Author Topic: Eastwood TIG200 Welder  (Read 18559 times)

Offline Scottie J

• New To LSR But Not Going Fast
Eastwood TIG200 Welder
« on: March 09, 2014, 11:12:04 AM »
Has anyone used the Eastwood TIG200 welder?  I need to get a TIG for my shop and don't want to spend a whole lot of money, but I don't want to waste money on a piece of crap either.  I see JEGS sells them for about $750 but Eastwood actually has them on sale for $500 right now.  Any input, thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

http://www.eastwood.com/tig200dc-welder.html

Scottie J

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Eastwood TIG200 Welder
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 12:03:09 PM »
One of the main advantages of TIG welding is the ability to weld aluminum. That machine won't do it. That's why they blow so hard about welding stainless. To weld aluminum you need high frequency AC.

You may invest a little more money to buy one of the brand name machines but if you buy something from a proper welding supply store you'll have better technical support, more capability and more serviceability. The latter is important because so much of any machine these days is electronic and without the ability to access proper parts and service it could become a rather expensive boat anchor.

If you want to go into this subject further feel free to PM me. I'm a certified weldor and have sold several brands for a major welding supplier in Canada so that I'm familiar with the process. We generally use the same brands that you do down there.

Pete

Offline GH

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 06:12:56 PM »
This is off subject just a little. I recently purchased a Miller Sycnrowave 200, TIG,stick & HiFreq, has a pedal which I really like. I tell you what would be a nice addition to this machine would be a wireless pedal, just like a wireless mouse. I am sometimes ready to weld and I have forgot to bring the pedal over to the area where I am going to weld.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 12:18:00 AM »
If there was no wire holding it to the machine, I would lose it. You think I'm making it up?  :roll:  :cheers: Wayno

Offline GH

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 08:02:29 AM »
Wayno, that's good, I understand what you are saying.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 08:31:29 AM »
If I had a spare $4k I would buy a Miller, but I don't.

Everlastgenerators.com makes some low cost good quality tig welders. You can go to weldingtipsandtricks.com to see some review videos on everlast. I have learned a lot from welding tips and tricks website. there is something about seeing it!

Don't waste your money if you don't get a tig machine that will weld aluminum. I am an amateur welder at best but quickly mastered the basics of aluminum welding. I have an Everlast 256. Yes I would like to have a Miller but I could not justify the cost for what I need. Some of the cheaper machines are lift ark ro scratch ark meaning you have to touch the tungsten versus a high frequency start that will jump the voltage to the work. If you buy a tig try and get one with all of the adjustments like pulse, pulse time, pulse amps, frequency and etc. These adjustments can really help your welding in some situations.
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline GH

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 10:28:49 AM »
Mine cost $2300. My old machine was a Lincoln Idealarc 225 purchased in 1975, it was a scratch start and one amp setting which I used for many years. The new machine makes a good welder a better welder.

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 12:07:47 PM »
I'd say don't go cheap when buying any type of equipment, especially welding equipment. It will only disappoint you in the end.

If you don't get something that will do the job right, go out and hire the job done, it would actually be cheaper in the long run.

Syncrowave Millers are OK, not the best, but they will do the job, I'd say that would be the minimum quality machine to buy. Miller has their Dynasty machines, 250/350,
that are as good or better than any thing else on the market today, 9K+ for the 350s, but well worth the money. You can fine tune these machines for the materials and conditions as required. Quality machines are required for quality finished welds.

Bottom line, if you buy a cheap machine your wasting your time and money.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 03:06:12 PM »
  I have lost all faith in Eastwood.  I recently purchased their shrinker/stretcher combo and upon opening them they are identical to the Harbor Freight ones and even have the same "made in China" stamped on them.
  Oh yeah, They cost quite a bit more coming from Eastwood.
                                                                          Live and learn, Bob
Bob Drury

Offline tauruck

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 10:01:57 PM »
I love welding and I get good support from my mate Guido who supplies all my machines and consumables.

The only advice I have is to buy "expensive". Stay away from the Chinese stuff. :x

You live in a country where they manufacture the best machines. Buy those. :cheers:

A good machine makes you a better welder and you'll have support if you ever need it. Ten years down the line you'll be happy you bought a good machine.

Offline GH

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 09:48:18 PM »
I was reading Street Rodder magazine this morning at the local Wal-Mart, guess what was in an article about Miller welders, they offer a wireless pedal as an accessory. Boy, was I surprised.

Offline GH

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 03:08:32 PM »
I went by the welding supply store today and checked in on the wireless pedal,,,,,forget that, it costs $1000 plus tax, so I will be dragging the wired pedal around.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline mike f

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 08:04:13 PM »
Hi to all: this might help a lot of you.  If you have a technical school near by with a welding school, check with them to see how often they change units.  A lot get them at a  low/low cost from  Miller,Lincoln etc. and can then sell them at a low/low cost when the change them out.   Mike

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 09:27:29 AM »
My Mig and Tig machines are both Miller`s....Zero issues  with either and consumable  parts are easy to find.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.