Author Topic: Breaking Wind  (Read 192460 times)

Offline jl222

Re: Breaking Wind
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2015, 02:35:32 PM »
First choice was an X link like this but there is no room for that. You can see all the rod ends are side loaded like mine. That is a picture of a very high hp drag car.

Then I considered a diagonal but it won't fit as the pinion is so low and this differential is huge in general. No room for a watts link and I don't care for a panhard bar.

So I ended up with this. This wishbone allows the suspension travel I need, and will easily unbolt to allow enough droop to remove the wheels so that we don't have to have fender arches that are cut away to allow tire removal. This setup is very similar to many very high HP drag cars that are much more violent in their behavior.

Yes I have seen the strength of these joints survive heavy contact with walls that don't move and other cars. That, along with the strength rating of these joints gives me confidence in this setup. Again I am happy with it.

The pic above is from the bottom isn't it? The rod ends are mounted as your 4 link bar rod ends are and his. Not as yours are.
  My concern was having enough suspension travel without binding and having the wheel rate go to infinity and spin the tires, but it sounds like it's OK.

JL222
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 02:42:54 PM by jl222 »

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2015, 02:41:19 PM »
First choice was an X link like this but there is no room for that. You can see all the rod ends are side loaded like mine. That is a picture of a very high hp drag car.

Then I considered a diagonal but it won't fit as the pinion is so low and this differential is huge in general. No room for a watts link and I don't care for a panhard bar.

So I ended up with this. This wishbone allows the suspension travel I need, and will easily unbolt to allow enough droop to remove the wheels so that we don't have to have fender arches that are cut away to allow tire removal. This setup is very similar to many very high HP drag cars that are much more violent in their behavior.

Yes I have seen the strength of these joints survive heavy contact with walls that don't move and other cars. That, along with the strength rating of these joints gives me confidence in this setup. Again I am happy with it.

The pic above is from the bottom isn't it? The rod ends are mounted as your 4 link bar rod ends are. Not as yours are.
  My concern was having enough suspension travel without binding and having the wheel rate go to infinity and spin the tires, but it sounds like it's OK.

JL222

Yeah I used that pic to show how the rod ends in that X link setup are side loaded. Didn't mean what you thought I meant I think.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2015, 03:14:30 PM »
Rex,
The purpose of my earlier, almost off-hand calculation was to disabuse the notion that the 10%/4000 lb load could possibly apply to the shank capacity.  It seems to have done that.  I knew the diameter was slightly small so as to include something of a stress concentration factor, however an actual factor would likely be even more severe.  Even with your unfounded speculation as to the yield strength, the result confirms that the 4000 doesn’t apply.

I suspect Aurora builds their stuff to perform adequately for their envisioned application.  Given the 40,000 lb rating, it appears the material is probably in the 105,000-110,000 psi yield range, a fairly common mid-level fastener material.  But there are many ways to get there that may or may not include some hidden pit-falls.  Perhaps when you confirm the actual shank chemistry, heat treat, tensile properties, hardness, Charpy values, geometrical concentration factors, residual stress, and hydrogen embrittlement/stress corrosion cracking propensity of the steel in a marine environment, a more accurate assessment could be made.

IO you are definitely "buzz word dangerous"!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2015, 11:16:35 PM »
Made some progress with the steering.

615-210-1605

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2015, 11:18:30 PM »
Finally got the rear coilovers. They seem like nice pieces.

615-210-1605

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2015, 05:51:06 PM »
Boy, they sure look nice. Adjustable for compression and rebound... looks pretty trick to me. I dig that column setup as well. The car is looking good. Keep it up!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #111 on: January 22, 2015, 06:39:34 PM »
Thanks. 
615-210-1605

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2015, 10:12:53 AM »
Latest progress on rear coilover upper mounts. We wanted to make it quick and easy to adjust and have a wide range of ride height options for racing and loading on the trailer. As it sits, with the car jacked up, the wheels just barely have enough room to come off for service when the suspension droops. I can adjust the upper mount to sit the car on the ground if we really wanted to or 3" above ride height for a total of 6" of clearance for easier trailer loading.

615-210-1605

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #113 on: March 20, 2015, 10:06:08 AM »
So we reroofed the car yesterday. No more T tops.

615-210-1605

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2015, 02:15:00 PM »
Sweet looking steering column mount  :cheers:

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #115 on: March 21, 2015, 12:54:07 AM »
That is such a nice car, your fab and design are right on!!!! Can't wait to see it at the salt!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Freud

« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2015, 12:59:24 PM »
Excellent presentation.  Your fotos show the parts very well.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #117 on: March 23, 2015, 09:15:01 AM »
Thanks everyone. The owner, Revolutionary, was here Thursday and friday along with several other folks who helped out. We got alot done. Friday we mocked up a front wheel and and upright. We will be ordering custom uprights and building the control arms. Also using the exact same coilover as the rear just with a higher rate.
615-210-1605

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #118 on: March 23, 2015, 09:23:15 AM »

As you can see here, the uprights we were hoping to use won't work. We will be ordering some custom soon. They will be similar to what we have but the spindle will sit 2" higher on them and the upright itself will be 1" shorter and have 13* of KPI rather then 10. This gets our scrub to near zero. We will still use the nascar hubs and the arms will be similar to your average stock car setup just much beefier. The sway bar and arms we got at a Nascar auction look like they will work well.

615-210-1605

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #119 on: March 23, 2015, 11:22:18 AM »

615-210-1605