Author Topic: Safety/stability of HTP  (Read 2524 times)

Offline tallguy

Safety/stability of HTP
« on: April 27, 2014, 03:39:01 AM »
I have some safety concerns about high-test H2O2.  It seems to want
to "self-decompose", which could be quite dangerous.  Here are my
specific questions:

Is "lower-grade" (say 90% H2O2, balance H2O) peroxide more stable
than "higher-grade" (say 98% H2O2, balance H2O)?  If so, does water
act as a stabilizing agent?

Are there "established, based on testing" safe pressure and temperature limits
for handling peroxide (at various specific concentrations)?

Are there "established, based on testing" safe limits of vibration and/or G-force,
or are the effective pressure and temperature the only non-chemical factors
considered, for a given specific H2O2 concentration?

I ask about all this because I'd hate to see a disaster happen in the Bloodhound
development/testing/running.

Thank you for any info anyone can provide.

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Safety/stability of HTP
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 08:53:18 AM »
Why don't you ask that question of the Bloodhound crew directly through their website or social media? Education is a large part of their overall mandate.

Pete

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 09:55:44 AM »
Your lack of knowledge in this area is apparently what creates your concern & an unlikely situation Richard & his team would find themselves in.
You might find a rocket scientist here but basically we are the wheel driven crowd.
  Sid.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 11:48:06 AM »
Regarding the safety of 90%-98% HTP on the Bloodhound project, I am certain that with the expertise of that organization it will not be a problem.
The safety aspects of storage and handling HTP are well documented by the suppliers of HTP. BECCO Chemical Division of FMC Corporation in Buffalo, NY was a supplier of propellant grade HTP for many years. James C. McCormick published a number of reports concerning HTP and its uses.
Both 90% and 98% HTP are highly energetic oxidizers. I have, in the past, used both in various high performance rocket-propelled vehicles without any safety issues. Understanding the proper materials and handling techniques is essential, however.
Solvay Interox, FMC Corporation, and Degussa currently supply propellant (rocket) grade HTP and can supply safe handling documentation.
FMC had supplied HTP for years in 300-pound specially constructed aluminum drums without any major issues.
Rule number 1 - HTP continually decomposes, liberating gasses that will build up high pressures in confined spaces.
Rule number 2 - any contaminant in containers or plumbing systems will accelerate decomposition
Rule number 3 - HTP is a very strong oxidizer and will ignite, with gusto, organic materials (cotton clothing, grease, etc.)
Again, I have handled HTP in the field for many years at drag strips and other unsanitary venues without issues. Bloodhound will have no problems doing the same.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 05:33:00 PM »
Some early applications of hydrogen peroxide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxAdGd6h2so

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline tallguy

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 01:40:00 AM »
Thanks, everyone.  I appreciate it.

Tallguy