Author Topic: Better put up that speed limit 1000 sign  (Read 10526 times)

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
Re: Better put up that speed limit 1000 sign
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 11:07:34 AM »
So, is someone trying to stop camping on the bend? I'm coming from the UK this year & intend sleeping in the van there, due to not having the money for an inflated hotel room. Also, me & my race partner are right party animals. In 2012 I payed through the nose to pitch my tent on stone chips & thorns at KOA.
Don't push me, I'm close to the edge.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 12:06:43 PM »
Well -- not really (are they prohibiting camping at the Bend in the Road), but they are enforcing some rules.  for instance, for the past few years they've patrolled carefully to restrict stuff like glass bottles and open fires, and they want you to camp down on the mud flats rather than on the gravel at the inside of the bend itself.  They'd be happy if you camped on the mud but far enough away from traffic that you won't be likely to stumble into a passing vehicle.

And they'd be happiest if you didn't camp there at all.  There is lots of space (LOTS OF IT) across the road and up the hill.  That part of the land is Utah state park (I think) and is farther from traffic, drier in case of rain, and - not the BLM's bailiwick.

So - yes, I'm pretty sure that camping inside the Bend is okay, but outside is way better.  There'll be a few portable toilets at the Bend -- and maybe we'll put a few up the road towards the hill/gravel pit.  Those'd serve the folks that go up, not down.

Okay - there's my memory of what's what.  Anyone with better or more correct information is welcome to mention how foggy is my recall. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 10:28:16 PM »
My group, five of us, camped there last year and it was great. Plenty of beer drinking, so desperate, you're more than welcome to join us! Some guys in another group right next to us even had a fire. The only grief they got from the BLM dirt cops was for riding mini bikes after dark with no lights on them. I really enjoyed it and plan to be back there this year, tent and all!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline dw230

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 11:15:14 AM »
You guys were on the inside of the bend?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2014, 10:12:27 AM »
Yes sir. The guys next to us that had a fire, BLM just told them to keep an eye on it and make sure it was out before everyone turned in for the night.

Now don't get me wrong, there wasn't an "Animal House" style raging party going on. There was our group having a few beers each evening, other people camped at the bend would come and go, talk about cars, racing, etc. BLM even stopped by one evening and chatted with us for a while. Allowed us to take some pictures that appeared to show my buddy being arrested. (Gotta send some sort of incriminating photos to his wife right?) They were really good sports about it. They stuck around for about thirty minutes or so, and then went on their way.

And for the record, every BLM officer I had the chance to talk to was very courteous and professional. They're just there to make sure you follow the rules. No matter how silly those rules may seem. In my experience, if you're polite and respectful, they will be too.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 10:16:48 AM by lsrjunkie »
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline tauruck

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2014, 10:22:38 AM »
And when they left??? :wink:

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2014, 08:08:57 PM »
You know me Mike. Always a well behaved, well adjusted individual...  :roll:  :-D  :roll:  :-D

Offline Tman

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2014, 09:51:53 AM »
Clarification........................."inside the bend" that folks are referring to is the area RIGHT AT THE CURVE AKA BEND where we have not camped. It is the gravel area right inside the curve that is empty. Either side of that on the south side of the road is kosher, until it rains :-D If I did not have pals at the KOA I would camp up the hill after two come to Jesus rainouts at the Bend.