Author Topic: motorcycle frame mods  (Read 2803 times)

Offline lumpy

• New folks
motorcycle frame mods
« on: March 12, 2014, 05:00:13 AM »
I have 1975 honda goldwing I want to race ,it has been chopped in the past the frame has a tube welded in place of the air box location so a peanut tank can be used. and most of stock brackets have been cut off also it is a 1000cc ohc motor,what class would that be in ? just got the rule book last night.

Offline edinlr

Re: motorcycle frame mods
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 12:16:30 PM »
It will depend on if you want to run a fairing or not.  If you run unstreamlined you will run M-G and the record is 208 mph, if you run on fuel you will run M-F and the record there is 197 mph.  If you run with a fairing the MPS-G record is 204 mph and MPS-F (fuel) is 223 mph.  Not saying it can't be done, but you would be better off buying a BMW, Suzuki GSXR, or Kawasaki to compete in this class, it would be cheaper and much easier to be competitive.  Those bikes start off by being able to run 180 to 190 mph so they still need some work to get to 200.  The Gold Wing might have run 120 back in the day and getting another 80 mph out of it will be very ambitious and expensive.  We are all out here to have fun though, so don't let that discourage you.  If you want to race a Gold Wing, have at it.  You will find the people at Bonneville to be very friendly and supportive.  Use this forum for advice and guidance.  Good luck
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 09:39:24 AM »
M/G... around mid 180... not 208... A in the same range depending on other changes you have made.

The numbers on the scta site are wrong  :| 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:42:33 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline edinlr

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 05:10:36 PM »
Lumpy, sorry for the bad advice regarding the class records.  I guess the good news is that the records are 20 mph lower than I quoted from the website.  When you look around and see some of the incredible builds and how fast they go, you realize how many talented and imaginative people there are out there.  Good luck with your build.
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 11:45:22 PM »
Building and running for records is sorta like playing cards or rolling dice.  Of course, a person cannot win unless they are in the game.  As with any form of gambling, what other folks do is every bit as critical as a person's own efforts. The march of technology adds some complexity, too.  A fellow or lass needs to ask themselves, "is what I am going to do enough to satisfy me if I do not get any records?"  A "yes" answer means you are ready to go.