Author Topic: Altered class body stretch?  (Read 11541 times)

Offline javajoe79

Altered class body stretch?
« on: April 21, 2014, 02:00:48 PM »
 The book says a 2% maximum body stretch is allowed in the cowl area forward of the firewall. Does this mean 2% of total body length or wheelbase?

I know, I know call and ask the guy in charge of altered class..... spare me the lecture   :cheers:     I will if I don't get a solid answer here.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Altered class body stretch?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 05:42:03 PM »
The wording has been there for quite a few years. 
Also note that "burden of proof" lies with the contestant.  Most of the % rules are based on WB... if you need that extra inch, I would get it in writing from the chair.

you already know my opinion doesn't count  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 06:04:10 PM »
It's written "exactly"this way because there were a lot of NHRA pro stock cars being retired. At that time many were Pontiac Grand Ams, Olds Cieras etc. converted front wheel cars and Camaros/Firebirds and the ony difference between them and a " stock " body was additional length at the cowl. The additional wheel base of 2% were allowed too.

Don't write or read too much more into this. NHRA current pro-stockers are so much different today I'm not sure they would qualify....JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
I will be calling or emailing an SCTA person later today to be sure of this but we plan to use that 2% because we can as well as lengthen the wheel base by pushing the front wheel forward within the wheel well. The book does not mention any limit to wheelbase.
615-210-1605

Offline dw230

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 10:39:12 AM »
What does 2% figure out to be on your car?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 11:17:37 AM »
depends on if it's 2% of body length or 2% of wheelbase.    I just emailed Bobby Sykes and will post his reply to several questions that I had.
615-210-1605

Offline dw230

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 12:56:59 PM »
The rule reads 2% in the cowl. As you mentioned wheelbase is not addressed. This is not Smoky Yunick, where his famous theory was if it is not addressed in the rule book then it is not governed. JD wrote not to read too much into the rules.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 02:05:47 PM »
 I am just wondering what the 2% applies to. When you are talking about body stretch it would seem to make sense that the 2% would be 2% of the body, not the wheelbase.

I know how it says this stretch is allowed in the cowl and that is where we would add it. It would be over 2" and I think that it's worth it. We are using a one piece fiberglass nose, that we have been approved to use, and it has extra material on the back end of it.

So considering they allow this 2% I would assume that means the wheelbase can increase to match that 2% in body stretch. Also whether it is 2% of the body or 2% of the wheelbase matters in that it would be a difference of over an inch.

I fired off an email this morning though so I will have official word soon enough.

Thanks for the input DW
615-210-1605

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 09:20:52 AM »
DW,

One of the things we are trying to figure here is if we can stretch the body by X and then stretch the wheelbase more for stability as we never saw anything in the book about wheelbase. If that is open, then we will push it out some.
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline MRK

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 01:55:37 PM »
Rookie chime in time.........

As I read the paragraph in the rule book, there is nothing stated about wheel base as it pertains to "body stretch". I believe that the 2 percent is taken from the body OAL and then applied at the cowl area. As far as altering the wheelbase goes, I don't see anything in either the Modified general calss descriptions or the Altered "sub" class descriptions and since you are allowed to use any frame in your class, a wheelbase modification would be allowed as long as it didn't violate any other part of the rules in your class.

DW, am I on target with this interpretation?

Cheers, Mike
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 03:41:17 PM »
Rookie chime in time.........

As I read the paragraph in the rule book, there is nothing stated about wheel base as it pertains to "body stretch". I believe that the 2 percent is taken from the body OAL and then applied at the cowl area. As far as altering the wheelbase goes, I don't see anything in either the Modified general calss descriptions or the Altered "sub" class descriptions and since you are allowed to use any frame in your class, a wheelbase modification would be allowed as long as it didn't violate any other part of the rules in your class.

DW, am I on target with this interpretation?

Cheers, Mike

That is pretty much exactly how I interpret it and how we plan on proceeding. Just want to be sure before proceeding. I am still waiting for an email back for the official word.
615-210-1605

Offline dw230

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 11:12:50 AM »
I believe that the interpretation is acceptable. The modification, as mentioned in an earlier post, was done to follow mid 80s Pro Stock NHRA cars which began showing up on the salt. Later model coupes and sedans do not lend themselves to this mod but, since it is in the rule book the mod is allowed. The wheelbase issue is really a non-issue because the wb is not addressed. Keep in mind that the proof the modification is within specs as defined in the rule book is in the hands of the competitor. Be prepared with documentation that can be verified when in impound.

With all that said, since I have been removed from all board and committee positions I feel that I can no longer answer questions on behalf of the SCTA-BNI. Use section 16 of your rule book when asking technical questions that will need an "official" SCTA-BNI answer.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 12:48:44 PM »
Dan,

Thank you for the 'unofficial' interpretation. Even though you are no longer answering officially, it gives us a little more confidence moving forward that we are on the right path.

We took measurements of the OEM body length and wheel base before cutting it up and will keep those in our log book. I think I even have a factory service manual with that info but will look to see what is there.
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 03:10:34 PM »
Emailed a few days ago. Still waiting. I will call next week if I don't hear back.
615-210-1605

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 04:28:21 PM »
Since the rule book does not spell out the answer I might worry about what to do if the rule changes next year.

I say this because the opening lines for altered in section 5.D.2 all say the body is unaltered in height, width, length, or couture. The body panels must also be mounted in the original relationship.

As Dan pointed out the 2% stretch was added for mid 80's Pro Stock cars. As there may not be any of these running any longer the 2% rule might go away. A lot of work for 2" - 3"

Just food for thought...
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...