Author Topic: Century of Speed book  (Read 9746 times)

Offline GD

Re: Century of Speed book
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 07:33:41 PM »
Gord,

What speed did you run in 2010?

DW
149.864 was my best in 2010 Dan.
Gord
Gord Driedger
53 Studebaker
Record holder Speedweek 2016 XF/FCC 162.698
Record holder Speedweek 2016 XF/GCC 158.978

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2014, 06:12:30 PM »
Well -- Mr. Das Bullett is the high bidder for the Century of Speed book -- so he gets it.  Thank you very much for your kind offer.  You're welcome to use the Paypal button to pay/donate to the site, or go ahead and send a check to the website at 509 Dukes Road, Skandia Michigan 49885.  Please don't forget to include a mailing address so I've got somewhere to send the book.

It's still in the original wrapper, by the way - no bent pages or coffee stains on the covers.  Pristine condition, so to speak.  And so are my thanks for your support for the website.  We all thank you, for that matter, 'cause your help is instrumental inkeeping the site up and running for a good while longer.

And finally -- I've still got at least one of the books remaining.  I'll offer it as a premium some day in the near future, okay?  Thanks again.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2014, 06:41:06 PM »
I am posting in this thread because I could not find another more appropriate.

Ron Main and I were discussing the CoS book and were curious as to how many errors there might be. Has anyone discovered errors?

Thanks in advance,
DW

Gosh, Dan - I wasn't even going to mention it - and in the end, it's really no big deal - BUT -

My car is pictured on page 284.  I'm pleased as punch to see it - especially directly above the BMR coupe - a car I've admired for years.

Despite the large octagon on the side, it's listed as an Austin Healey Sprite.

Yeah, I know - Sprite - Midget - same thing.  Collectively, they're known as "Spridgets" - but part of my mission has been trying to put an MG back into the record books.  In fact, the team mission statement reads, in part . . .

1. To reinstate an MG racing car and its driver into the Southern California Timing Association – Bonneville Nationals Inc. record book in the I/GT class.

Other than that - if that's even an error - I was impressed enough with it to have had a copy sent to my dad for his birthday.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Bob Ellis

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 08:06:42 AM »
Hi Dan , Just had a look through the book ( I was lucky to be given one by your new president , while he was out here) , GREAT book..

I found one tiny error,,,page 251, Garths XF/BMFR. Andrew Rea was always the driver , he has the 50th nationals trophy on his TV back in NZ.No biggy , as it was Garths car.

Hope to see ya in Warnerville in August.

Bob Ellis
DLRA Chief Car Inspector
Wanna go fast??  Come to Lake Gairdner! (It's Down Under!!)

Offline dw230

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2014, 12:33:39 PM »
Thanks for the input, keep it comin'.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

velocity

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2014, 11:55:21 PM »
about those errors. . .
I got to page 116 and had found 49 historical errors. Sadly, most could have been avoided with some honest fact-checking, or proof-reading. These 49 did not include errors that involved speeds/cars/engines -- i didn't check -- as I am not inclined to do the authors' work for him. There are wonderful photos and interesting, heartfelt commentary by many, but I caution anyone to be aware the text does not stand up to historical  scrutiny. Moreover, the ads make the whole thing awkward, but if you think of it as simply a big boy scrapbook that helps fill Save The Salt coffers -- it's easy to enjoy -- just don't take it too seriously.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 12:24:33 AM »
 :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 11:37:03 AM »
What's the expression . . . the pot calling the kettle black?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2014, 06:38:41 PM »
LOL  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!