Author Topic: Speed Week Accomodation?  (Read 9635 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Speed Week Accomodation?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2014, 09:47:18 PM »
....With luck we will catch up on the salt, I assume your truck will be in attendance?

Cheers,
Rob

Sure hope to see you and if you come through here be sure and stop we are about 50 feet off the highway.  I doubt the truck will be there.  There is an engine problem and the body needs a major redo after 150,000 miles with a couple thousand of those on the salt.  I've been working on the lakester and it is 'top of the list' for now.  Look for me with Hooley and the Stude,

Sum

Offline Rob

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2014, 10:02:36 PM »
Thanks fellas,

Sure sounds like southern Utah is a winner. I've driven up the length of Nevada to Wendover in '98 and it was essentially "more of the same" for the most part, not withstanding some of the characters I spoke to along the way.

I've just laid the cash down for the airfares so am back to vehicle and accommodation at this point in time.

Cheers,
Rob

Offline Rob

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 12:55:54 AM »
I forgot to recount my "wonderful" Montego Bay" experience.

I had tried to book on their website. It went through until the end then said I had to ring their 1-800 number. 1-800s don't work when you are overseas so with not much timed, Google spewed forth a different number.

In due course I rang that number and was efficiently switched through to the reservations dept. I told her what I wanted and the girl in reservations tells me I have to book online...  :|

I recount my story once more and she says "Let me get online and have a look"  :roll: I explained for a third time but she wasn't having a bar of it until she gets the same result... No dice. THEN she comes up with the idea that maybe you have to book for the whole week and that's why it said to ring? She's asking me??? I want to bang my head on a wall at this point, several times... hard!

So I then asked if she was able to help me or not to which she says "No one on a phone can help you..." I guess I should be happy the accent wasn't an issue.

Clearly, their core business is not in the hospitality industry!

Rob, somewhat confused down under...

Offline Phil Bennett

• 1978 Indy 500 Pace Car
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 05:10:35 PM »
Phil, who did/do you use for your rental in SLC? To date I haven't found anything under $300 in SLC when insurance is added to the daily rate.

We used Access RV last year and this time were using Utah RV.  We've picked these as I'm with the wife and lad so space is a premium so we go for a 31ft with power slides and awning.  If you're happy to go without the power extras you could still get a biggish rig from Cruise America for less than that.  There's plenty of places in SLC though.

Offline Rob

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 08:31:32 PM »
Cheers Phil!

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2014, 10:23:11 PM »
   Rob,
  Trust me on this, we aren't all that way. I will apologize for our "inhospitaliy industry". I will offer you a free tour of Montana and Yellowstone for you and your family if you have the time on your visit. I can't believe how we put our rude side forward.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Rob

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2014, 10:57:58 PM »
Thanks Doug,

I know, I have a lot of lifelong friends I made when importing and they are part of the reason we are on a reasonably tight schedule. I am trying to visit with as many as I can. Some are quite old, one in particular has alzheimers and I was pleased he recognised me when we visited in 2010.

Whilst I would love to take you up on your more than generous offer, this trip at least we simply don't have the time. Hence the abbreviated Speed Week visit.

I'd be happy to extend the same courtesy if you ever made it down under.

Cheers,
Rob