Author Topic: Portland Swap Meet  (Read 9460 times)

Offline Buickguy3

Portland Swap Meet
« on: March 09, 2014, 11:37:39 AM »
    Any body else planning to attend the Portland Swap Meet? Never been there, but it's been a long Winter here in Montana and the snow should be melted off of the Interstate by April [I hope].
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Bob Drury

Re: Portland Swap Meet
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 04:49:02 PM »
  Doug, my booth is #1167 at the Race Track.  The Boys from Chico (Dave Davidson, etc.) are usually near, Treit and Company are usually up above in one of the main buildings.
  Stop by my booth or give me a call and come by my house and see everything that Stainless and John Boy didn't steele (get it?).
  (360) 696-1428 home 0r (360) 241-4768.
p.s.  I am trying to coerce Mike Wesche into coming over so all you "sheep men" can roam looking for parts.  Also I have a friend who may have some straight eight stuff and can hook you up if you want.
                                                                                         Bob Drury
Bob Drury

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 07:10:45 PM »
Wow, Bob -- you must be even more of a liberal guy than I realised -- if " I have a friend who may have some straight eight stuff "  I'd have thought you might not even talk to "that" kind of people. . . :evil:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline ratpatrol66

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 08:05:34 PM »
I went several years ago before it was at the track. It was big then and mega big now from what I hear. I just might make the trip?

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 08:21:04 PM »
Originally, it was all one swap meet.  Then the main swap meet dropped the track and a couple of years later it was restarted by Portland International Raceway (PIR), which is run by one of myriad local gov'ts.

PIR: http://portlandraceway.com/?/events/major_events

The Real Deal  :mrgreen: : http://portlandswapmeet.com/

Two swap meets, two admission fees, shared parking/shuttle buses.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 09:37:12 PM »
  And the plot thickens! So there are two swap meets. The one at the track is one day? the other is three days? I haven't looked at the locations yet but are they in the same area? I'm bringing a variety of people with different automotive interests. One is a Buick guy with straight 8 iron on his mind, and one is a Nash guy with old Nash junk in his head [27-28] and the other is looking for pure unobtainiam, old 4 cyl. Gardner/ IH parts. They were made by Lycoming. Hope we can reschedule everybody to take in both meets.
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 09:55:58 PM »
 Doug, the Race Track one is Thurs. thru Saturday, the Portland Swap meet is Friday thru Sunday (done so the cluster fu*k isn't a GIANT cluster fu*k).  They are about a half mile apart.
  The race track is 2 1/2 miles around with stalls on both sides of the track, all the way around, plus another 500 or so in the pit area.
  The one up above (where most of the restoration vendor's are) has three massive buildings and probably another 1,000 or so outdoor spaces... all full.
  In the thirty years or so that I have been going, the Sun has been out oh, lets see, three or four times at least.
  Dress accordingly.......................................
                                                                                            Bob
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:01:40 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 10:46:06 PM »
   Thanks, Bob, I'll bring my slicker. Sounded like the PIR one was only one day. We'll take in what we can.
                   [America]

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 02:07:46 AM »
 Doug, most shoppers hit the Race Track Thursday, and the main swap meet on Friday.  All the poor slobs who have real jobs show up Saturday, and the prices drop on Sunday (Saturday at the Race Track).
 One of the nice things about the Race Track is that they have a fleet of maintenance carts that will haul your parts and your tired ass to the parking lot or bus stops for five bucks.
 Call me ahead of time and I can tell you where to park, when to get there and anything else you need help with.          Bob
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 02:16:27 AM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Billy @ AHG

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 07:47:08 AM »
Doug, our friend Steve , has bought a new (er)  Dodge truck, so a road trip is in order we will plan on heading out early Thursday . should be able to make it in one day ! let me know what your plans are for rooms.  Richard
Salt Junkie

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 09:42:04 PM »
    Richard, E-mail sent. Leaving Thursday the 3rd. As advised, Dress warm. Bring your garage sale hat. :evil:

[America]

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 10:04:55 PM »
    Richard, E-mail sent. Leaving Thursday the 3rd. As advised, Dress warm. Bring your garage sale hat. :evil:

And a 55 gallon barrel trash bag or 2... they fold up easily into your back pocket.... and if it Portlands  :-D  on you... well you quickly have a rain poncho... rain quits.... toss it in the trash.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Billy @ AHG

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 08:23:45 PM »
That's a good idea , cheap poncho and easy to carry ! Now if I can find my 'Proper" British rain hat , I will be complete !  Any good working man style bars in the area ?  Walking (stumbling) distance .
Salt Junkie

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 10:33:11 PM »
Head north to the airport area for taverns.  There are some to the south but the ones near the airport are a bit safer for someone who does not know the area. 

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 11:00:45 PM »
   Just found out that my weapons permit isn't recognized in Oregon. We will need a citizen of the great state of Oregon to protect us if we find a good watering hole.
                   [America]