Author Topic: New Goodyear top fuel front tires 23.5x17  (Read 24146 times)

Offline jacksoni

Re: New Goodyear top fuel front tires 23.5x17
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 09:25:09 PM »
Have no need for such tires but curiosity prevails. Of course have no idea what a J contour is so google= http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html   provides some explanations for those interested. I am sure there is more. If the bike wheels don't have a "j" contour, what prevents them from getting them made that way to fit whatever bike they are running. I am pretty sure those of us getting car wheels made have never asked the mfg what rim contour they are using. I suppose for speeds these may be used in, it makes sense to be sure they are right.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline will6er

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2014, 10:23:05 PM »
Is there a list (for publication) of approved tires for over 200? Obviously SCTA has to have one for the tech people.

Will Willis

Offline Duramax

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2014, 08:59:40 PM »
Is there a list (for publication) of approved tires for over 200? Obviously SCTA has to have one for the tech people.

Will Willis

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong -

Unless there has been a change in the last 7 years, the acceptable tires are determined at tech.  There is no detailed high speed tire info in the rule book last I checked.  Which kind of sucks if you must drive several hundred miles to find out.

The M/T's Bonnevilles & Goodyear LSR's are unpublished legal, but all other 175mph+ choices are subject to opinion.  They graceously allowed me to run the highest speed rated steel radial (149mph DOT at 3086 lb ea) that was safe for my truck, but told me that if I went 175.001 mph or faster I'd get sent home immediately.  People thought I went home because I had no chute.  They were wrong.  The chute was in the trailer.  Later on, after the race, the tires tested out at safe to 215mph at 2200lbs (true load that year was 1720/1550 lb at the factory published pressure).  But testing is not where it's at, and it's expensive to boot.  Opinion is more critical.  So I had to drop $4000 more for a set of bald tires with no published weight rating or suggested inflation pressure.

The next year, they allowed another similar truck but with higher front tire loading to run on DOT tires and rims that weren't even rated at a high enough weight or speed for the truck to go up to 200mph.  They got lucky.  If they were in the other line, they might have gotten sent home.

So it just depends.  You will not get answers that matter before the event.  Things said before the race as being legal or illegal do not hold water in tech.

This might be taken as whining, but it is more aimed at preparing those new racers that are aiming at 175+.  Save yourself the grief and just get the approved MT/GY tires, or bite your nails with anything else.  Do NOT use your judgement, experience, or testing as to determine what is safe for your set-up.  And whatever you do, do not argue with the tech guys.  Even if their suggestions are known to you to be dangerous, follow them to the letter.

Offline maj

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2014, 06:02:56 PM »
Just to update this thread
The tires are definitely motorcycle rim type
i brought 1 and mounted it on a 17" space saver so i could shave the corners for motorcycle use
it was extremely tight, 140 psi only just got it on and still took a couple of mins to pop onto the bead (in a truck tire frame for some sort of safety )
found out from the tire guy shaving them for me that the motorcycle rims are 433mm at the bead and car rims 436mm
and for anyone thinking of doing like i tried ,  shaving these is a PITA , there definitely not round at 60 psi , we did not bother with the 23.5, as i was taking only the corner off and it would only have done this on 1/2 the tire d2284 for the rear was more successful
looks like sander polisher with 40 grit will have to do

Oh and i got an email from Goodyear stating "Regarding use of D2904 for landspeed racing applications we certified that tire up to   300mph at a load of 1200lbs at 90 psi "
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 06:08:37 PM by maj »

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2014, 06:25:46 PM »
Oh and i got an email from Goodyear stating "Regarding use of D2904 for landspeed racing applications we certified that tire up to   300mph at a load of 1200lbs at 90 psi "

Excellent, good information.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2014, 06:28:40 PM »
Maj what space saver wheel did you use?

And the drama goes on--  well at least we know that they will mount on car wheels like Goodyear says they are designed for.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 06:33:55 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline maj

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2014, 06:34:38 PM »
GM from our commodore (your Pontiac)
not very many around in these parts, and its  poor fit , apart from the diameter, its too wide and there is a huge rim offset 
never was going to be permanent

Offline maj

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2014, 06:20:42 PM »
Further updates, been in contact with SCTA tech ,  car profile beads on bike profile rims are not acceptable
I need to check my space saver rim and make sure its a J , my misfit may be from that.
otherwise this explains why exactly there not a good idea

and my current options include machining my bike rim to suit, as long as its not going to weaken the rim, an old  rim will be sacrificed for science
and also looking at top fuel anglia spindle rims and how easy they are to convert from tapered bearings to ball bearings and spacers, and if there offsets allow this and fit in bike forks , currently waiting on specs from MT and American racing
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 06:57:56 PM by maj »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 02:22:46 PM »
MAJ,

Thanks for the "details posts" now we know just exactly what the issues are--
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline maj

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 05:24:56 PM »
Pic was from the goldwing forum , guess they run car tires on there bikes

Sparky, i am holding off doing anything until i hear how your tires fitted on the J profile at Nates  ,
Terry built you some very nice wheels  :cheers:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 06:18:44 PM »
guess I better get busy and call Nate!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2014, 02:57:14 PM »
WOW---called Nate this morning and was told he is on the mend from a quadruple bypass!!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2014, 12:13:02 AM »
Maj,  Shelby Goodyear  tried to mount mine went to 160 and never got the last POP -- twice we waited for around 5 minutes  keep your fingers crossed you may be running those on a bike yet!!!---
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 10:31:51 AM by SPARKY »

Offline maj

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2014, 12:16:21 AM »
Should be easy to x reference the bead width and radius on the tire and rim
I would have checked but for the assembly was in transit
Having a 3piece rim made as I have no time to make the car rim to fit the motorbike forks
after we can confirm its a case of having both available and mount the tire on the correct one

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2014, 10:33:40 AM »
I have asked that somehow we get THIS in writing so that we can ALL work with this new LSR tire!!