Author Topic: The other car #49 - 2  (Read 9332 times)

Offline jimmy six

The other car #49 - 2
« on: March 10, 2014, 11:18:46 AM »
The last post on the "other " car #49 was quite some time ago so to follow Slims instructions I start a new one. The new car is finished and ready for action. Caused from a rain out our first race in April 5th at Perris Speedway.As Patrick said yesterday as we to it out of the garage "who knew it would come to this". I agreed but it happens when you get the bug and want to do well......Follow Facebook "Car 49" in the photo area are all what we did start to finish....JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: The other car #49 - 2
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 02:13:56 PM »
Jim & Pat, looks great have a great season. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 01:46:37 AM »
Had the opportunity to run with a few other guys who rented the Perris Speedway Sunday March 23th. 4 hours for $500 split up...Need to re-weld a rear spring slider in a different position and a minor starter problem (I hope) but we had a successful day. A lot of power on the straights. I had set the tach lite to 6800 and Patrick had on about mid point on both straightaways...... First race April 5th
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 01:52:34 AM »
Checkout FaceBook "Car 49" for a lot of pics......JD

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 09:46:35 PM »
Great night for the Tone Motorsports Super Stock Camaro, 3rd in the heat and 4th in the main event. Patrick drove his best Heat Race ever and with a new car it really showed it's potential.

Running 2nd in the main he spun in turns 3-4 right in front of the pack; minor damage to his front while one car lost a tire. He came to the pits to have me check out his car, no rubs, all tires up and I sent him back out. Started at the back of the field and moved up to 4th by the checked flag. Fought a very loose car in the main because of the drying out of the track. Planning on Bakersfield May 3rd.......JD

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 02:19:51 AM »
Great news Jim!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

There's still a good part of my heart stays with short track stock cars. :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 11:36:59 AM »
You guys are getting good, JD!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline dw230

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 11:59:06 AM »
Good job Patrick and JD.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 06:48:07 PM »
Most of Super Stock teams came over to look at the car wanted to know if the old '77 Camaro was under it somewhere and asked about the body parts. The car inspector told us it was the best looking car on the track. Said he wish all the Supers would quit looking like Late Models and start looking like real cars again. Patrick has improved a lot as a driver in the last 2 years and if we figure out how to solve it getting looser as the night continues he can only get better. Bakersfied is a lot shorter track and that my help as his speed won't quite as high coming in the corners. I still wonder how "it all came to this".....Thanks all.................JD

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 06:58:43 PM »
JD you and Patrick are doing very well into his circle track career. Wish I was still down there to see you run. Keep up the good work, go fast and the win will come. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline jl222

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 09:38:33 PM »
Most of Super Stock teams came over to look at the car wanted to know if the old '77 Camaro was under it somewhere and asked about the body parts. The car inspector told us it was the best looking car on the track. Said he wish all the Supers would quit looking like Late Models and start looking like real cars again. Patrick has improved a lot as a driver in the last 2 years and if we figure out how to solve it getting looser as the night continues he can only get better. Bakersfied is a lot shorter track and that my help as his speed won't quite as high coming in the corners. I still wonder how "it all came to this".....Thanks all.................JD

Good driving and good looking car :cheers:

What have you learned from circle track loose conditions that can be applied to Bville?

JL222

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 10:48:47 PM »
Probably gonna run a spool?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 07:34:33 PM »
Jim, we all run spools. 222 technically nothing. 2 different sized tires on the rear of a LSR is of course a no-no. So is 3/8' toe out. and negative camber on one side and way positive on the other; plus 2 different casters and real quick power steering. You don't even need to hold on the steering wheel of my roadster and it's arrow straight.

One thing is learning scales and how to use them. Cross weight, side bite, etc is very important on dirt CT and I can now see how to make sure my roadster is right. I borrowed scales before and just used the info the best I could but now we have our own and I can make some adjustments and roll the car back on and see if I improved.

I did learn one thing last Saturday and i was confirmed by Joey Legano on Sirsus radio today. We had enough fuel for the main after track pack, hot laps and the heat race. I put in another 5 gallons and that was 35+ pounds we didn't need. A loose car will tighten up as you use fuel and I didn't think of that. That extra weight wasn't needed as your sliding into the turns. In May we will be at Oildale and it's shorter and I'll make sure we are lighter on the tail.....JD

Offline tauruck

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 06:44:22 PM »
Those cars must be the most difficult to set up in motor racing.

People think just turning left is easy.
There is way more to those cars and it must be a nightmare making them go.

I rate all you oval track guys big time. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline jl222

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 12:34:07 AM »
Jim, we all run spools. 222 technically nothing. 2 different sized tires on the rear of a LSR is of course a no-no. So is 3/8' toe out. and negative camber on one side and way positive on the other; plus 2 different casters and real quick power steering. You don't even need to hold on the steering wheel of my roadster and it's arrow straight.

One thing is learning scales and how to use them. Cross weight, side bite, etc is very important on dirt CT and I can now see how to make sure my roadster is right. I borrowed scales before and just used the info the best I could but now we have our own and I can make some adjustments and roll the car back on and see if I improved.

I did learn one thing last Saturday and i was confirmed by Joey Legano on Sirsus radio today. We had enough fuel for the main after track pack, hot laps and the heat race. I put in another 5 gallons and that was 35+ pounds we didn't need. A loose car will tighten up as you use fuel and I didn't think of that. That extra weight wasn't needed as your sliding into the turns. In May we will be at Oildale and it's shorter and I'll make sure we are lighter on the tail.....JD

I know almost everyone has slower turning for Bville and El Mirage but I sometimes think quicker might be better.
  Well, for us old folks anyhow. just seems I'm late correcting and spin :-P
  Maybe Troy can post the video of his saving a spin at El mirage. Looking at his hands there very busy back and forth.
  Looking at sprint cars their constantly over steering to get down the course.

JL222