Author Topic: Bonneville (Current Conditions) Aerial View  (Read 14044 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Bonneville (Current Conditions) Aerial View
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 12:13:54 PM »
I don't know the rules, but there's a company right near here that uses a 'copter drone for photography.  The owner tells me that he's required to have it in visual sight at all times when flying it.  I don't know who requires, but -- when I asked him if he'd fly it over our entire property (1000' by 2640') he said it couldn't be done unless we cut down all of the trees or put him on a tower that's taller than the trees.

Since we wanted to get a visual view of our forest -- cutting down the trees seemed a bit extreme. :-o
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 12:36:20 PM »
Actually on reading that article, you DON'T gotta ask permission from the FAA. FAA has no rules preventing their use, and the NTSB upheld that there are no rules.
I think the drones are a valuable video tool and I hope the FAA ignores them as they should.
Don
In case you didn't notice, this was meant VERY tongue in cheek. The FAA has said (and maybe disallowed by NTSB as you state) that commercial use of drones is not allowed (couple exceptions) but are under pressure to make reasonable rules etc. And since FAA moves slower than the average glacier, will be a while.

I agree, valuable and interesting video and there were some around the starting line Bonneville in 2012 at least, likely last year as well.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline salt27

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 01:26:03 PM »
One evening I noticed a crowd outside a grocery store watching what was deemed to be a UFO.
It had multi-colored lights on it that would go off and on and was hovering and darting around.
On a hunch, I drove to a friends house a few blocks away and sure enough there he was controller in hand in the middle of the street.   :-D
Since then the police have asked him to stop flying his RC at night because of all of the calls they were receiving.

Don

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2014, 11:37:32 PM »
   Heck, I could just go to Billings and ask about the rules. The U.S. Company that builds them is located there. [The company is up for auction right now because they can't compete with the Chinese company that is in the market]. They build them for personal use as well as Military us. I think their link is : www.helipros.com 
    Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 11:41:53 PM »
  Oops, Should have been www.heliproz.com 
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline jl222

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2014, 02:39:17 AM »

Deer Trail Colorado residences waiting on vote for town to issue Drone hunting permits :-D

JL222

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2014, 09:51:38 AM »
Until the quality of civilian drones reaches a higher degree of reliability, I'd be concerned about having them over the track. 

Deer Trail Colorado residences waiting on vote for town to issue Drone hunting permits :-D

JL222

My mother-in-law used to say, "I don't really care how many points it has - I don't have a recipe for antlers, anyway." 

That said, she was crafty and resourceful, and I have no doubt she could have come up with a tasty stew of microprocessors and carbon fiber. 

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2014, 10:12:12 AM »
And we all need more carbon fiber in our diets.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2014, 10:22:53 AM »
brings a new meaning to the term "roughage"
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2014, 03:25:40 PM »
I have a friend that has been flying RC stuff for a long time, he told that 1 mile is about the limit for him. The radios will work for much longer ranges but to keep it under control you have to be able to see it. Maybe with a team effort you could hand off control down course or program it to fly a large loop. Just like racing it only takes time, effort and money :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2014, 07:20:11 AM »
The BBC used one regularly when they filmed us for "Speed Dreams" in 2012 but I bet they got permission from someone. The footage they got was amazing, & the reaction of everyone at the Driver's Meeting as it shot up behind them was a joy to behold. Anyone remember it? :-D
Don't push me, I'm close to the edge.

Offline dw230

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2014, 10:36:20 AM »
I think Jonny Hotnuts mentioned on Face Book that he mooned it.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline desperate

• www.britchopper.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2014, 11:01:58 AM »
I think Jonny Hotnuts mentioned on Face Book that he mooned it.

DW
:-o :-) :cheers:I'll look for it next time I watch it.
Don't push me, I'm close to the edge.