Author Topic: Better put up that speed limit 1000 sign  (Read 10525 times)

Offline jacksoni

Better put up that speed limit 1000 sign
« on: March 21, 2014, 08:48:29 AM »
Or else only a few 50cc bikes will be happy:

(from the BLM special permit regulations) See #6

The permittee shall provide a copy of the stipulations to each spectator, participant, employee and
volunteer present for the permitted event.
1 No person shall discharge firearms, fireworks or other dangerous weapons.
2 No person shall camp or overnight. Bonneville SRMA is a day-use only area.
3 No person shall operate and/or land a fixed wing aircraft within the SRMA.
4 No person shall possess any glass containers outside of enclosed vehicles, camp trailers or
tents.
5 No person shall ignite a fire or any accelerant including, but not limited to potentially
hazardous materials, gasoline, oil, plastic, or magnesium.
6 No person shall operate a motor vehicle in excess of the posted speed limit within the
SRMA. Where there is no posted speed limit the speed limit is 45.

:wink: :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline dw230

Re: Better put up that speed limit 1000 sign
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 11:31:34 AM »

I wonder if it is OK to ignite a gasoline fire if it is contained in something, say a combustion chamber?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 11:40:01 AM »
I've grilled pork chops at Bonneville with my little Weber Grill, and drank a bottle of Sprecher Amber waiting for them to be done.

Is a hot lunch now a violation of Federal Law?  :-D
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 12:31:24 PM »
   Dan, maybe you need to change the sign too "WHITE GOOSE BAR-ber shop"................. :roll:
Bob Drury

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 12:44:11 PM »
Couple of others- If you see the mounties, chug that beer so no "partially consumed" containers, and all race vehicles now need a Utah License:

10 No person shall:
a.) Purchase, possess or consume any alcoholic beverages while under the age of 21.
b.) Under the age of 21 misrepresent their age for the purposes of purchasing alcoholic
beverages.
c.) Consume an alcoholic beverage while operating a motor vehicle, as a passenger in or on a
motor vehicle, whether the vehicle is moving, stopped, or parked within the SRMA.
d.) Keep, carry, possess, transport, or allow another to keep, carry, possess or transport in the
passenger compartment of a motor vehicle, when the vehicle is within the SRMA, any
container which contains an alcoholic beverage that the seal has been broken, or the
contents of the container has been partially consumed.
11 No person shall, allow another person to, violate the State of Utah’s Off Highway Vehicle
(OHV) statutes, to include, but not limited to:
a.) Operating an OHV without a current UT OHV registration, temporary UT OHV
registration or reciprocal state registration for out of state vehicles.
b.) Operate an OHV without wearing a safety helmet while under the age of 18.
c.) Operate an OHV under the age of 16, or without a valid driver’s license from the state
that person currently resides, without direct supervision of an adult (of 18 years of age or
older). Direct supervision includes being within 300 feet of the person operating the OHV
and being able to maintain visual and audio contact with the operator.

so Chris was ok with his beverage waiting for the Chops to be done, but if he was sitting in his car at the time, that is a violation.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 01:49:23 PM »
OHV this, OHV that. Which is why I run a Flathead in my Race Car. I are exempt. Wayno

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 01:53:29 PM »
 :cheers:
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 02:14:51 PM »
OHV this, OHV that. Which is why I run a Flathead in my Race Car. I are exempt. Wayno

Ahh, yes - Falls under the flintlock exemption.

As defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(16)

A. manufactured in or before 1898; or

B. any replica . . . described in subparagraph (A)

Grab a beer and fire up the grill, Muzzleloader!  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 11:52:02 PM »
This provided to us last year before heading up to Utah.

I kind of thought that whoever wrote this used to ride on the short school bus.

I really don't think that it is necessary to have point 8 when point 2 pretty much covers it.
Or, I just haven't completely grasped how to work around them yet.

Bonneville Salt Flats
Special Recreation Management Area (SRMA)
Special Recreation Permit Stipulations
The permittee shall provide a copy of the stipulations to each spectator, participant, employee and
volunteer present for the permitted event.
1 No person shall discharge firearms, fireworks or other dangerous weapons.
2 No person shall camp or overnight. Bonneville SRMA is a day-use only area.
3 No person shall operate and/or land a fixed wing aircraft within the SRMA.
4 No person shall possess any glass containers outside of enclosed vehicles, camp trailers or
tents.
5 No person shall ignite a fire or any accelerant including, but not limited to potentially
hazardous materials, gasoline, oil, plastic, or magnesium.
6 No person shall operate a motor vehicle in excess of the posted speed limit within the
SRMA. Where there is no posted speed limit the speed limit is 45.
7 No person shall operate a motor vehicle in excess of 15 M.P.H within 50 feet of people,
animals, or vehicles.
8 No person shall operate or use any noise producing device, or motorized equipment between
the hours of 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. in a manner that makes unreasonable noise that disturbs other
visitors.
9 No person shall bring an animal (unless it is a working animal) into the area unless the
animal is on a leash not longer than 6 feet and secured to a fixed object or under control of a
person, or is otherwise physically restricted at all times.
10 No person shall:
a.) Purchase, possess or consume any alcoholic beverages while under the age of 21.
b.) Under the age of 21 misrepresent their age for the purposes of purchasing alcoholic
beverages.
c.) Consume an alcoholic beverage while operating a motor vehicle, as a passenger in or on a
motor vehicle, whether the vehicle is moving, stopped, or parked within the SRMA.
d.) Keep, carry, possess, transport, or allow another to keep, carry, possess or transport in the
passenger compartment of a motor vehicle, when the vehicle is within the SRMA, any
container which contains an alcoholic beverage that the seal has been broken, or the
contents of the container has been partially consumed.
11 No person shall, allow another person to, violate the State of Utah’s Off Highway Vehicle
(OHV) statutes, to include, but not limited to:
a.) Operating an OHV without a current UT OHV registration, temporary UT OHV
registration or reciprocal state registration for out of state vehicles.
b.) Operate an OHV without wearing a safety helmet while under the age of 18.
c.) Operate an OHV under the age of 16, or without a valid driver’s license from the state
that person currently resides, without direct supervision of an adult (of 18 years of age or
older). Direct supervision includes being within 300 feet of the person operating the OHV
and being able to maintain visual and audio contact with the oper
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 01:23:35 AM »
John
Govment writers!
Rick

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 01:35:27 AM »
I think that the "Bend in the road" is a BLM area but outside of the SRMA used for racing.  A few years back some problems occurred at the camping area.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Tman

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 10:34:59 AM »

Ahh, yes - Falls under the flintlock exemption.

As defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(16)

A. manufactured in or before 1898; or

B. any replica . . . described in subparagraph (A)

Grab a beer and fire up the grill, Muzzleloader!  :cheers:
\

Cool! I will bring the 50 cal, flint all the way!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 12:56:38 PM »
I think that the "Bend in the road" is a BLM area but outside of the SRMA used for racing.  A few years back some problems occurred at the camping area.
That is correct, the SRMA is the area we race on & not the bend but it appears the BLM is applying these rules to the bend camping area. There was a map online showing all this but I can't find it any more.
  Sid. 

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 03:29:11 PM »
I do remember that last year when the issue of camping inside the bend in the road arose - that we were told that BLM would gladly have us camping up on the hills on the other side of the road - either side of the paved road that goes up the hill towards the ranch and such.  Lots of space - to get away from neighbors, if that's what you want - - and no way will you be in the mud if there's a rainstorm.  We considered putting a porta-potty or two up there but decided not to do so then - because we wanted to have some idea of how many folks would camp up there.  We might put something there this year, although being as spread out as is possible up there - the placement would end up being inconvenient for many campers.  But, then, inconvenience is relative - compared with the inconvenience of having to go to the truck stop to void properly.  Take what you can get, and a quarter mile walk is a heck of a lot easier than a two mile drive and then a waiting line.

Camping was allowed inside the bend, as I remember, but the BLM wanted especially to keep folks from camping too close to the road and for sure not on the gravel landing area directly adjacent to the pavement.  I think the BLM's land is inside the road and State of Utah is outside.  Something like that, anyway.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 05:43:12 PM »
The map locating the said SRMA is very interesting, it would be desirable if somebody can find & post a copy.
These rules the BLM is imposing on the SRMA are for that area & that did not include the bend according to their map. In fact a large portion of the bend actually comes under State.
http://mobilemaplets.com/showplace/10225
It would be interesting to say the least to see if their rules could actually be enforced outside the SRMA. It would also appear that their rules were designed to somewhat control the circus at the bend but like everything else they do, they couldn't run a successful one ticket raffel. :x
  Sid.