Author Topic: Speed Week Accomodation?  (Read 9632 times)

Offline Rob

Speed Week Accomodation?
« on: March 28, 2014, 12:41:01 AM »
Hey Guys (and Gals),

Nothing quite like almost the last minute and chasing accommodation for SW.  :|

Given I made the SCTA 50th I've convinced the handbrake we also need to come by for the 100 years of racing on the salt. Our intention is to turn up Friday late and leave Tuesday. I doubted I would find rooms at this late stage and to date have been proved correct.

My plan B was to hire a motorhome, not the Taj Mahal on wheels, just something two and a half adults could snore in, in some semblance of comfort. Herself insists on toilet and shower and if that's what it takes, then that's what it takes.

However, and yes finally to the point, thus far the best deal I can find is going to set us back north of $300per day plus end of hire costs and fuel.

Can anyone offer a sensible alternative? If it was just me I'd sleep on the ground, likely the same for the young bloke too but the true purpose of the trip is her 50th and that would go down like a lead balloon!

Looking forward to getting to reacquaint with some and meet others.

Cheers,
Rob

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Speed Week Accomodation?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 01:01:47 AM »
Hey Guys (and Gals),

Nothing quite like almost the last minute and chasing accommodation for SW.  :|

Given I made the SCTA 50th I've convinced the handbrake we also need to come by for the 100 years of racing on the salt. Our intention is to turn up Friday late and leave Tuesday. I doubted I would find rooms at this late stage and to date have been proved correct.

My plan B was to hire a motorhome, not the Taj Mahal on wheels, just something two and a half adults could snore in, in some semblance of comfort. Herself insists on toilet and shower and if that's what it takes, then that's what it takes.

However, and yes finally to the point, thus far the best deal I can find is going to set us back north of $300per day plus end of hire costs and fuel.

Can anyone offer a sensible alternative? If it was just me I'd sleep on the ground, likely the same for the young bloke too but the true purpose of the trip is her 50th and that would go down like a lead balloon!

Looking forward to getting to reacquaint with some and meet others.

Cheers,
Rob

Have you tried Red Garter and every single other motel on both sides of the state line?  You can normally find rooms about Sunday night just coming in.  One year we had them for Thru. only and then starting again on Sunday but once in the room on Thru. they let us keep it over the weekend.  Don't give up and people on here always give up rooms at the last moment if they can't attend.  Of course you probably aren't in a real flexible situation so maybe put the money down on the motorhome.  Not sure what happens driving that out on the salt if they find out.  Where are you planning on renting it?

Good luck,

Sum

Offline Rob

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 02:22:32 AM »
Thanks Sumner,

Yes and yes, thanks.

Motorhome hire was out of LA, I'd be led by others as to whether I actually drove it out there. I'm not concerned about erasing the salt trail from underneath and know we'll be able to get a lift either way onto the salt if needs be.

Happily the motorhome isn't threatened by a lack of supply so for the moment, I am holding out for a better deal.

Cheers,
Rob

Offline DallasV

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 10:01:18 AM »
Rob,
If you can figure out how to get into SLC the RV rental is cheaper and you won't spend near as much on fuel.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 10:53:45 AM »
Rob,
If you can figure out how to get into SLC the RV rental is cheaper and you won't spend near as much on fuel.

Great idea.  Rent a car in LA or Vegas, get the RV in SLC and take both to the salt using the car to go out and get around and then return the RV a few days later and continue with the car,

Sum

Offline Phil Bennett

• 1978 Indy 500 Pace Car
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 11:22:57 AM »
Thats what we did last year and are doing the same this year.  Drive to SLC, drop off car at the RV rental and then 4 days hire.  Well within the usual 100 miles a day free which the rv places have.  I got the rv cleaned on a daily basis leaving the salt and just kept the inside salt free so there were no questions when we dropped it off.

Offline Rob

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 04:45:28 AM »
Thanks guys,

If that's the only game in town we may have to go that way.

It's definitely not the preferred option given the extra 5? hours drive to and from Salt Lake, having already driven up from LA. I'm assuming motorhome rentals won't be hard to come by?? and will leave this as a last resort for the moment.

IF we can get a room it would let the young bloke and missus go back somewhere with AC and perhaps a pool giving me more leeway on the salt.

Phil, who did/do you use for your rental in SLC? To date I haven't found anything under $300 in SLC when insurance is added to the daily rate.

Cheers,
Rob
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 04:55:02 AM by Rob »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 07:39:37 AM »
...It's definitely not the preferred option given the extra 5? hours drive to and from Salt Lake, having already driven up from LA....

If you check, going LA to SLC first and then out to Wendover is 812 miles (all interstate, I-15 Vegas to SLC then I-80 to Wendover).  Going from LA to Wendover direct is 630 miles and is 2 lane roads from Vegas up through Nev..  So you are just adding 182 miles to get to the salt by going to  SLC first (3 hours more or less) and I'd say a prettier drive,

Going that way also and adding a day or so and going a little out of your way would also give you the chance to see Zion and Bryce Canyon National Parks or even the Grand Canyon, some of the prettiest places in the Southwest  :-),

Sumner

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 08:21:52 AM »
...It's definitely not the preferred option given the extra 5? hours drive to and from Salt Lake, having already driven up from LA....

If you check, going LA to SLC first and then out to Wendover is 812 miles (all interstate, I-15 Vegas to SLC then I-80 to Wendover).  Going from LA to Wendover direct is 630 miles and is 2 lane roads from Vegas up through Nev..  So you are just adding 182 miles to get to the salt by going to  SLC first (3 hours more or less) and I'd say a prettier drive,

Going that way also and adding a day or so and going a little out of your way would also give you the chance to see Zion and Bryce Canyon National Parks or even the Grand Canyon, some of the prettiest places in the Southwest  :-),

Sumner
Oh come on Sumner! They have got to be some of the prettiest places on the PLANET!! :-D :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 11:23:38 AM »
....Oh come on Sumner! They have got to be some of the prettiest places on the PLANET!! :-D :cheers:  

Didn't want to brag on Utah too much but since you brought it up here are a couple places that are about 12-15 miles (bird miles  :-) ) from the house...

To make it to Utah but not to southern Utah would sure be a shame,

Sum
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 12:00:48 PM by Sumner »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 01:20:55 PM »
Ah, yes.  Sum took Nancy and me to see the houses (homes?) shown by the yellow arrows.  Like the old ad for the Cunard Line (luxury steamship company of the old days):  Getting there is half the fun.  It was an adventure, to say the least, just riding into and out of the area in Sum's Jeep (especially when a tire went flat in the middle of nowhere).  Walking down the path that was only about "this" wide, scrunching down to fit under low ceilings, jumping over chasms -- and for some reason, Nancy chose to sit out some of the fun and took photos of us from a ways back there.

I've long said that Utah has some extraordinary scenery.  You should consider making the effort to see it while you're over here.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Rob

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 06:21:32 PM »
Thanks Sum,

Other things in the trip dictate we start in LA and head up through California to Wendover. From there it's south east, either through SLC and southern Utah or via Lost Wages to the Grand Canyon and Painted Desert to stay with friends in the Williamson Valley (Prescott) AZ then back to LA, likely via Oatman for the young bloke.

I'd seen the pics of the ruins on here before and it's certainly a pretty part of the country.

Cheers,
Rob

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 09:16:33 PM »
....Painted Desert...

If you were just going along the Interstate jumping off for the painted desert might make sense but I sure wouldn't drive very far to see it.  You will see much, much more other places.  After seeing all the scenery you will to get there I feel it will be a disappointment. 

From SLC down to AZ you could easily go by Bryce and onto Page, AZ and then over to the South Rim and then to Prescott.  A great drive or get there by coming this way and driving into Arches, Canyonlands and thru Monument Valley on the way to Prescott.  From Monument Valley you could still just head straight south of there and see the Painted Desert if that is a must do for you.  As was mentioned above there is nothing like Utah's canyon country, hate to see you miss it. 

Sum

Offline Rob

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 09:27:28 PM »
Thanks Sum,

Local knowledge is where it's at!

The painted desert isn't a "must". We've been to Sedona via Jerome and back down to Prescott. I've been to the Grand Canyon a couple of times and the wife once. With the young bloke now 10 he will hopefully be able to remember some of the places we visit.

With luck we will catch up on the salt, I assume your truck will be in attendance?

Cheers,
Rob

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 09:34:43 PM »
Rob, the Painted Desert is great -- but not a 100% must see in our book, either.  You'll see more of desert that's "painted" just driving around northern Arizona. We've been there a couple of times.  As for driving south to and through Monument Valley -- that one is important.  After being there you'll be able to say "I've been there" during about 35% of television commercials and magazine ads.  As for the Grand Canyon -- try going to the North Rim.  We've been to both, and the scenery just getting to the North Rim is fantastic - especially crossing over the Marble Canyon just southwest of Page.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com