Author Topic: Fire Sleeve w/ Velcro  (Read 3683 times)

Offline jdscott74

• New folks
Fire Sleeve w/ Velcro
« on: April 16, 2014, 03:20:22 PM »
Question about the fire sleeve requirements... 2.E. (page 20): http://www.speedtrialsbybub.com/2014_event/AMA-BUB-SR-2014-v2.pdf

"Aero/quip or equipment fire sleeve shall be securely fastened using metallic clamping devices over all gas/fuel lines and connectors."

What is acceptable? Would I be allowed to use fire sleeve with velcro? The velcro is protected by the fire proof sleeve material.

http://www.americanfiresleeve.com/firesleeve-with-velcro-high-temperature-heat-flame-fire-pyro-resistant-protection-sleeve-jacket-hose-wire-cable.html

Or do the rules strictly mean "Aeroquip fire sleeves" with the "Aeroquip clamps"?

http://www.aircraft-spruce.com/catalog/appages/aqfiresleeve.php

Thanks in advance, for the clarification!

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
Re: Fire Sleeve w/ Velcro
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 05:18:01 PM »
My understanding is  to use aero-quip or similar with same or better rating..............metal fasteners only.............I have seen a few with safety-wire.  Velcro boot-straps and seat fasteners are OK :lol:
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 05:54:16 PM »
On the two Vesco streamliners we use the orange fire sleeve that slides  over the wiring and all hoses. we tie it at each end with safety wire. Most racing catalogs show it. I wouldn't use velcro because the material will melt as it is plastic.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline jdscott74

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 03:56:18 PM »
Okay. It sounds like I should skip the Velcro sleeve, and go with the closed Aeroquip sleeve. Thanks!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 06:45:42 PM »
Or a hose clamp
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline shutterpilot

• New folks
Re: Fire Sleeve w/ Velcro - HELP
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 08:34:27 AM »
I too ordered this to slide over my fuel lines:
http://www.aircraft-spruce.com/catalog/appages/aqfiresleeve.php

BUT - my bike's a BMW airhead, and there's barely enough room to get the OEM fuel lines where they need to go (eg - the right side goes thru an exact gap in the airbox to cross over from the left side tap.

With an ID of 1/2 inch, there's just no way I can get the aeroquip fat rubber/fiberglass hose over the OEM lines and routed anywhere.

Can any one help me with options? I'm a total noob and have no idea how to do this properly to pass tech and be safe.

Offline maj

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 09:22:09 AM »
different route, open the hole , 2 shorter pieces of firesleeve , as long as the end result is fire resistant fuel lines

Offline shutterpilot

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 10:31:23 AM »
Thanks Maj.
Like the OP, I find the velcro shrouds by DEI attractive, because install would be so much easier. Its rated the same as Aeroquip (500ยบ).
Question - Does the whole fuel line, including the clamp, need to be under the fire sleeve? My sections are so short (2 inches) I'm unable to roll the sleeve back to put a safety wire clamp on the actual fuel line.

I've been looking at past BUB photos carefully, but cannot tell what, if any, folks have been using. I haven't yet even caught a glimpse of the aeroquips. Lots of braided hose those, although those aren't rated fireproof.

Has anyone successfully run something OTHER than the orange aeroquip?