The Bend in the Road
10 (40%)
On the Lake Superior beach
0 (0%)
Not at all - I won't attend anyway
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: July 24, 2014, 09:38:19 PM

Author Topic: Salt Talks 2014 t-shirts  (Read 104538 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Salt Talks 2014 t-shirts
« on: April 14, 2014, 09:18:38 AM »
It's about time to get going on the shirts for this year's Salt Talks.  I'll ask that we do it the same way as we have the past few years -- "auctioning" the spots on the front of the shirt.  Cars, bikes, trucks, or whatever you've got that'd look good on the shirt.  Remember that we'll be doing the work with real photographs -- no artist re-drawing of the chosen few vehicles, and that means that we'll need a really good photo.  If you've got one of the sorta common shots of your racer against the mountains in the background of either EM or Bville -- that's great because then we can concentrate on your vehicle - not the stuff of the pits or the line or something.  The better the photo -- the better the shirts.

As for the back of the shirt -- that's reserved for now.  I will sell spots on the sleeves, though -- see last year's shirt to see how Wheelerdealers's sleeve ad worked.

I'm not in a great hurry to get the spaces sold -- will be satisfied if we make the decision by mid-May or so.  Sooner is fine with me, too.

Think about the 2014 Salt Talks t-shirt now and have your vehicle immoralised (sic!) on it. :lol: :lol:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SaltRat

Re: Salt Talks 2014 t-shirts
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 10:36:01 AM »
Hoping to see the back feature our departed friend Ray.
SaltRat
When (if?) this baby hits 88mph, you'll see some serious poo.

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 12:45:08 PM »
Hoping to see the back feature our departed friend Ray.

:cheers: I couldnt agree more

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 11:11:56 AM »
Hey, HEY, HAY!!  It's the first of May and time to get going with the annual Salt Talks t-shirts art auction.  Here's the story (in case you don't already know it):

Each year at SpeedWeek we hold Salt Talks -- a picnic for everyone that wants to spend some time enjoying a hamburger or hot dog or chicken or whatever else we have.  It's open to all - racers, crew, spectators, and townspeople.  It is the single biggest fundraiser for landracing.com, and to help make a buck (to keep the site up and running) we create and sell commemorative t-shirts.  In the deep past we'd pick some vehicles and put them on the shirt, make a bunch of shirts, and hope to sell enough to at least get our money back - but better still, make a couple of bucks.  Sometimes that worked, and sometimes -- well, we've got lots of old shirts in the basement.  So - Stainless offered a great idea that's worked well for the past three or four years.

How'd you like to have YOUR vehicle on the shirt?  It's easy - just ante up.  We put three (sometimes four) vehicles on the shirts, choosing which ones because the owner/crew/rider/driver has ponied up the most $$ for the honor of having his vehicle displayed for all to see.  We'll have something like 125 shirts made.  We make 'em here at Kudos Laser (our store) and will use full-color photos, not just plain ol' silk screen, so the colors will be accurate and very permanent.  You'll need to send us a photo that you want on the shirt - that's it.

There's room, as I said, for three or four vehicles.  We put a logo and the event date on the front, too.  The back of this year's shirt is reserved for Ray the Rat, but we've got room on the sleeves for you or your company or shop to have us put a logo or something on them.  That'll cost you, too.

How much?  Well, for the past few years we've managed to raise about a thousand dollars by auctioning off the space on the shirt.  We then sell the shirts at Salt Talks for $20 each.  If you are one the three or four high bidders -- yes, you'll get a discount on the shirts that you buy.

Here's your chance to show everyone your ride.  You're encouraged to send your "bids" to me by posting here, by PM, by email, or by sending a large envelope chock full of cash. :evil:  The bidding is open now -- and you'll have a week or two to see how much you want to donate to the site - to be on the 2014 Salt Talks t-shirt.  Let's hear from you soon. :cheers: :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 03:48:30 PM »
Folks, did I say something that got you all cranky?  No responses yet for the shirts -- not even a question about something, much less a "bid" to get a space on the shirts.  We've learned that to be a true fundraiser for the site that we need to pre-sell the shirts, so to speak.  If we don't get some offers we'll put the idea of Salt Talks 2014 shirts away (maybe next year?) and see if there's something else that you'd rather have, like maybe coffee mugs with photos on 'em.  I would really like to stay with something that's pretty big this year - so we can put our bit of homage to Ray the Rat on each one.

Let's see --- Salt Talks shop rags?  Salt Talks official toilet seat covers?  Nah -- where'd the art go?  Let's hear somoe ideas, please, or better still -- some bids to be on the shirts.  We need to get the shirts going so we can get the art ready and have the originals made and order the shirts and produce the shirts, and - - whew, I'm tired just thinking about it all.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 11:11:52 AM »
Here I go again.  I've received no responses from you folks (or anyone) about the 2014 Salt Talks t-shirts.  I'll take that (if I don't hear something pretty soon) as a statement that you're not all that fired up about the shirts for this year, and that will take us to something - unh, drastic - sorta.

We do intend to have shirts this year*.  The sale of them is the biggest individual fund raising source for landracing.com, so we can't give up completely.  The kitty is getting pretty danged empty now and needs refilling.  But if I can't get you to commit to sending some money in advance I'll cut the number of shirts that we make.  Where we have been getting 120 or so -- I can see maybe half that amount this year.  The cost of getting the shirts ready is what makes us want to get some $$ up front - so we don't end up with a bunch of extras if there's something like a rainout that cancels Salt Talks.  Making the smaller amount saves us part of that big expense.

* We want shirts this year so we can have a visual monument to Ray Buck (a/k/a Ray the Rat).  I know we could make and sell some shirts with Ray (only) on them, but I'm hesitant to try to raise money for the website by using his unfortunate and untimely death as the exclusive reason to buy a shirt.  I'd rather have him contributing in his own way - just like you will when you offer some money in exchange for your place on the shirts.

Let's hear from you, please.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 11:27:42 PM »
OK Slim, I'm in for the same as the last several years.  Don't remember the number but I will look it up on my paypal.  I'll find something for a Pic

come on guys, it is a LR.com fundraiser
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 01:57:36 PM »
me too!!
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 04:26:21 PM »
Come on guys, you are bound to be tired of seeing my and SSS stuff on the t-shirts. A couple of hundred bucks is the cheapest you can get to have your car or bike on a t-shirt. And it keeps this website going for all of us.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 10:36:21 PM »
OK kids, I moved this to an area that most will read. 
You want to see Freud naked on a motorcycle again?  :evil:
Or would you prefer the 7 moons over the Bockscar?   :evil:  :evil:

It is a fundraiser, and you can put your favorite vehicle on the Salt Talks shirt.  Step up and fund this for the website. 

Don't make me pick a photo for the shirt.  AGAIN  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 11:11:29 PM »
Incentive... thinking this would work
Stainless

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 01:35:07 AM »
Hey, I'd buy two of those!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline garys speed shop

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 07:18:47 AM »
We would put up $500.00 for the cause.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 10:07:48 AM »
Hey, hey, HAY!  Thank you, GSShop!  I was worried that the shirts wouldn't be as good as we want them to be.  That is -- well, Stainless wanted to use the photo of his entire crew mooning the camera (with the car in the foreground), and that would have somehow "cheapened" the shirt, I think. :roll:  If the had at least used make-up and powdered their cheeks (so to speak) it might have been acceptable.

So thank you very much.  We ordered the blank shirts yesterday - somehow knowing the you and maybe someone else will come through to keep Stainless or Fred off the shirt.  Although -- they've been reliable sponsors of it for a few years, and I'd like to acknowledge their continuing work.  maybe if we had the Stainless crew AND Fred mooning the - - nah,l never mind.  I'll get in touch with you via PM.  Thanks again.

Anyone else?  You've still got a bit of time to get on the shirt front.  It'll be a good one this year, I promise.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 01:53:58 PM »
Hey, hey, HAY!  Thank you, GSShop!  I was worried that the shirts wouldn't be as good as we want them to be.  That is -- well, Stainless wanted to use the photo of his entire crew mooning the camera (with the car in the foreground), and that would have somehow "cheapened" the shirt, I think. :roll:  If the had at least used make-up and powdered their cheeks (so to speak) it might have been acceptable.

Jon,

how you know? if you ask so...here is the picture.... :-D :-D :-D
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)