Author Topic: Altered class body stretch?  (Read 11486 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Altered class body stretch?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 04:47:05 PM »
This 2% rule came about when Roy Fjastad brought a pro stock to Bonneville. It had the 2% stretch. As I recall he got in the 200 MPH club with it.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 04:50:13 PM »
It is no more or less work for us to add the stretch as we had already planned to use a new front frame and fiberglass front end. It will, however, give us a touch more room for the turbo doo-dads and wheelbase.
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 04:57:54 PM »
Since the rule book does not spell out the answer I might worry about what to do if the rule changes next year.

I say this because the opening lines for altered in section 5.D.2 all say the body is unaltered in height, width, length, or couture. The body panels must also be mounted in the original relationship.

As Dan pointed out the 2% stretch was added for mid 80's Pro Stock cars. As there may not be any of these running any longer the 2% rule might go away. A lot of work for 2" - 3"

Just food for thought...
Do you know something about next year's rules that we don't? I would think any rule could be changed from year to year, but only with good reason. "Who does this hurt to remain? Who does this help to remain? Is there a specific reason to eliminate this rule?" Those are the questions that I hope are asked and answered with impartiality.
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 05:06:13 PM »
Boy, you are new.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 06:37:02 PM »
.....As there may not be any of these running any longer the 2% rule might go away. A lot of work for 2" - 3"

Just food for thought...

Good food, I'd take that course,

Sum

Offline jl222

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 08:27:46 PM »
.....As there may not be any of these running any longer the 2% rule might go away. A lot of work for 2" - 3"

Just food for thought...

Good food, I'd take that course,

Sum

HEY...we built the 222 Camaro to this rule, complete body off over assembled [tacked togethered ] pro-stock chassis by Alston.
  Finished tig welded by certified aircraft welder hired by Pro-chassis. Pro-Chassis wanted welding to be perfect when we were building
for 300 mph. About 100 mph faster than pro-stockers at that time.
  Stock body 192.5 inchs + 2%= 196.35 or 3.85 inches.
  Why take it out? If you don't want to stretch it, don't.

We also added to the wheelbase. Results 286 mph 1n the 1/4, 294 mph avg, in 1st mile with indicated top speed of 318 mph on parts wash :-D

JL222 :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 11:09:19 PM by jl222 »

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 09:15:43 PM »
Since Glen mentioned Roy I'll continue my early answer. Yes it was Roy's Firebird during construction that the rule was changed. He asked me to come down and look at the car. I did not see it WAS changed from stock HE told me it was. At the time it was not legal. He decided to ask for a rule change before the car was run or finished and did use the NHRA allowance in pro stock for his suggestion.

At this time, and as the rules still state, the "body" was not altered in any way; it was a lengthening of the cowl which by definition is in front of the body..... Hey, these were " altered" class cars not production or gas coupes. Guys ( including me) were just taping off our grilles to run in altered when in reality these were true race cars there should be an advantage given to them?

Roy's rule suggestion was put in the book before his car ever ran and has been in ever since. Other converted front wheel GM  cars followed from NHRA classes and it has been a positive for our Motorsport. Personally if i was building an altered car and did add the 2% (which is a little over 2") to the cowl, the stock front wheel location would no longer be centered in the wheel we'll and look IMO stupid. The body proper still needs to be stock and as Dan restated don't read that much into the written word in the book. ( Is everybody Smokey?)
Good luck and keep racing..........JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 10:52:05 PM »
When you are building a frame and using a 1 piece nose that is already approved, it's really no more work then not doing it. I would think that a rule like that would have to allow grandfathering IF it were to go away....
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline jl222

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2014, 11:43:40 PM »

I would think the rule is for overall body length including hood and fenders. If front end is not included it could be modified.
 the rule book refers to many ''body mods allowed'' to the front end.

We purchased this Pro-stock approved 4'' stretch front end from Harwood fiberglass in 1989 and just replaced it with the exact same piece a couple years ago.

I corrected the body length in the previous post. Stock length 192.5 inches + 2%=196.35 in. or 3.85 in. stretch.

Believe me after all these years we measured with squares and tapes to make sure were not over the limits anywhere

JL222

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 10:34:51 PM »
jl, believe me I know how important correct measurements are. When I bought my roadster it was legal but the guy who owned it only ran Bonneville and since I was at the lakes too where others saw it soon the rules we "adjusted" too get rid of the stock grille shell. When I rebuilt the ( non Ford ) roadster the FIRST time in 1983 I  had to bring a stock hood to a Board meeting along with the hood I made so they could find me not meeting the rules ( little did they know I had a stock Austin American 1932 hood) also had to prove where the windshield mounted to prove the step pan met the demension rule, and where the wheels were and my inner fenders were in the stock position. In 1986 the board changed the body rules again three of them which made me unable to run again. By 1990 I met the new rules by removing the rear fenders, changing the rear end, and the fuel tank from infront of the grille. There were new measurements for total length and tread width......so your measuring tape in an important tool in the box.......JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2014, 01:55:34 PM »
The following is the response I received. We are good to go as planned.

Hello Chris,

In regards to your question on the 2% body stretch; The committee agrees you can use the total body length to calculate the stretch. However you can only stretch the cowl area as described in the rule book under section 4.MM. You may also alter the wheelbase a similar amount to keep the wheel / tire in the center of the wheel well.

Hope this and my other answers help in your project. Look forward to meeting you on the Salt.

Best Regards,
Mike LeFevers
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication