Author Topic: Seattle People, look in here!  (Read 4166 times)

Offline greenjunk

Seattle People, look in here!
« on: March 16, 2014, 04:26:42 PM »
My wife and I are looking into relocating to the PNW, and will probably end up in Seattle. We'll be renting a house or condo in the Belltown, Queen Anne, Lake Union Areas. I would like to know how and where you work on your project cars. I have a relatively slow POS 1971 camaro that I'll be restoring back to a street car, and can't find a lot of information on how cityslickers get it done. I'll also more than likely be building an FIA spec rally car once out there, So space for 2 cars would be a plus. What are my options. Thanks!
David
213mph Time Bomb Camaro

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Seattle People, look in here!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 04:29:04 PM »
Do you like rain, if so Seattle is a good place. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline greenjunk

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 05:01:57 PM »
Probably as much as you like having 12 wives, thats the sterotype for utah right?  :cheers:
David
213mph Time Bomb Camaro

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 05:20:17 PM »
not for everyone I only have one, spent two years ln Ft,Lewis Wa. lots of rain for a Calif. kid that's a sun lover  8-)BTW I lived in NC as well.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 05:25:00 PM »
GreenJunk - I work in downtown Seattle real close to the areas you are interested in. Those areas are pretty urban and most homes and condos do not have garage space.

I live in Tacoma about 40 miles away since Seattle housing is too expensive. You may be able to find a home to rent with a garage, but most likely it would be a single car garage. There are garage spaces for rent around that area for about $150/month and up. The problem is that most will not allow you to do work on cars. I don't know of any right now, but you should be able to find a shop to rent or share space. It may take knocking on doors.

Further North or South there are condo-garages that do allow you to do work. Those are around $300+/month.

Keep checking Craigslist.
Let me know if I can help
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline greenjunk

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 05:55:13 PM »
Thanks DON!

I understand my living/working on cars would not be together.  I'm willing to drive out of the city to a warehouse industrial area.  Was just wondering if anyone did that.  We know its expensive to live there, but its about 10% more expensive income wise If you take out the driving we do now living in suburban NC and commuting everyday, plus having 2 car payments, ins, fuel, maint. blah blah blah.  We'd be down to one car and hopefully only use it rarely.  Not counting my racing of course  :mrgreen:
David
213mph Time Bomb Camaro

Offline mitchell968

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 11:57:51 PM »
hi GJ , i worked and lived in that  neighborhood recently building boats and working on my stuff.  theres a few little hole in the wall places around nickerson st , ship canal , ballard and fishermans terminal. dons right .you will have to bang on doors. leclercq marine const. at 1080 ewing st use to rent to smaller spaces around 500 a month. south of seattle and down towards tukwila you can find some as well. not as secure towards that end of town.traffic sucks. you dont wanna have to travel far to get to your shop from the lake union area.  enjoy the ....... weather  8-)  mitchell

Offline RichFox

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 11:01:30 AM »
Probably as much as you like having 12 wives, thats the sterotype for utah right?  :cheers:
I was at Ft. Lewis in the early '60s and Glen is not making a stereotype. It rains a lot there. That's the weather in the Sea-Tac area.

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 11:42:55 AM »
When I used to drive truck up to there, a local asked me how I liked Seattle.
I told him it rained too  much for me.
He said it only rained twice last year.
I said "TWICE  ????"
Ya, 5 months the first time and 7 months the second time. :-D :-D :-D

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline mitchell968

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 12:30:30 PM »
we dont call it the emerald city for nothin. :-D       

Offline Fizal

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2014, 09:18:07 PM »
I was lucky enough to score a house with a garage in Seattle. Since you probably here by now you check out these guys.
http://wikispeed.org
Also lots of rally and autocross going on up here.
"No sir, I don't like it." - Mr. Horse