Author Topic: Honda claims lawn mower top speed record!  (Read 2947 times)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Honda claims lawn mower top speed record!
« on: April 02, 2014, 06:21:17 PM »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Stan Back

Re: Honda claims lawn mower top speed record!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 07:32:52 PM »
I think they shudda put at least a strip of grass across the road -- kinda like the row of bricks at Indy.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 10:26:54 AM »
We were at the Shootout (2010) when Bobby Cleveland set the record at 97.332.  I remember that a requirement, they said, to get into the Guiness book was that the machine had to mow grass the same day as it ran the speed(s).  Once the machine had made two passes - they wrenched for a while, put the mower deck on and in operating condition, and were ready to mow.  But -- some of you may remember that there's not much grass at the salt, so - - a couple of pieces of turf (from the golf course, I think it was) were moved out onto the course so the mower could cut them then and there and under the eyes of the officials.

The article (Fox news -- what can I expect?) didn't make it clear if the machine really did cut grass or if it was just "capable" of cutting grass.

Nonetheless -- 116, or 97, for that matter -- sitting on a mower must make for a sphincter-clinching ride.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 11:47:18 AM »
Yes Honda, through the UK motorsport team which races the manufacturers Civic in our British touring car championship series - Team Dynamics - have pushed the vehicle design well beyond those of Bob Cleveland and Don Wales.

I had the pleasure of meeting and interviewing Bob when he attended the succesful Pendine Sands UK attempt made by Don Wales (Grandson of Sir Malcolm Campbell) and both these drivers used near standard design mowers, which cut the grass using the normal engine drive system.  Bob was ready to return to the salt (as SSS describes) to regain the record with his rolls of grass.

The Guinness Book have now permitted the design 'floodgates' to open by allowing a replacement engine not found on a mower, the cutting deck to be made of lightweight construction materials and the use of a secondary (electric) drive motor to the blades.

If Suzuki have a mower what would happen when a turbo Hayabusa engine is used? Who is ready for the first 150 mph or even 200 mph ride on grass mower?  
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 11:49:24 AM by Malcolm UK »
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 11:51:50 AM »
I bet we could get Pork Pie to drive it :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 03:04:42 PM »
The next American effort will probably be something like a JohnDeer with an LS engine. When is a mower not a mower! :?
  Sid.

Online jacksoni

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 03:51:16 PM »
Hey, and since this had an engine swap it runs /GC (or something) instead of Production. Lets have some rules here! :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline desotoman

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 10:42:14 PM »
The next American effort will probably be something like a JohnDeer with an LS engine. When is a mower not a mower! :?
  Sid.

How about a X/F Vintage John Deere Lawn Tractor?    :evil:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b0lef9TyMc

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 04:10:09 AM »
Now that's a neat piece that can actually be put to use!  :-D :-D :-D

It's one of those things that actually gets a guy thinking strange thoughts.  :roll: :roll: :evil:

Pete

Offline tauruck

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 05:04:17 AM »
We were at the Shootout (2010) when Bobby Cleveland set the record at 97.332.  I remember that a requirement, they said, to get into the Guiness book was that the machine had to mow grass the same day as it ran the speed(s).  Once the machine had made two passes - they wrenched for a while, put the mower deck on and in operating condition, and were ready to mow.  But -- some of you may remember that there's not much grass at the salt, so - - a couple of pieces of turf (from the golf course, I think it was) were moved out onto the course so the mower could cut them then and there and under the eyes of the officials.

The article (Fox news -- what can I expect?) didn't make it clear if the machine really did cut grass or if it was just "capable" of cutting grass.

Nonetheless -- 116, or 97, for that matter -- sitting on a mower must make for a sphincter-clinching ride.

And all that coming from a bike rider. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D Jon, you rock. :cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 12:46:01 PM »
I just got this from Ron Main:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFo7ztlMlmg
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com