----when he read them off---  You are the WINNER!!!  What he read off are motorcycle!!

If we get the drawings and specs as promosied---we will be making follow up phone calls!!!

As they used to say on the old radio serials---Tune in tomorrow Same time same Station!!!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 09:26:05 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2014, 09:37:25 AM »
Sparky they also used to say, "Who knows what evil lurks in the minds of men!"  :-D

Tenacity aka anality pays off sometimes!  :cheers:

All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 09:39:36 AM »
10-4 on the sometimes---these young guys ---haven't  lived throught this evolution!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2014, 10:26:21 AM »
Made several more phone calls---Have come to the conclusion that the inmates are running the asylum!
  Drag teams want to run the lightest thing possible.
There is virtually no load on these things until the chute is out.  Their application loads them up after the run,  stop so fast---it does not ruin their day if they loose air, flat run and destroy the tire.

Much different than us---thank goodness Goodyear designed a tire that can be run on an AUTOMOTIVE WHEEL!!!

Thank YOU GOODYEAR for all of your LSR tires!!  We appreciate and run them ALL!!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 01:29:50 PM by SPARKY »

Offline Fheckro

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2014, 06:39:26 PM »
 If the speed you want to drive at is 175-250 mph, the safest tire you can run is a (Y) ZP design.  

amen.

if you notice the most popular (y) applications they are Michelin "pilot super sport" and "Pilot Sport Cup"

Ill bet they are tested to speeds way over what you will ever need. but then i am only guessing.
I think the test machine only goes to 240mph; but they are run as OE tires on super cars like the Bugatti Veyron EB 16.4.

hmmmm

drag tires are good for 1/4 mile

Fred
9479 Monza C/CGC
Current record Holder @ 180.000

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2014, 07:23:03 PM »
CAUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 :evil:  Much different than us---thank goodness Goodyear designed a tire that can be run on an AUTOMOTIVE WHEEL!!!  :evil:

CAUTION!!!!!!!!!!!  The above is a misstatement of fact!!!!!!!!!!!

We have NOT been able to mount the 2904 on automotive spec rims.

We have had the 2904 at 2 different tire shops that specialize in RACE tires---they were not able to mount.  My opinion is they are not designed to mount on automotive wheels as stated by others on this web site.  YMMV

I can be contacted through this site. 

Sparky

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2014, 09:20:37 PM »
CAUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 :evil:  Much different than us---thank goodness Goodyear designed a tire that can be run on an AUTOMOTIVE WHEEL!!!  :evil:

CAUTION!!!!!!!!!!!  The above is a misstatement of fact!!!!!!!!!!!

We have NOT been able to mount the 2904 on automotive spec rims.

We have had the 2904 at 2 different tire shops that specialize in RACE tires---they were not able to mount.  My opinion is they are not designed to mount on automotive wheels as stated by others on this web site.  YMMV

I can be contacted through this site. 

What does Goodyear say, Bill?  :?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Sparky

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2014, 10:03:59 PM »
Neil no official response yet!!   :roll:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2014, 10:20:21 PM »
Bill;

Give them a call.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2014, 01:30:03 PM »
Well the Fat Lady still hasn't started singing but we are pretty sure we know what song she is going to sing--- I am pretty sure I have heard the notes of the real last song!! 

There was a mix up in the music sheets, resulting in some bad information being published!!

Offline maj

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2014, 06:09:58 PM »
Publisher is very quiet

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2014, 10:21:39 PM »
LOL    :cheers:   that seems to so far be the case 

Offline racergeo

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2014, 12:35:23 AM »
  I am really at a loss reading this discussion. I mounted my 2904's with my own two hands using a brake adjusting spoon and a screw driver and it took me no more then 5 minutes with no damage to the bead. I used plain old fashioned dish soap as a lube. They just pumped right up and bead perfectly. I balance them by using dry bearings and a couple thou. of clearance. Heavy spot goes to the bottom. Then I simply experiment with tape on lead weight till you put it in several positions and it stays put. Same as we balanced GO Kart tires. I have never felt a vibration, but I don't go that fast I guess.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2014, 02:03:46 AM »
My guess is you are mounting the tires on rims they were designed for.   :roll: