Author Topic: SpeedWeek Photography - Newbie Questions  (Read 1813 times)

Offline JDW22

• New folks
SpeedWeek Photography - Newbie Questions
« on: April 05, 2014, 11:50:10 AM »
Making my first trip to SpeedWeek this year and bringing my cameras along so I can capture the unique machines and people that come to race at Bonneville. As a newbie, I have a few questions.

1. What are the rules/regulations for photography and photographers at SpeedWeek?

2. Any special permits required?

3. Any unique photo ops available after each day's racing(i.e. interesting attendee vehicles)?

4. How early/late can you photograph on the salt?

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to make the most of my first visit would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks;

Jeff

Offline Speed Limit 1000

Re: SpeedWeek Photography - Newbie Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 12:35:59 PM »
On normal race days the salt opens at 6:00 and everyone has to be off the salt at sun down. If you are not commercial I think just a pit pass is required. Car teams sometimes go out and do photos but nothing organized. Without a crew pass or photographer credentials you would be more limited on where you could go. Good luck hope to see you on the salt. Come and find our Lakester car 1000 and join us for breakfast or lunch.

John   
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 03:33:04 PM »
Find the photo etiquette thread and read it.  If taking pics in inspection and in the pits, stay unobtrusive, most folks will invite you closer and talk if they are not thrashing.
Have fun, take lots of pics, and take a few notes,
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 03:37:32 PM »
If you are doing commercial photography, you need a pass, and maybe even a permit from the SCTA Media folks, listed in the Rule Book.  As for being a spectator, I can't think of a motorsport event that allows the spectator more access.  You have complete access to the pits if you're on foot.  You have access to the sides of the starting lines of all the various courses.  And back from the starting line, where the vehicles are lined up, you have complete access.  Plus if you talk nice, almost every competitor looks kindly on your shooting his entry.  Nothing to worry about, enjoy yourself.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records