Author Topic: Big Bloch Chevrolet complete parts list.  (Read 8865 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Big Bloch Chevrolet complete parts list.
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 10:23:41 AM »
This collection of replies probably illustrates that those expensive engines purchased from various engine builders are not as overpriced as they may at first appear.  :evil: :-D :-D

Pete

"Everybody wants to knit their own sweater".

Avis Martin

MM, I'm very much a DIY guy but when someone spends good money for me to build or prep a serious race car I know there are lots of people build a stronger engine than me. At that point I recommend that they source the engine from someone who has the facilities to build and dyno the engine properly.  :-D :-D :-D

If it's my own car I've built my own engines. I'd probably be better outsourcing those engines too!  :roll: :roll: :roll:

Pete

Offline edinlr

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 12:09:59 PM »
Very few individuals or shops can build a big block Chevy as well as Reher-Morrison.  Since they opened for business in the early 70's, their deal was that they sold virtually all the same technology to their customers as what they used.  If you can even remotely afford one of their engines, why try to do it yourself?  This way you know the valve reliefs are perfect for that cam and piston and that everything has been dialed in correctly.  When they raced pro stock they must have had 100 different custom tunnel rams that they tried in an effort to maximize horsepower.  With R-M's experience and dyno capabilities, I doubt an individual could build an engine that would get within fifty horsepower of one of their combinations.
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 12:26:50 PM »
Very few individuals or shops can build a big block Chevy as well as Reher-Morrison.  Since they opened for business in the early 70's, their deal was that they sold virtually all the same technology to their customers as what they used.  If you can even remotely afford one of their engines, why try to do it yourself?  This way you know the valve reliefs are perfect for that cam and piston and that everything has been dialed in correctly.  When they raced pro stock they must have had 100 different custom tunnel rams that they tried in an effort to maximize horsepower.  With R-M's experience and dyno capabilities, I doubt an individual could build an engine that would get within fifty horsepower of one of their combinations.

Edinlr,

I am a huge fan of R&M and completley agree with you. Just dont get Sparky started on them more than he already has  :-). In spending time with him last year helping finishing his lakester, he's not very fond of his fellow Texans in Arlington. But everybody is entitled to their opinions and you have to respect a person for that.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 12:43:19 PM »
There are lots of good engine builders around. There are also lots of individuals who think they're good engine builders. The best way to find one in your area is to ask around and find someone who has EARNED a good reputation. I have used both local engine builders and builders from most of the way diagonally across the continent. Generally I've had very few problems with any builder that's gained a solid reputation.

Pete

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 11:47:58 PM »
Plus Reher-Morrison have the best head guy on the planet working for them if you want to step it up!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2014, 12:06:11 AM »
Frankie Said---  But everybody is entitled to their opinions and you have to respect a person for that!!

Sparky SAYS  "Frankie  you are way out of line, in my opinion, speaking for some one else!"   If I want my opinions real or imagined out there for all to see just how stupid I may be!!  I would appreciate it if in the future you please let my OWN alligator mouth over load my humming bird ASSine!!"
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2014, 08:50:04 AM »
Frankie Said---  But everybody is entitled to their opinions and you have to respect a person for that!!

Sparky SAYS  "Frankie  you are way out of line, in my opinion, speaking for some one else!"   If I want my opinions real or imagined out there for all to see just how stupid I may be!!  I would appreciate it if in the future you please let my OWN alligator mouth over load my humming bird ASSine!!"

My apologies Sparky. I was out of line and I apologize sir. I will say though that in my time around you I never heard anything remotely stupid out of your mouth nor did I ever see any examples of your alligator mouth override your hummingbird asinine  :-)

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2014, 09:21:50 AM »
Below is a general list but may be modified to meet your needs.

block
crank
rods
pistons
rings
main bearings
rod bearings
cam bearings
camshaft
lifters
heads
valves
springs
retainers
locks
spring seats
seals
shims
pushrods
rockers
head gaskets
remaining gaskets
oil pan
oil pump
oil filter
oil tank
oil fittings
oil lines
pump mounting bracket
tank mounting bracket
intake manifold
intake gaskets
timing set
cam button
timing cover
timing pointer
balancer
fastener kit
valve covers
freeze plugs
paint
silicone
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2014, 09:33:16 AM »
BTW, the list above for 'good' parts is about $15k plus machine work for a conventional headed BBC. Assuming you buy off the shelf parts. the best bargains on new stuff is definitely the crate motor route from places like RM or Shafiroff. Be careful though because the advertised priced are usually with the cheap stuff (Chinese crank, off brand lifters, etc) that you DO NOT want. To get one with a Callies or better crank, oliver rods and good lifters will be about $18-20k

Honestly, the best way to get a good engine cheap is to buy a used high dollar engine, like a 14 or 18 degree engine, and freshen it with new rods, pistons, rings, bearings, valve springs, valves, etc. You can pick up a really nice 598 or 632 Big Chief/Duke engine for about $12k and spend about $6k on it to get a solid engine that would have cost minimum $25-40k to build from scratch. That is the route I was going until I got a great deal buying a conventional headed 555 that I built a couple years ago for a friend. Could not pass it up.

Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2014, 01:04:10 PM »
who has EARNED a good reputation.  Oh so true---that is why I use an eng builder in TX---

10-04 on watching out for what goes into your eng---one of the main reasons why I use a guy in TX  he will let me supply the parts and he builds winning engs!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2014, 07:12:43 PM »
Rob, I can easily save you 25K- the FlatCad is about the same size as a BBC.... :-D :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2014, 05:36:14 PM »
Below is a general list but may be modified to meet your needs.

block
crank
rods
pistons
rings
main bearings
rod bearings
cam bearings
camshaft
lifters
heads
valves