Author Topic: Nathan Ostich's Henry J  (Read 2999 times)

Offline lsrjunkie

Nathan Ostich's Henry J
« on: April 07, 2014, 11:14:27 AM »
Hey all! I've been doing some reading and found that Nathan Ostich, the jet car guy, ran a "highly modified" Henry J in 1957 at Bonneville. Moreover, it was powered by some sort of early hemi out of a Chrysler 300, it was blown, and the blower was turned by a Harley Davidson motorcycle engine. Apparently they weren't allowed to run for a record but it was allowed to run for what today would be TO. All the info I could find said it ran real close to 190 mph.

Does anybody have any info on this car, or better yet, pictures? I'm very interested to see what it looked like, for obvious reasons.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 11:24:40 AM by lsrjunkie »
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Ken Yooper

• New folks
Re: Nathan Ostich's Henry J
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 11:14:03 PM »
Alan Bradshaw briefly talks about it here.  

http://www.samuelhawley.com/bradshaw.html
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 11:15:41 PM by Ken Yooper »
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.  If it's not worth doing right then it's probably not worth doing at all.  (Andy Granatelli in Gasoline Alley 1964)

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 09:38:36 AM »
Thanks Ken! But that's the only other mention of the car I've been able to find. What piqued my interest was the mention of it in the "Century of Speed" book. I have beat around the internet mercilessly for the last few nights, all to no avail.

I'm sure somebody out there has more info on it. Any one?
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline jl222

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 01:57:46 PM »
Alan Bradshaw briefly talks about it here.  

http://www.samuelhawley.com/bradshaw.html

Thanks...great history :cheers:

JL222

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 07:50:38 PM »
Other did this. Jack Underwood was involved with drag coupe that had a 6-71 in the trunk powered by an Onan I believe. The tubes run thru the body. They would crank up the blower engine at the line and had a plate in the tube connected to the throttle and when the flag dropped it took off. Hauled the mail for that time They were building a dragster to use with it when "life" came along: work, marriage, houses, children, etc.....Ask him about it some time.....JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 09:53:34 AM »
I've heard of guys using all sorts of crazy things to turn a blower. That's a cool story JD.

I am really interested in what Dr. Ostich's little Henry J looked like.

Or any other Henry J that has raced out at Bonneville for that matter.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 01:49:36 AM »
Type "My World's First Externally Powered Supercharged" into u-tube.  A little movie will come up showing a Harley powered blower on a Chevy dragster.