Author Topic: New Goodyear top fuel front tires 23.5x17  (Read 24139 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
New Goodyear top fuel front tires 23.5x17
« on: April 05, 2014, 07:44:13 PM »
I got a call from Steve Nelson, (V4/FL record holder, car no. 221) and he has talked to the Goodyear engineer regarding using the new(er) top fuel tire at over 200 mph ( the old ones are limited by Goodyear and SCTA to 200 mph max) and the engineer said that they would be good for 300 mph and he is going to send SCTA an letter stating this. This is a pretty good deal for the lakester and modified roadster classes as these tires will greatly reduce front tire frontal area.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: New Goodyear top fuel front tires 23.5x17
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 08:50:56 PM »
The 22x4-17  #2904  :?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 09:05:23 AM »
Heard the rumor at the GNRS but need to see the approved letter! $$$, P/N? & Load rating?  :?
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline maj

Re: New Goodyear front tires D 2904
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 06:31:25 PM »
I emailed goodyear about the 2904 and they replied

we certified that tire to 300mph at 1200lbs load rating and 90 psi

now all we need is a motorcycle profile   :-D

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 07:17:07 PM »
I have been working on this since last fall.

We have been unable to get anyone to tell us in writing what wheel this thing mounts on:  CAR or Motorcycle 

So far they have not responded to one of THEIR OWN race tire distributors who has sold lots of these 2904 Front runners!!!!!!!!

We have contacted all three drag tire Manufactures  ---the same result-- no one will say theirs mount on car or motorcycle wheels If they know which specs their tires mount on, they will not say--

Go figure!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Freud

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 08:15:01 PM »
But they will sell them to you.

Even if they don't tell you how to use them at the best advantage.

Blow up or jump off?

Sorry, you didn't use the proper wheel.

Been there, heard that but the check cleared the day after they received it.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline maj

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 10:19:04 PM »
Its my intention to mount one on a car space saver rim , scrub it to a more motorcycle profile then fit it on my motorcycle rim

i'll let you now how the fits compare

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 02:23:11 AM »
I was told that it was to be mounted on  a car rim 2.5" to 3.0 " by a Goodyear eng.

I have read that it could be mounted on a 2.5" to a 3.5" wheel---no mention car or motorcycle  by a Goodyear  guy!

I have heard lots of stories by folks in the know how inconsistent they mount on existing wheels that are being sold and used by the drag guys!!

BUT I haven't found anyone who will tell me what the are SUPPOSED TO BE MOUNTED ON!! 

We have 2 20" X 5" T-7075 and a machinist ready to go when we can find out!!

We have been told by Goodyear that they wish to work through the SCTA---If they have released these tires for limited LSR use one would think they would let some one know what the specs are..  They just keep saying that they are designed to be used with existing wheels!!! 

But no one wiil say what they are!!!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 04:47:18 AM »
Why doesn't someone arrange to take a look at the front wheel for a fuel dragster and take a profile from that? That's obviously what the tire's been designed for so make use of that information which shouldn't be all that difficult to get.

Pete

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 09:36:00 AM »
Terry Mouer, the Machisnist has all ready done that.  We have the specs of the specs of the car and the motorcycle rim associations.  We have put car, motorcycle, and top fuel dragster wheels side by side.  The drag wheels LOOK and measure closer to motorcycle specs---

But THIS is almost becoming FUNNY how no one will say what WHEELS their tires are designed to be mounted on.  We think we know, The race tire dist. has given us his opinion on how to proceed. But they do not want to offend big mama and neither do we.  The Dragster Wheels are not useable for our application, IMO--- ymmv.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 10:47:25 AM »
I agree with your evaluation of the dragster wheels,

Pete

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 11:09:36 AM »
YEAH!!  we may have finally poked the right frog, (by asking the right question)--- at the right time, at the right extension number, and he jumped---)  seems like there MAY be a SFI spec. for front dragster wheels.  We are getting help from Goodyear with this NOW!!  I will furnish the Spec. # if I find it!!

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 01:39:27 PM »
Looking at a 2012 NHRA rulebook online, the SFI spec for a Top Fuel Dragster front wheel is SFI Spec 15.2. That is the same spec for Funny Car as well. Hope that helps

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 03:17:51 PM »
Thanks, SFI 15.2  does not have specs

Well the Fat Lady is warming up back stage!!!

I got a return call from the "Goodyear Tire guy"

definitive ans:: Tire was designed to work on The Tire and Rim Association' 5deg. J(ISO) contour 17" rim. 

Motorcycle wheels do not have a J contour-----so it is a so called Car wheel.  Was told that I could have that in writing and we agreed that the SCTA should be copied !!!!  This puppy is about to be put to bed  Thanks To all the Goodyear guys who responded by getting the right message to the right depts. !!! 

I will post when I have recieved written conformation!!

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 03:59:36 PM »
Thanks, SFI 15.2  does not have specs

Well the Fat Lady is warming up back stage!!!

I got a return call from the "Goodyear Tire guy"

definitive ans:: Tire was designed to work on The Tire and Rim Association' 5deg. J(ISO) contour 17" rim. 

Motorcycle wheels do not have a J contour-----so it is a so called Car wheel.  Was told that I could have that in writing and we agreed that the SCTA should be copied !!!!  This puppy is about to be put to bed  Thanks To all the Goodyear guys who responded by getting the right message to the right depts. !!! 

I will post when I have recieved written conformation!!

I saw on your other thread that you finally got your answer. Nice to see that persistance and patience paid off for ya SParky  :-)