Author Topic: Probing for ideas for a FWD lakester  (Read 17197 times)

Offline Boostedballs

Probing for ideas for a FWD lakester
« on: April 21, 2014, 01:43:51 PM »
I'm in the planning and parts gathering stage of a front wheel drive lakester build and I'm looking for feedback and advise on it. Not sure if this should be in the build diaries section or not because I have not started building squat yet. I'm backing out of my Monza project because I figure that I can go faster in a lakester for the same money.

I'm picturing the front wheels sticking out of the body and the rear wheels tucked inside, like a backwards trike-looking thing. Driver seated right behind the engine. The exhaust and turbo system will be mounted right over the trans. Cooling water, batteries,etc mounted right behind the driver.

-Big Chevy or LS series Chevy mounted backwards.
-TH400 or 4l80E ???
-Quick change axle mounted upside down or some type of transfer case; U-joints at steering spindles from a Jeep Cherokee or Chevy s-10 mounted with air bags or leaf springs.
-Torsion rear suspension like the type used on trailers. Tucked inside of the body.

OR, should I ditch the FWD idea and go RWD for simplicity?

Offline revolutionary

Re: Probing for ideas for a FWD lakester
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 01:56:57 PM »
how fast do you want to go/record? plenty of 4 cyl/FWD turbo thingys out there that will make 1000hp.
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 02:15:14 PM »
If the rear wheels are inside the body it becomes a streamliner.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 02:57:59 PM »
Read Lakester again... sketch out what you are thinking... A FWD lakester can be doable
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Boostedballs

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 03:14:26 PM »
I want to go as fast as my wallet can take me without having to live on top ramen and macaroni and cheese.

Yeah, I guess it would be a streamliner with the rear wheels tucked in. Is there a "streamliner with training wheels" class?  :-P I really don't care what class or category it fits into but I would like to see what 300mph feels like. I think I can make that happen with a big cube Chevy and a turbo.

Offline BHR301

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 03:22:58 PM »
You might want to take a look in Build Diaries for "New Guy- New Bellytank Lakester". This build was a front wheel drive lakester.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,3011.0.html

Bill

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 05:54:30 PM »
Your only issue is you must build to the record in class... 300 to 400 MPH range equipment puts you in the ramen and mac range unless you already have a lot of money (that you are about to spend)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Texican

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 11:10:39 PM »
  Ask an engineer that's familiar with the laws of physics regarding weight shift, combined with wind resistance.

This crew has done some amazing things, but when you watch their utube, you can hear wheel-spin.
www.blacksaltracing.com

Rear wheel drive, or 4 wheel drive; (Twice the traction, and 10 times the problems); has been the accepted format since man's memory knoweth not the alternative.

It took the JCB diesel crew most of a week to get all the computers shaking hands to get to their record.
They had a huge crew and many megabucks; world's fastest man on wheels, etc.

Plan  a budget, list everything you can possibly think of; then add a whole bunch; say another 50% to be conservative.

If you exceed your dreams with $1.98 left over, Carmen's is a good place to party.

Good Luck and regards...

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 03:13:21 PM »
Probably the fastest FWD lakester is George Johnson's Saltosaurus  which at one time held the record at around 273-4 mph. I have attached a couple of pictures, note the exhaust. George has been talking about bringing it out again with a few mods and is looking for 300.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 05:42:11 PM »
  Ask an engineer that's familiar with the laws of physics regarding weight shift, combined with wind resistance.

This crew has done some amazing things, but when you watch their utube, you can hear wheel-spin.
www.blacksaltracing.com

Rear wheel drive, or 4 wheel drive; (Twice the traction, and 10 times the problems); has been the accepted format since man's memory knoweth not the alternative.

If you exceed your dreams with $1.98 left over, Carmen's is a good place to party.

Plan  a budget, list everything you can possibly think of; then add a whole bunch; say another 50% to be conservative.
Good Luck and regards...

Not sure what you're getting at there Tex.

FWD allows you to more easily obey the simple needs of getting a car to go fast and I reckon you've picked the greatest example there with Keith Copeland's car. Rear wheel drive suits many of the demands that a road car faces, but when you take towing and power over-steer out of the equation FWD looks pretty good. It puts the heavy stuff at the front, check, over the drive wheels, bonus! Unless of course you want to put the engine down the back :roll:.........

No doubt it would make for some interesting moments when you're out of shape at high speed, but every design has it's own personality.

I'm waiting to see how the old Strange Days car goes when someone gives it the slipper, George's car went OK........btw George, you'll have to go through licensing again won't you??? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 05:54:10 PM »
When a C-motored Modified Sports runs 380, they're doing something right.

Wonder if you could put an old F100 pickup body on it to drag it along and run Modified Pickup?

Or a wheel on a stick?

Just wondering . . .
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline tortoise

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 07:17:46 PM »
I figure that I can go faster in a lakester for the same money.

The cheapest 300 mph car would certainly be a streamliner. But would you really like going 300 in a class with  a 400+ mph record?

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 12:43:55 AM »
... George Johnson's Saltosaurus... Note the exhaust...
Noted but puzzled(?). Is it an 'aero' deal developed in a wind tunnel?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Boostedballs

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 12:57:40 AM »
I figure that I can go faster in a lakester for the same money.

The cheapest 300 mph car would certainly be a streamliner. But would you really like going 300 in a class with  a 400+ mph record?

I would love to build a streamliner but I am worried about stability at high speed. It just seems way riskier than a Lakester; am I wrong? I've never driven either. I would love to hear from those who have driven both.

And, yes, I would be thrilled to go 300, wether I'm competitive or not.

Offline Boostedballs

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 01:05:46 AM »
Probably the fastest FWD lakester is George Johnson's Saltosaurus  which at one time held the record at around 273-4 mph. I have attached a couple of pictures, note the exhaust. George has been talking about bringing it out again with a few mods and is looking for 300.

Rex

I like the looks of George's lakester! Having the exhaust in the low pressure region behind the tires is great. I'm sure it cleans the airflow up a bit and helps scavenge the exhaust at the same time.

I'm interested in the trans, diff and steering setup!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 01:08:00 AM by Boostedballs »