Author Topic: Inferior Oil Seals Invade Country  (Read 9289 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Inferior Oil Seals Invade Country
« on: March 28, 2014, 10:12:19 PM »
This innocent looking seal is made to incorrect dimensions.  The other one in the package was goofy, too.  Fortunately for me, I checked the fit before I bolted everything together. 

This is an internet buy.  The makers initials are on the seal and I typed them into the internet.  Now I know the brand to avoid.  They are being sent back for a refund.

Now I use the "Contact" feature on the website before I order to ask the supplier what the country of origin is and who makes the part.  The order does not go out unless I am confident the product is from a reputable source.     

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Inferior Oil Seals Invade Country
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 10:19:57 PM »
Man, seriously - if I've learned nothing else, it's that you have to inspect E V E R Y T H I N G these days.

Sorry to hear you went through a headache - but good on you for catching it.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline jl222

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 01:35:39 AM »

Yeah.. every thing, Not automotive but looking at some tile trim [surface bullnose] that's a rounded edge on a flat piece of tile, instead of making tile in a mold they rounded the edge AND painted it with a solid color instead of firing it with the tile color. Never saw anything so fake looking in my 40 + years in the tile business.

After a few cuss words and tile setter saying that's how they do it now, and me saying not in my house he picked up his tools and left.

No big loss [ I have to say he does good work] but as slow as he is he should. He wouldn't make a pimple on Fast Freddy's ass. Fred and I were in tile for years.

JL222

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 10:10:10 PM »
Bo, add wheel bearings to that list.

The lady who gave me my break in the composites game in 88 drives a Toyota and she's been getting ripped off on repair and service
so she brought the car to me to replace front wheel bearings.

I gave her a list of makes to buy but she didn't listen. She was sold some Fong Kongchi bearings by an Indian fellow who uses the very same product in all his family's cars. :-D :-D
Short story. I was pressing the new bearing back into the hub and it fell apart.
Can someone please tell me how it takes the same process to make both good and bad and yet some can't do it right?.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 01:08:13 AM »
Last week I was in the big box store looking for something.  I forget what it was.  The sales clerk came over and asked if he could help.  I said I was looking for something and wanted it to be made in the US or some other sorta free or free country.  He brought me over to the display and said "Here you go.  Just what you are looking for.  We sell one of these to guys like you for every ten of the el-cheapo ones sold to everyone else."  It seems the market wants the lousy stuff and it rewards the clowns that make it.