Author Topic: New lakester being built for a car show!  (Read 11337 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
New lakester being built for a car show!
« on: March 10, 2014, 02:28:55 PM »
Interesting new "F" class lakester being built for a car show. Hope he makes it to Bonneville.

Rex

http://www.hotrodhotline.com/ridler-award-contender-advanced-plating-lakester#.Uxy79ZtLCZM.email
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: New lakester being built for a car show!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 03:07:59 PM »
Stolen borrowed from the Detroit News:

One of the worst-written mainstream-media article I have ever read: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140309/AUTO01/303090040/0/auto01/Detroit-Autorama-attracts-avid-fans-hot-rods-customized-cars but the pics are interesting.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 03:08:59 PM »
WOW :-o What a nice car :cheers: I always liked the purple roadster with the nicest moon discs you will ever see. Everything they do is first class. I wish them good luck and looking forward to seeing the lakester on the salt.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline superleggera

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 03:26:50 PM »
They said Craig did the metalwork on it -- thus I'd expect this to be gorgeous inside.  Two additional pictures that a friend sent on Sunday to myself:

- me: Mark - home: Dry Heat, AZ USA - build: motorcycle streamliner

Offline Freud

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 03:34:37 PM »
It looks to like it has already been in the show.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 04:45:32 PM »
Are lakesters going supersonic? :-o
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 05:32:10 PM »
Are lakesters going supersonic? :-o

The pointed nose  :? :?,

Sum

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 05:53:48 PM »
I have been told that the car owner has 2 other Salt cars previously, and should be intimate with the rules and requirements.  It looks to me like this one eventually will not have problems with F/GL that was class indicated.  Record is currently at  223

There are some minor things to change to be completely ready and legal.  I hope he shows up at ECTA meets.  I did not see under the skin, other than the engine bay,  but it really wasn't a Great 8 or Riddler car.
BUT, it has the potential to be a REALLY good race car.  And it has my favorite Esslinger midget motor and liberty 5 spd.  I don't know the displacement, but even if it has the midget 161 in cu it will be very fast.

I'll be very pleased to see it run fast.  That is something none of the other "feature" cars will do.   

Overall this years Autorama was quite good and the Riddler award winner was a very good selection.

I agree Mike.  The article was very poorly written.  You would think in the Motor City, the local media would do better.
Rick

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 07:44:22 PM »
The article in HotRodHotLine said the motor was a full 182 cu.in. so that is right at the F limit. Also said that it was built by Esslinger and made 375 hp. Note that a "good" 161 cu.in. state of the art midget motor, Ford, Chev, or Mopar will make 380 hp and they have an 8500 rpm rev limiter. My sources tell me that one of these at 183 inches with a bigger cam, and no revlimiter will make an easy 400 hp+ and run all day, so it may be a bit short for power at 375.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 08:38:28 PM »
Their first attempt, a C/StR was gorgeous!

But it didn't make the goal as it had a few Rule Book issues.  I guess a year or so later they had it straightened out and were running over 200.  (Weren't we all.)  But a long way off the record by then.  You can run over 200 a bunch of times, but they're not cumulative. 
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 11:14:40 PM »
Rex
I've seen data that confirms your thoughts.
However, we don't know zackly how the motor was built.
My 3L with 17:1 and methanol also ought to be right there as well, but  only time will tell.  I will have to tip the can to meet my objectives, but that is a long way from now.

This car has some minor rule book issues as well, but it IS a nice car and worthy of watching.
Rick

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 11:39:45 PM »
... nicest moon discs you will ever see...
How are they retained?

The write-up said disc brakes, but I can't see them in any of the photos. Might they be covered by the inboard moon discs?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 11:45:03 PM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 06:01:19 AM »
... nicest moon discs you will ever see...
How are they retained?

Jack,

Looks like 3 Duzs buttons on the left front wheel in the bottom picture.  I had to look real close myself.

Ed

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 11:14:53 AM »
I guess I am not seeing any legality problems, it looks like very nice work, these guys do the nicest plating you will ever see on the salt.  They have enough salt time to know how to follow and build to the rules... they started in the toughest class.... STR... and learned.... I don't like the horizontals on the tail, but I guess we will see how that works out. 
I don't ever put a lot of stock in "advertised" HP numbers... let's wait for the results on the big white dyno, I see a probable hat in the future.   :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 11:15:20 AM »
I think it's got way too much "junk" in the air stream.......but what do I know, I drive a roadster....JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro