Author Topic: Motorcycle Leathers Questions  (Read 3222 times)

Offline fj1289

• New folks
Motorcycle Leathers Questions
« on: April 15, 2014, 04:03:24 AM »
Yes - FNG with more questions!  Spent a few hours searching - saw the question raised once, but no answer...

Are zippered vents legal (assuming they are zipped shut!)?   The leathers I am looking at have zippered vents on each arm (bicep area), two on the chest, and one on the back.

Also have read of covering excess perforations or cloth sections with glued on leather panels - does that pass tech without sewing the panels in place?  (Primarily inside of arms and up the sides of the jacket)

Thanks,
Chris

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Motorcycle Leathers Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 08:19:52 AM »
Zippered vents zipped closed have passed tech many times on my leathers.

As for glued leather patches -- I'm pretty sure they'll be accepted, too, but let's see what others have to say on that opinion.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fj1289

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 09:02:35 AM »
Thanks for the replies

Good news on the zippered vents.

As far as the glues on "patches" - I meant as a way to cover either existing perforations or Kevlar stretch panels - NOT for replacing them or for actual repairs.  If the "cover up" panels come off due to  sliding on the salt, I figure that's not bad since then you've made it past the time of need to keep fluids out of them and you still have the intact base layers for abrasion and impact protection. 

I'll give Speedsport a call -- may be best to get my existing NJKs modified (to include correcting this strange shrinkage problem at the waist) than to try to find another set that will probably still need mods

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 06:54:54 PM »
I will bet your glued panels need stitched to be legal.  Any good leather shop you trust with your skin should be able to do that.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 07:50:57 PM »
If you go to your local cobbler (look it up if you're not old enough to know that word), make sure to request that he sew the patches on.  Last summer I took my leathers to the local guy so he would attach my 200 MPH Club patch to the jacket.  I expected that he'd sew it - but I didn't specify, so when I picked it up and paid my $10(!!!) and didn't look carefully until I got back to the house -- I found he'd used shoe glue on it.  Heck, I could have done that using cheap waffle syrup or the drain oil from the Bobcat. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 09:49:58 PM »
I took mine to a luggage repair shop for patches and a zipper replacement.  They are equipped to do that kind of work. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O