Author Topic: FlatCad Racing's 1938 Chevy Coupe  (Read 13828 times)

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
FlatCad Racing's 1938 Chevy Coupe
« on: April 20, 2014, 07:45:19 PM »
Flatcad Racing’s 1938 Chevy coupe is for sale!

Halibrand QC, Rankin 4-speed transmission -gear ratio as follows 1.79, 1.45, 1.13, 1.00, dry sump tank and plumbing, ballast, fire system, complete roll cage, etc.

Details and pics of the car can be found here: http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,8271.0.html

NO ENGINE! Available in August, after Speedweek. $25K
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline ronnieroadster

Re: FlatCad Racing's 1938 Chevy Coupe
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 09:01:22 PM »
 Wow Buddy at first I thought this post was dated April 1st but its not! Wondering what's going to happen after August?   :?
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 09:03:35 PM »
Buddy, this ain't 1 April like the last time.... Sure you're not going to keep it after it goes 200?
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 09:18:11 PM »
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,13822.0.html

I wonder if he's found something? 

:cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 06:34:02 AM »
Nope, no April fools here! :evil:

Ronnie, we'll still be on the salt-we just want to get into a lakester, or preferably a 'liner!

Stainless, whether the car goes 200 or not, it's for sale. I don't get very attached to hunks of metal, especially when the only way I can get a different car is to sell the one I have!

Mike, I haven't found one yet, but am dedicated to finding one that we can run in 2015. If I do find one that I think will work, I'll be posting questions on this site, to make sure it's the right car for us.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 10:12:31 AM »
As cool as the Chevy is, I know your passion is making the engine the star of the show.  Putting it into a Lakester or a Liner will definitely give the FlatCad a higher public profile.

I measured the garage, and I'm just not finding space for the Chevy, and Kate's already . . . well, . . I won't say irritated . . . annoyed would be the proper word . . . annoyed that I'm already storing the trailer in the back yard. 

Somebody's going to get a real solid roller with that one.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 11:05:51 AM »
As cool as the Chevy is, I know your passion is making the engine the star of the show.  Putting it into a Lakester or a Liner will definitely give the FlatCad a higher public profile.

I measured the garage, and I'm just not finding space for the Chevy, and Kate's already . . . well, . . I won't say irritated . . . annoyed would be the proper word . . . annoyed that I'm already storing the trailer in the back yard. 

So, MM- the I/GC record is in the 140 range. What do you think the KRover will push it?  :evil: :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 12:19:07 PM »

So, MM- the I/GC record is in the 140 range. What do you think the KRover will push it?  :evil: :cheers:

You know, one of the things that always bugs me is that everywhere you look, you see a Chevy engine in something else.

Nothing would gratify me more than to use a Chevy body with ANYTHING other than a bowtie engine.  For me, that's the magic of the Flatcad in this combination.

But because Kate is just now thinking I've gone a little bit off the deep end - I've managed to elude interventions by choosing smaller cars - I'm going to have to pass - for reasons of marital stability.  :wink:

Buddy - do you have this posted on the H.A.M.B. ?

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 12:51:57 PM »
FWIW, Ed Roth put a FE Ford (390 or 406 depending on the story) into his '55 Chevy.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline dw230

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 12:58:57 PM »
MM would have loved the later Tom Senter. Tom put his Ardun into a 2nd gen Camaro.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 01:22:49 PM »
FWIW, Ed Roth put a FE Ford (390 or 406 depending on the story) into his '55 Chevy.

Mike

If I remember the article correctly, Roth put the engine into the bay and "welded it where it fell."

If I could be crazy like Roth, then I'd consider myself a corking success.

MM would have loved the later Tom Senter. Tom put his Ardun into a 2nd gen Camaro.

DW

I seem to recall a 2nd gen Camaro at Elmo in '93 running a 351 Ford.

Yep - this is precisely the kind of thing that brought me to this party.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 01:58:56 PM »
  I believe that long time drag racer Clarence Everett of Salem, Oregon ran Bville with a flathead ford in a 1967 Camaro.   That would have been in the 70's.
                                                                                                                        Bob
Bob Drury

Offline dw230

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 02:09:44 PM »
The Hodges Brothers ran the red Camaro with the 351 for a while. Tommy got the EM 200 club hat in the car. The late Captain Billy Hodges raced with Mike Cook for many, many years.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline 4-barrel Mike

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 06:02:12 PM »
A lot of cross-breeding going on . . .

Just saw a Kaiser with a DeSoto hemi for SpeedWeek.  Might have saved Kaiser if they did it themselves.  Of course, I guess it didn't save DeSoto . . .
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records