Author Topic: Intake tract  (Read 5201 times)

Offline konon

• New folks
Intake tract
« on: March 08, 2014, 10:34:55 AM »
 Would adding a 45 degree elbow in a intake tract , to turn the carbs out , and allow longer intake length, be a restriction ? This is a BSA A65 (650) motorcycle.
Sherman racing  M/PG 750

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Intake tract
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 11:04:42 AM »
I would try to make it an ellipse if possible
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 11:15:58 AM »
In a word, YES.

The real point of fact is:  How much of a restriction?    The ONLY way to know for sure is to flow bench test the combo, both ways, back to back.   Manifolds ALWAYS add SOME restriction.    Manifolds with turns, add more.   A gentle/gradual turn will add less restriction than a tight/sharp turn.   How much might be tolerable would need to based on the "flow demand" that the engine requires for the bhp desired.    AND, more importantly, ANY turn messes with the "wet flow" of the fuel you are using.    Since fuel is heavier than air, it will turn "poorly".

Not trying to discourage you, just want you to put some thought into what you are going to do.   Take a look a some of the airflow numbers I've posted on Milwaukee Midget's Build Diary, pages 230-245 approx.

Also read:
A/   any book on Fluid Dynamics
2/   Engine Airflow by Harold Bettes
d/   How to Port & Flow Test Cylinder Heads by David Vizard

AND, Most Importantly:  Generate and believe your own data.   Don't listen blindly to some "expert" or "guru", regardless of how much "experience" they have.   Part of this journey is developing your own cerebrum.
 :cheers:
Fordboy
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 11:25:06 AM by fordboy628 »
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 11:54:46 AM »
The real point of fact is:  How much of a restriction?    The ONLY way to know for sure is to flow bench test the combo, both ways, back to back.

That is what you have to do!

I have flowed hundreds of carbs, manifolds and heads. Even when they have the same casting number and have never been touched and look exactly alike they MIGHT or MIGHT NOT flow different numbers.

Doug Odom in Big Ditch
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 02:46:32 PM »
The real point of fact is:  How much of a restriction?    The ONLY way to know for sure is to flow bench test the combo, both ways, back to back.

That is what you have to do!

I have flowed hundreds of carbs, manifolds and heads. Even when they have the same casting number and have never been touched and look exactly alike they MIGHT or MIGHT NOT flow different numbers.

Doug Odom in Big Ditch

Doug,

That is my experience as well.

What I know for certain is:   You can not tell anything from looking at the parts . . . . .    because,   It's Complicated . . . . . . . .

Check out some of the flow bench testing numbers for stock & "modified" Weber Carbs on MM's Build Diary.   Don't know the page #'s, sorry.   Just go to MM's Build Diary and do a search for "weber carb" and all the relevant postings will pop up.   (I love technology!!!   Welllll, when it works . . . . . .  :roll: )
 :cheers:
Fordboy
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 02:53:56 PM by fordboy628 »
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 02:57:16 PM »
A question that should be addressed before any plans are made: is the intake tract intended to be resonance tuned for length?
If not, the curved section should be not only an ellipse but have slightly greater cross-sectional area than the tube ID before & after it to compensate for the radius' flow reduction. Merely squashing a tube to get an ellipse retains only the circumference  but reduces the X-area.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 08:48:18 PM »
The distance between the bell mouth inlet and the inlet valve face is important to get the max HP out of those A-65's.  It is a pretty short distance.  The carbs pretty much bolt onto the back of the head with a phenolic spacer about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick between the head and the carb, is my experience.  No room for a manifold. 

Offline konon

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 11:20:24 PM »
I've had this bike since 1969 so I don't want to do modifications to frame. With the cam I'm running I need 14.inches from valve to bell mouth. I was told it didn't matter were the carb was, I could make stacks to get the length. So I'm using 1/2 inch spacer with manifold to keep carbs close to head for a strong vacuum signal and try different length stacks on the dyno. I was hoping for 2nd harmonic wave ,but I don't think I can get enough length for that. Does this sound like it might work better than the 45 degree elbow ? Not sure the carbs clear my legs anyway.

Sherman racing  M/PG 750

Offline John Burk

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 11:36:55 PM »
If the 2 options interchange easily try them at the drags and compare the speeds . Same for back to back acceleration runs between reference points on a road reading the speedometer .

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 12:13:32 AM »
IIRC Jennings goes into some detail about the difference in effect between length to the carb and length to the stack end.

Offline konon

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 11:20:13 AM »
Thanks for the help.
Sherman racing  M/PG 750

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 11:04:37 PM »
The third harmonic was what we were tuning the intake tract for in those days.  It is shorter and you might be able to get it without a lot of work.

Offline Hans Blom

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 07:55:07 PM »
What classs are you going to run? I like the A65s and have though about building one for the salt. One thing to think about is the fact that from the factory they are 654cc...which means you have to run in the 750 class unless you destroke or put in liners...and still can trun in production classes.

I could be wrong though, but thats my take.

Keep you intake straight. mod your frame.

Hans

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 11:37:48 PM »
There was a production A-75 BSA.  A batch of them were made and sold here so the BSA 750 flat tracker could race in the US.  Some of the tricks used to set up those engines might be useful for running in the 750 class.

Offline konon

• New folks
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 03:12:54 PM »
I was going to sleeve the cylinders and use 74.5 mm pistons. to get it under 650. M/PG 750 is 160 mph at Bonneville and 130 at Ohio. I'm still making a plan.
Sherman racing  M/PG 750