Author Topic: G-Force 101A Information...  (Read 8213 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
G-Force 101A Information...
« on: March 20, 2014, 06:39:21 PM »
I just added a page to my site that has info on...

.... the G-Force 101A transmission, also appliciable to the Tex 101 to some degree.  It starts with the info about the wide range of gear choices available and how to pick them with a spreadsheet (covered in another post on here).  Then it list suppliers of used gear sets and other information I learned over time about other aspects of the 101 transmission such as....

Refurbished Transmissions -- Also try G-Force North and South. Hooley's was a refurbished one from them and mine was one they were selling on E-bay which they do from time to time. If you see a 101 being sold by tt3rotor on e-bay he is one of the head guys at G-Force north and is how I bought the 101 for the lakester. He set it up with the gear sets I wanted and it was shipped right from G-Force north.

Both of our transmissions looked new when we got them and since they will install the gear sets of your choice that can save a lot of money vs. buying a used transmission and then having to buy individual gear sets and also wondering about the condition of the other parts. You will find that a lot of the used ones don't have the gear sets we want to run the salt. They are setup for road racing or drag racing.

If you get a transmission like we did the shifter will.....

Here is a link to the page and you might want to bookmark it in case you ever consider one of these fine transmissions...

http://1fatgmc.com/car/car-other-1/G-Force%20101%20Info-1.html

Sumner
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 08:45:53 PM by Sumner »

Offline mike f

Re: G-Force 101A Information...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 07:57:39 PM »
Hi Mike from MFperformance.  you made a good choice in the G Force trans.  The only thing I have to say is buyer beware.  T101 and 1o1A parts for the most part do not interchange.  The same goes for Jerico transmissions.  I have worked with G-Force for years and they are good people.  I service most makes of trans. and can help people out on the salt if they have problems or concerns. 

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 09:06:07 PM »
Hi Mike from MFperformance.  you made a good choice in the G Force trans.  The only thing I have to say is buyer beware.  T101 and 1o1A parts for the most part do not interchange.  The same goes for Jerico transmissions.  I have worked with G-Force for years and they are good people.  I service most makes of trans. and can help people out on the salt if they have problems or concerns. 

Thanks and I was hoping that I had made it clear that what you said about parts from the 101 and 101A not interchanging in all cases but will go back and emphasize that more.  I think a lot of it has to do with the full cuff between the main shaft and counter shaft that takes up space on both shafts.  To make up for the space needed they have different shifter forks and sliders in the 101A vs. the 101.  Correct me if I'm wrong on that.  I think the gear sets themselves interchange.  Is that right or wrong?

I'd for sure recommend buying the new 101A over the older 101.  Hope we can run into each other on the salt,

Sum

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 10:11:56 PM »
I've used the 101A G-Force trans for the last three Speed Weeks, it's a great little tranny. I really like the clutchless part of it. The push truck pushes me up to speed I rev engine rpm's to 4,000 and just slip it into 1st, then just shift clutchless from there.
Richard 2
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline mike f

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 06:29:54 PM »
Hi guys;  don't want to throw a wrench into this but some gear set will interact and some won't. Just like the Jerico. some WC4 gears will work in Rev. 4 boxes and some Y2K will also work.  Again work with people who can give you a straight answer.  Also beware of buying on E-Bay I have caught people trying to past of CR , Mid Valley,and Rankin gears as T101a sets, and last of all have you thought of going to a 5 speed trans. both Jerico and G-Force build good ones.  I know for a fact you can both single and double overdrive the Jerico.  Just fuel for thought  Mike form MF.

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 08:37:15 PM »
It takes a lot of HP to to run an overdrive.
Richard 2
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 09:56:52 PM »
Hi guys;  don't want to throw a wrench into this but some gear set will interact and some won't. Just like the Jerico. some WC4 gears will work in Rev. 4 boxes and some Y2K will also work.  Again work with people who can give you a straight answer.  Also beware of buying on E-Bay I have caught people trying to past of CR , Mid Valley,and Rankin gears as T101a sets, and last of all have you thought of going to a 5 speed trans. both Jerico and G-Force build good ones.  I know for a fact you can both single and double overdrive the Jerico.  Just fuel for thought  Mike form MF.

So far the sources I posted for gears have had the right ones for us but as you said there is all kinds of stuff out there so you do need to be careful.  Daniel and Rick provided a wealth of information to me on the 101A and the earlier versions along with the guys at G-Force.  You need to know what you are looking for and make sure the seller is providing that.  Hopefully some of the info I have on that page will help with that.  Both Hooley's and my trans. are the 101A and that is for sure what I would recommend someone getting.

I'd love to have their 5 speed, but just too much money for me.  I'd rather put the extra over the 101A into the Winters Extremeliner  :-)

It takes a lot of HP to to run an overdrive.
Richard 2

Running the 3rd as an overdrive 4th does take more HP since you are now running through 2 more gear sets vs. running the 1:1 3rd but rear gearing dictates it in some cases unless you can run something like the Winters.  Still if you run the quick change you have added one more set of gears so the difference between that and the 101A in overdrive is now 1 set of gears.  Still the Winters with the 101A would be real nice.

Sum

Offline mike f

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 03:41:38 PM »
Hi guys:  more fuel for thought, for low HP engines say under 700 think about a Roltek 4sp trans. It has many different ratios, dog ring shifting and will interchange with T10,G-force,and Jerico.   It is also easy to work on.  Mike from MF