Author Topic: Engine Swap Rule Question  (Read 2769 times)

Offline CTX-SLPR

Engine Swap Rule Question
« on: March 31, 2014, 03:37:53 PM »
Howdy,

So I am still working on my Bonneville engine though it's very slowly due to life and school commitments and an upcoming move this summer.

A thought struck me today while looking for some information on how to use a race block based on some rules that Dynoroom gave me about it being fine as long as I didn't alter the bellhousing, deckheight, bank offset or number of headbolts.  Since Buick "Stage" racing blocks have 14 headbolts and the stock blocks only have 8, I couldn't use those extra 6 even if the aftermarket heads (production style ports and the like) supported them without it being an engine swap.  Well To cover more classes, maybe I want to run it as both production and a gas coupe which allows engine swaps.

Here's the question.  Can I put studs in the block to plug the holes (some of which are open to water) but not put any nuts on them and still be considered to be running in production since the studs aren't doing anything other than sealing the holes?  Then when if/when I wanted to run in gas coupe I run the nuts down on them.

Thanks,
Central TEXAS Sleeper
USAF Physicist

1964 Buick Riviera T-type (4.1L Turbo6, 4L80E, L67 EFI system)

ROA# 9790

Offline Buickguy3

Re: Engine Swap Rule Question
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 10:04:39 PM »
   I don't think if it isn't supplying any clamping force that it would be considered a "head bolt". It would be considered a deck plug. That's only an old Buick guy opinion. "Go Buick".
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 10:50:53 PM »
I'm thinking if it the same engine architecture it is not a swap.... so call or write a note to the committee chair.... I would call so you can talk, and try to understand the rules better. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline CTX-SLPR

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 10:58:08 AM »
I will do that at some point, I fully realize this forum is not a comittee determination but it does serve as an initial sanity check.

Dynoroom specifically told me (though I can't find where he did, I know it was inresponse to me asking if an Oddfire was legal when production was Evenfire) that using all 14 head bolts constitutes an engine swap because in production you only had 8 of them and you can't add them on a production block, there is no material in some of the spots on the production block. 

Thanks,
Central TEXAS Sleeper
USAF Physicist

1964 Buick Riviera T-type (4.1L Turbo6, 4L80E, L67 EFI system)

ROA# 9790

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 04:25:38 PM »
Though it might have changed for 2014, the rule reads "head mounting". I guess dynoroom interprets that to mean the head bolts.  It also says "all OEM parts shall fit the block without modification" I am sure this does not include various milling and grinding procedures for best fit of fasteners. In production, cylinder heads are limited to " same number of valves and port configuration". I think your question is a fine line distinction considering allowances for other after market blocks that are legal. However, if it is determined legal in Production, it is not for GC.  By the way, among other possible qualifiers (quick change or non stock supercharger) GC requires (not "allows") an engine swap. If you have one of the alternates, you can of course run a legal production engine in GC. I am sure you know this so no offense intended. You are going to need to get an official ruling from the proper authority on this one as the rest of the comments here, including this one, are just guesses.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019