Author Topic: LSX / Supra classification  (Read 22260 times)

Offline Gary Perkinson

Re: LSX / Supra classification
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 03:50:26 PM »
I could be wrong, but depending on the displacement of the LSX engine, you would probably run in one of the following Fuel Coupe classes: AA/FC, A/FC, B/FC, or C/FC. The engine swap knocks you out of Production and puts you into the Coupe class (which is a level within the Modified category), but you need more modifications (e.g., a step pan, a large engine setback, or covered headlights and grille) to move into Altered. The use of E85 knocks you out of gas and into fuel. So you're basically a Gas Coupe that's not using gasoline, which makes you a Fuel Coupe...

Gary

There isn't a /FC class, only /FCC (comp. coupe) which requires one of several major modifications to run.
/FALT or /FMS, depending on how the Supra is defined, would be the right classes for this car. For ECTA it
could also run /FRS if running a carb or /FSS if running EFI.

See...I *knew* I could be wrong...LOL...

But I'm curious--is there a particular reason that there isn't an /FC class? /GCC and /FCC cars have the same body modifications but just run different fuels, and the same thing goes for /GALT and /FALT cars, right?
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1 mile)     143.313
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1.5 mile)  148.321
LTA   F/PRO Record (1 mile)         114.668

Offline dw230

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 04:45:25 PM »
Several  years ago(20+) the Fuel Coupe class existed. The rules for /FC and /GAlt were exactly the same. The Fuel Coupe class name was changed to Fuel Altered where it stays to this day. "GAS" coupe remains as a separate class.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Gary Perkinson

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 09:22:46 PM »
Several  years ago(20+) the Fuel Coupe class existed. The rules for /FC and /GAlt were exactly the same. The Fuel Coupe class name was changed to Fuel Altered where it stays to this day. "GAS" coupe remains as a separate class.

DW

Ah, gotcha. Thanks!

Gary
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1 mile)     143.313
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1.5 mile)  148.321
LTA   F/PRO Record (1 mile)         114.668

Offline dw230

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 11:00:25 AM »
Rereading my post it should have said ..."rules for /FC and /FALT were exactly the same." ...

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 03:48:10 PM »
Rereading my post it should have said ..."rules for /FC and /FALT were exactly the same." ...

DW
considering that /GC and G/Alt are significantly different, I think we should go back to the /FC designation as simply a /GC  or /Pro running fuel. Ha, splitter rather than lumper.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

A new set of "cherry picking ready" records.  :-D
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline dw230

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2014, 11:24:45 AM »
Jack,

2014 is the correct year to propose a new class. You can add your idea to the list along with the guy who wants a NASCAR class.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2014, 01:38:51 PM »
^^ There already is a Circle Track "NASCAR" class for ECTA.

To the OP, in ECTA, you can run 'up' in classes meaning that you need to find the lowest class that you will qualify, then you can run in a more 'difficult' class.  e.g. if your car is D/FALT, you can run up in engine classes to C/ or B/FALT etc. or up in chassis classes such as D/FCC.

In reality, it doesn't matter what class you run in unless you expect to get a record. No official will tell you "you cannot run in that class" as you will not undergo record scrutiny until you surpass a record. You must, however, meet the safety rules for that class, including meeting all of the safety regs for the record speed in that class.

If in doubt and if you do not expect to set a record your first time out (very few do) then pick the class that, during speaking with Joe Timney or Keith Turk, they suggest to you, OR run Time Only. Once you run your car through tech inspection, have Joe or Keith walk you through everything that is right or wrong with your setup. It is a bit intimidating at first, but everything they say has a good reason and has your safety in mind.
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

LittleLiner

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2014, 07:43:55 PM »
. . . . . if your car is D/FALT, you can run up in engine classes to C/ or B/FALT etc. or up in chassis classes such as D/FCC.
. . .

One minor correction.  If I am correct you CANNOT run up in chassis class unless the car is changed to meet the rules of the new class.  It is pretty common to see ECTA Production Class cars cover part of the headlights or grill with tape (adding 'streamlining' forward of the cowl) to move from Production to Altered.   To move up to Comp Coupe you would have to chop the top or add a belly pan or extend the nose.   

Offline Plmkrze

• Oh Yea
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2014, 10:45:31 AM »

DW
considering that /GC and G/Alt are significantly different, I think we should go back to the /FC designation as simply a /GC  or /Pro running fuel. Ha, splitter rather than lumper.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

A new set of "cherry picking ready" records.  :-D

As a member is good standing of the East Coast Cherry Pickers Association (ECCPA) I am always on the lookout for low hanging fruit!  And then "I pays me money and jump classes to another low hanging fruit" (My best Pop Eye voice).  The ladies always take my fee and send me on my merry way! Low and behold guess what? Yup, someone looks and says "That Plm Krze record is soft, I CAN beat that".  They also get in line and give money to the ladies. Last meet I mentioned to a fellow competitor that I was in a certain class and slowly bumping the record up. Yup, he got in line and paid the ladies! Pushed the record well past what Plm Krze can run. Oh well, guess I need to look else where, Orrrrrr make the car faster!

Crazy huh? Seems it is all about giving money to the ladies.
Oops the cat is out of the bag. The conspiracy line is forming on the left.

Me, I see cherries in the Fuel Production classes. Crap now everyone knows my plan.

Seriously, to the OP.  Be safe, go fast, have fun.    When you get to Wilmington it will all work out.

P.S.
   To all to Cherry Pickers out there I am passing along that "The Great Waldo Pepper", shop cat extra-ordinary is in failing health. He has said that Cherry Picking should continue and that all new Cherry Picker association requests are approve. He wanted to thank the Northern European pickers for there support. I will keep you updated on his condition. 
"Trim it, whittle it, make it work."

East Coast Cherry Pickers Association (ECCPA) and proud of it!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2014, 11:54:35 AM »
Have you ever thought of just printing your own certificates?  Would save wear and tear and help save the planet from global warming.  (Yes, I know, the trees, etc.)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Plan B

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2014, 02:29:25 PM »
Naw ...... much more fun to get something back from those nice ladies.

Global warming is good.  Keeps those aliens from the really cold planets from showing too much interest.

Having fun before it's too late!

Regards,
Gross polluter and ECCPA associate member,
DS

Now back to the original, long-lost thread.

Offline yarp

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2014, 08:09:22 PM »
Now back to the original, long-lost thread.

Yep Unblown Fuel Altered is where I'll be if I pass tech.
Since my engine class is D I'll be running D/FALT for my rookie passes.
heh
I can't decide if that's lucky or just funny

Offline greenjunk

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2014, 05:57:59 PM »
you have a 4.8 in that thing?  Why e85?  if its registered wouldn't it be easier just to run in d/fss
David
213mph Time Bomb Camaro

Offline yarp

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2014, 01:22:56 PM »
you have a 4.8 in that thing?  Why e85?  if its registered wouldn't it be easier just to run in d/fss

I didn't do the conversion. It was originally setup to be twin turbo, but there's not quite room. Too be totally honest, its growing on me. Smells like a moonshine still when its loping away.

Offline greenjunk

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2014, 08:33:48 PM »
how do you know its a 4.8 and not a 5.3?  They're exactly the same on the outside?
David
213mph Time Bomb Camaro