Author Topic: Breaking Wind  (Read 192505 times)

Offline javajoe79

Re: Breaking Wind
« Reply #360 on: August 08, 2019, 10:30:23 AM »
We'll see you sunday I guess.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #361 on: August 19, 2019, 11:33:04 PM »
Well we thrashed as much as we could and got the car there 4am on Tuesday. Spent most of the day finishing up little stuff and then went through tech with no major issues.
It appeared we had some problems right off the bat since the MAP wasn?t reading right and we lost a few test passes on the short course figuring that out. Once that was sorted we found an ignition miss that we just couldn?t fix in the few remaining test runs we made. The last run seemed to be a bit more cleaner but we suddenly lost the CO2 so it was just a first gear run. (127 in 1st 😆)
In the end, we never made a clean pass but it appears the track wouldn?t hold it anyway. The one time I actually spooled up some boost it was all kinds of loose.
We?ll be doing some smaller mods over the winter and testing early next year as we know the car and engine are solid.
Thanks to all my pit crew and supporters for getting us there!
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #362 on: July 29, 2022, 04:01:24 PM »
Well, it took a while to figure out what that old ignition miss was. We changed out the who ECO system to Holley Dominator and it followed us. Turns out the 60-2 wheel was too noisy, tried a 30-2 wheel, still noisy and then wen to a MSD mag trigger wheel and much better. had to open up the hall effect trigger gap from >040 to >100' and then totally cleared up. We found that out at the ECTA race this spring.  That is also where I figured out we were getting fuel starvation now that the engine was running good.

Had to build a small fuel cell up front to direct feed the belt drive pump and that solved that. Then my hood hit the small tank, so I had to mod the hood.... and so on and so on.

Anyhow, I just ha the engine turned by KSR racing in Gainesville. We ended up with a nice soft tune that "should" be safe. If all goes well, we can turn it up. The current AA/BGALT record I belive was recently bumped from 246 up to 286 so I have a LOT of work ahead of me. Hopefully we can get the car o run good for consistent 5 mile stretches and can turn from there.
Breaking Wind #9614

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #363 on: July 29, 2022, 04:46:59 PM »
Breaking Wind #9614

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #364 on: July 30, 2022, 04:39:24 PM »
I watched the dyno pull at KSR on YouTube. Looking great they gave you a tune that should last through the 5 mile. Very neat car!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #365 on: August 02, 2022, 08:17:03 AM »
Here is the tuning day video at KSR https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP5aXFBf2IM
Breaking Wind #9614

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #366 on: July 24, 2023, 02:10:48 PM »
Been trying to do some testing at the local drag strip and was rained out three times.  Florida in summer.... Finally made some passes Saturday between storms. Car hauls ass but have a stubborn problem I haven't been able to trace down. I think it is too low a voltage coming from the Autozone alternator.  It is only putting out 12.9-13.0 v under load.  Does great on a dyno or the first 4-6 seconds on drag strip then it is like someone shuts off power to the coils or injectors.  Changed everything on the car except the alternator and battery.  Switching to 16v system this week and test Friday night if the weather gods allow it.
Breaking Wind #9614

Offline JimL

« Reply #367 on: July 25, 2023, 01:03:48 AM »
I saw a project, years ago, that was losing the "electo-juice" quickly when injector duration went high.  It had low-ohm injectors in a system wired without a ballast resistor.  it was surely odd, and acted like you describe...running good for 5-10 seconds and then sinking like a rock.

Just one of those simple mistakes, while doing really nice quality work on all the wiring.

Back when I was involved with our turbo car, the outfit that did our computer told us to run a Honda Mini-Trail 6v battery in series before the ignition coil.  We weren't spending enough time at low rpm for the 18 volt power to damage the coils (dwell event time gets really short at higher revs).  They told us, this was how the Menard V6 Buicks were set up for Indy racing.  I was shown one of those Indy cars and, sure enough, there was that Mini-Trail battery in the right side pod!

Everything I ever ran at Bonneville has been battery only.  I don't trust alternators in that environment.  Plenty of battery is straight-forward easy to manage.  Alternators that get kinky in the salt.... :evil:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #368 on: July 25, 2023, 11:34:52 AM »
. . . and the judicious placement of a battery or two can even out the wanted balance of a land speed vehicle.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #369 on: August 11, 2023, 12:42:39 AM »
Well, it was an interesting Speedweek. Rain sun wind pools sun wind pools salt etc.  We beached at the Nugget Saturday night and enjoyed a Sunday of margaritas and chilling in the parking lot with everyone. Went through tech at the airport. Monday we hit the salt and found a relatively high spot to set up our pit. Most places still had a lot of water around. Killed a pair of shoes this week. Tuesday we got in line to race. Only one three mile course this year due to the rain. We made one pass Tuesday and it was loosely goosey. Ran 194 in mile three spinning everywhere. GPS showed 204 out the top. Similar results for runs Wednesday. I made three passes Wednesday and the last one got completely sideways at the two at 166mph then reeled it back in and did a 196. Thursday morning we made one pass. It felt way better and I did 172 in mile 2 and 200.154 in mile three. I had so much power pulled out of it and that was just all I could put down. It was making less than 1000hp and loafing along but still spinning bad. Oh well, still beats work.
Breaking Wind #9614

Offline sabat

« Reply #370 on: August 11, 2023, 08:54:19 AM »
Fantastic Firebird. Thanks for the condition report, hope the salt dries out for WOS. -Dean

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #371 on: August 11, 2023, 04:35:06 PM »
Reminds me of an earlier time years ago over on two.  As I remember(???), I was talking to a friend who had an E or F Street Roadster about his run.  He said the recordings showed that the back wheels were going 160 something while the front wheels posted 130 -- just before they spun.

With our roadster we figured it went 4 miles to the end of the course at the three.  Did a hell of a job on that slalom course.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #372 on: August 21, 2023, 05:31:24 PM »
Reminds me of an earlier time years ago over on two.  As I remember(???), I was talking to a friend who had an E or F Street Roadster about his run.  He said the recordings showed that the back wheels were going 160 something while the front wheels posted 130 -- just before they spun.

With our roadster we figured it went 4 miles to the end of the course at the three.  Did a hell of a job on that slalom course.

Looking at the datalog the wheel speed is around 230 when the gps says 204. The blue line is TPS. Lots of pedaling it just to keep it going straight!

Breaking Wind #9614

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #373 on: August 21, 2023, 05:37:28 PM »
One of not many this year to hit 200...
Breaking Wind #9614

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #374 on: August 21, 2023, 06:42:55 PM »
200 "Slip" well noted.

Big balls.