Author Topic: Where do I belong?  (Read 7130 times)

Offline Speedjohnston

• New folks
Where do I belong?
« on: March 28, 2014, 10:40:00 PM »
If I were to have the car ready in time and there are still spots available, what class would the car belong in? It is a 1972 camaro with a 581ci supercharged motor with a carb, not EFI. It is plated (for the street), wheel flares,  modded hood and front end, auto trans, ford 9". It's not a purpose built land speed car. More of a high speed road race like a silver state classic type (don't hate me).

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: Where do I belong?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 08:01:03 AM »
     If you haven't found it yet, start here:  http://www.loringtiming.com/#!race/c3r5.  After reading that, click on 2013 rules and 2014 changes on the right side of that page.  That info should answer the majority of your questions. 

Hope to see you in July!

Ed

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 08:04:30 AM »
     Full link didn't paste for some reason.  At the top of the home page click on How to Race/Rules and that will get you there.

Ed

Offline 2K10 SS

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 12:13:47 PM »
  If there is no rollbar in your Camaro then you will be stuck in 135 class.  This means you can't run any faster than 135 mph.  No fun.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 12:38:16 PM by 2K10 SS »
NEED FOR SPEED (164.9mph as of Loring 2010)
                        (186.9mph as of Loring July 2011)

Offline Speedjohnston

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 05:44:12 PM »
 If there is no rollbar in your Camaro then you will be stuck in 135 class.  This means you can't run any faster than 135 mph.  No fun.

Rollbar I have...
The car is equipped with a lot of safety in mind with a full cage front to back. Fuel cell with a bladder, trans shields, 5 point harnesses, etc. Parachutes to be added as well.

Offline Speedjohnston

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 06:10:07 PM »
     If you haven't found it yet, start here:  http://www.loringtiming.com/#!race/c3r5.  After reading that, click on 2013 rules and 2014 changes on the right side of that page.  That info should answer the majority of your questions. 

Hope to see you in July!

Ed

Thanks for the link. I was wondering if it would fit in the circle track category (also for road race cars) because it was built as a road race type and has flares which are body mods but would the supercharger make it a 'no go'?

Offline Gary Perkinson

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 07:06:25 PM »

The car is equipped with a lot of safety in mind with a full cage front to back. Fuel cell with a bladder, trans shields, 5 point harnesses, etc. Parachutes to be added as well.

I assume the blower is non-stock--if so, and if that's the only non-production modification on the car, and you're running gas, you would probably either run in AA/BGC (blown gas coupe) or AA/CBGC (classic blown gas coupe). If you're running anything other than gasoline, change those to AA/BFC (blown fuel coupe) or AA/CBFC (classic blown fuel coupe).

Further modifications (belly pan, step pan, engine setback, covered lights and grille) would bump you into in the competition coupe or altered classes.

But yes, definitely get a rule book and read it thoroughly. Your biggest stumbling block could be the cage tubing diameter--it's gotta be SCTA/ECTA/LTA compliant, and a cage that's NHRA compliant, for example, may still not cut it in land speed racing.

Gary
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1 mile)     143.313
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1.5 mile)  148.321
LTA   F/PRO Record (1 mile)         114.668

Offline Speedjohnston

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 07:55:30 PM »
The cage was built for Nhra rules as well as silver state classic and I got a letter from the builder that it was designed to withstand a crash at over 200 mph. It is 1 5/8" that I saw in the rule book so hopefully I am covered but I will look into it more. I do however have a 10"ish engine set back so I would be bumped to one of the other classes you mentioned. Thanks for the input. Its all helpful.   :cheers:

Offline Speedjohnston

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 08:11:39 PM »
I keep running into the 'must not be altered in width' issue. The car is slightly widened with the flares on the fenders and comp coupe or altered don't allow width changes, so I keep ending back at the circle track category that seems to accept this. It doesn't say they do or don't accept super chargers though, but says all engine classes accepted. Would this include super chargers?

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 08:37:59 PM »
Some might argue that the "work" on the fenders is for wheel / tire clearance. The rule book allows for Radius-ed wheel openings, but I haven't seen you wheel openings. As the modification you are talking about only hurts your aero profile I would look into that.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Speedjohnston

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 08:46:12 PM »
Some might argue that the "work" on the fenders is for wheel / tire clearance. The rule book allows for Radius-ed wheel openings, but I haven't seen you wheel openings. As the modification you are talking about only hurts your aero profile I would look into that.

Good point. It certainly won't help me aerodynamically.

Offline Gary Perkinson

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 02:11:03 PM »
I keep running into the 'must not be altered in width' issue. The car is slightly widened with the flares on the fenders and comp coupe or altered don't allow width changes, so I keep ending back at the circle track category that seems to accept this. It doesn't say they do or don't accept super chargers though, but says all engine classes accepted. Would this include super chargers?

Non-stock superchargers and turbochargers are fine once you're not running the car in Production--the use of forced induction simply changes your class from unblown to blown (so, for example, if you were going to run a naturally aspirated car in gas altered, you would be in AA/GALT (gas altered), but if you put a blower or a turbo on there, you would move into AA/BGALT (blown gas altered). If you check the records, blown cars are generally faster than non-blown cars (not surprisingly), so the record in your class (if you were after a record) would generally be faster. (NOTE: For SCTA (Bonneville), how you build your car (safety-wise) is based on the record speed in your category, NOT on how fast you think you're going to run. At Bonneville, if you're going to run in the G-engine class and you know you're not going to go faster than, say, 150, but the record in your class is over 200 mph, you have to build the car to over-200 safety requirements. LTA and ECTA, on the other hand, base their safety requirements on the speed range in which your car is going to run.

I agree with you that Circle Track could be the right category for you; there are a number of ex-NASCAR vehicles that run in that category. (Oh, and to clarify something I wrote earlier, you couldn't run your '72 Camaro in Gas Coupe (which is for cars 1981 and newer), but you could run it in Classic Gas Coupe.)

I'm not sure about the flared fenders--for that and all other questions, you should contact Steve Van Blarcom at the LTA or Joe Timney at ECTA. (And remember that you can also run your car at ECTA events in Wilmington, Ohio, which is about 200 miles farther from Ottawa than Loring...)

Offline Gary Perkinson

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 02:14:14 PM »
The cage was built for Nhra rules as well as silver state classic and I got a letter from the builder that it was designed to withstand a crash at over 200 mph. It is 1 5/8" that I saw in the rule book so hopefully I am covered but I will look into it more. I do however have a 10"ish engine set back so I would be bumped to one of the other classes you mentioned. Thanks for the input. Its all helpful.   :cheers:

Oh, and your cage tubing width should be good for LTA or ECTA, but again, definitely check with the rule book, or with Steve Van Blarcom or Joe Timney, to double-check other issues such as cage gusseting and support plates.

Offline Speedjohnston

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 06:06:49 PM »
Thanks Gary. At least now when I ask some questions directly to LTA I will be headed in some kind of direction. And I wasn't told I don't belong! At least not yet. Lol
I will send an email to LTA with car details and specific cage specs and see if it would be accepted as AA/GCT. I don't see a blown category. Would this just be because no one has raced one at Loring?

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 08:49:42 PM »
 Here's some information about the roll cage.
   The tubing requirements for Land Speed racing is different than what the NHRA requires. Per the LSR rule book section for ROLL CAGE
Steel tubing 1 -5/8 OD X.120 wall thickness or E4130 chromoly tubing minimum .095 nominal wall thickness.
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"