Author Topic: New Goodyear top fuel front tires 23.5x17  (Read 24109 times)

Offline racergeo

Re: New Goodyear top fuel front tires 23.5x17
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2014, 02:09:31 PM »
   Went to the NHRA event in Seattle yesterday. Asked several top fuel crew chiefs if they changed rims for the D2904 tires and they all said no. I went to the Goodyear trailer and got 4. Saw some of the guys I used to run against in Top Alcohol and they were running the 2904 and said the same thing. Got lots of inquiries as to why I was carrying 4 tires around. LOL George

Offline maj

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2014, 08:23:04 PM »
George for those of us less familiar with top fuel wheels ,
Which do they use

Offline desotoman

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2014, 10:01:58 PM »
Maj,

You might want to check with Weld Racing as they make the 17" Top Fuel Wheels. Here is their information.

Weld Racing’s business hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Central Time Monday through Friday.
Phone: (800)788-9353 Fax: (816)842-6747 Email: info@weldracing.com

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2014, 12:55:42 PM »
   I have two Centerlines and two welds and they are both 2.25" wide inside. I already mounted one pair and put them at 90lbs and they look perfect. Goodyear said they were designed so everyone wouldn't have to buy new wheels. I mounted them, lightly taped them on the ground all the way around , put air to them and they instantly beaded up. They have very obviously heavier casings and very little tread and a very hard compound. I asked a few crew chief if they worked good and they said they were no longer having chunks of rubber come off. Nice.

Offline maj

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2014, 04:27:56 AM »
Tom i tried that several weeks ago with 2 companys that make  2.125 anglia spindle wheels and got no reply from either 

George can i assume the wheels you have are motorcycle spec then ? with 3mm smaller diameter,  16mm bead width and the smaller  radius on the bead edge ?

Offline racergeo

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2014, 07:26:35 PM »
   The are wheels that were on my TAD from 1996. I did have a MC front tire on them, with permission from Lee K. but these wheels are for car tire beads, not MC. That is why they told me I could no longer run the Pirelli tires I had no problems with at 275 mph.  ???

Offline maj

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2014, 07:35:32 PM »
See what i get for assuming  :-D

Thanks George

Offline racergeo

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2014, 07:47:26 PM »
  I just went out in the shop and put my JET RACING stagger tape to a MC wheel I was try to get permission to use and to one of my Centerline 17" dragster front wheels. 53 3/4" circumference give or take a few blonde ones on both wheels. That's all I have to say on this subject!!!!  ( read a small amount of bitterness it to it) George

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2014, 11:13:54 AM »
ahh-- but now this tire is rated for LSR so the wheels and tires are a match made in Akron ????????? :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2014, 10:46:12 PM »
Between George and Sparky we seem to have established that the wheel for the 2904 should be a motor cycle configuration and SCTA has approved their use. This is a picture of the Costella/Hoogerhyde I gas lakester at Elmo in June and it looks to me like they are using the 2904 as a drive tire. Anyone have any info on this? as I would really love to run them on both ends of my J class lakester.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.