Author Topic: SOLID FRONT WHEELS/KING PIN/HUB COMBO  (Read 13060 times)

Offline rickyracer

• New folks
Re: SOLID FRONT WHEELS/KING PIN/HUB COMBO
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 01:34:38 PM »
Chris,

Power unit to be advised............I'd have to shoot you!
I appreciate what you are saying about traction but what about the motorcycle streamliners?

Nice MG Midget by the way. I remember looking over John Sprinzel's Monte Carlo Austin-Healey Sprite as a schoolboy and some cars stopped for lunch near my home town of the day in UK, en route to Monte.

A school friend also later bought an ex-Sprinzel Austin A35 that used to fill with oil fumes when he gunned it and later I was volunteer refueller at Le Mans for the Enever/Hedges Austin-Healey Repco. Stopped on Mulsanne Straight at 23hrs 45 mins with duff ignition............

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 04:28:53 PM »
I appreciate what you are saying about traction but what about the motorcycle streamliners?

Well, just because you're British doesn't necessarily mean you're crazy. 

:cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 06:31:05 PM »
Rick Yacoucci went 375 with Neb ll which weighed 1500# . Jack's body design must not have any lift .  

360+ run...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebriOhvVXOY

Sumner

P.S.  R-racer thanks for the added info.  It makes the thread more interesting.  Now about your inseam length..............

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2014, 07:38:50 PM »
"And speaking of limiting runs -- don't I remember hearing that some of the solid wheeled vehicles have been limited to, say, one run per day - to minimise course damage by limiting the number of times the car is allowed to use the course."

AT the Roadster show I visited at length with one of the above mentioned "nameless"  and he stated he would not do it again due to not being able to run lots of times  His car has wheels much like you are asking for and I have seen alternating "diviots" for nearly a mile, two different years----"BE CAREFUL what you wish for."
Under some track conditions most likely yours may leave similar marks; if so most likely you will be asked to put it on the trailer!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 09:46:55 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 08:29:36 PM »
Along this same vein. On marginal salt, the Stein (sp)- Herbert liner was heavy enough that it left measurable ruts with his MT's, rolling, no power, that were deeper than the marks (ruts) left by this nameless liner.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline rickyracer

• New folks
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2014, 12:03:21 PM »
Sparky - Regarding the alternating marks made by 'Nameless'. Was this when some solid wheels had edges that were quite 'square' cut, before the temporary ban?
How wide were the wheels? Diameter? How deep were the 'marks'? Approx. car weight? General salt condition at the time?

The details are important additional knowledge to focus my direction. Perhaps you could ask 'Nameless' to email me?

As Ron pointed out tyres can make very deep grooves particularly on the heavy cars and we have a few more coming out, with big power too.
This applies particularly to the driven tyres - main reason for the rooster tail.

That's why the courses get cut up all the time and are closed or moved to fresh salt. Regular part of the routine?

Offline racergeo

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2014, 02:51:29 PM »
  I don't believe BNI has approved any tyres for speeds over 150km. Where as MT and Goodyear have tires rated to over 750 kmph.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2014, 05:17:29 PM »
Along this same vein. On marginal salt, the Stein (sp)- Herbert liner was heavy enough that it left measurable ruts with his MT's, rolling, no power, that were deeper than the marks (ruts) left by this nameless liner.

Ron

The Hebert Steen liner had very largeFront alum. wheels at first and not only made ruts but had salt build up that caused bad vibrations. Don Vesco wouldn't drive it after that, the rubber tires did some rutting but the salt was crappy that year.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2014, 02:46:30 PM »
rickyracer, Welcome! I am by no means an expert on anything, but I thought I'd share with you what I did. It didn't cost a fortune. I used some Chevrolet spindles. 49-54 I believe. Willwood makes an aluminum hub for those spindles. I then had the spindle turned in a lathe to bring the hub closer to the knuckle. I was able to get all the parts fairly easy, and with the proper off set of wheel you could easily achieve zero scrub. OH! almost forgot, I'm using a new, hot rod style 4" drop tube axle. If you need any more specifics, message me and I'm sure I can scrounge up some part numbers.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2014, 11:08:31 PM »
Can someone describe course "damage"? Most any tire will leave a mark in a soft surface and a high pressure tire with no sidewall "squish", even more so. What if the aluminum wheel wasn't flat and had a crown on the outer parameter to match a tire, how would you even know which (aluminum or rubber) actually left a mark? I'm in this same boat being that short, high speed tires don't exist anymore.

Offline rickyracer

• New folks
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2014, 04:55:47 AM »
Kustombrad, and earlier Ron Gibson make valid comments about the damage that can be done to the salt by tyres.

Obviously a lot depends on the initial condition of the salt but particular vehicles have potential to do enormous damage and I think we all know who they are.
I don't want to tread on any toes here or spoil anyone's fun but bear in mind that a vehicle that makes a big rooster tail and wrecks it's tyres in maybe two runs must be doing something serious to the salt surface.

With more heavy, powerful and large vehicles that will have to push a lot of air due out soon the long course may get cut-up pretty quickly, especially if it starts out marginal like 2013.......

The smaller, lighter streamliners will need to get their runs in early and the alloy wheel boys are the least of the salt worries - they may even roll and smooth the salt!

Ricky Racer

Offline dw230

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2014, 10:07:01 AM »
Brad,

Contact Lee Kennedy and John Bjorkman of the Special Construction Committee for info re: damage and acceptable wheel/tire design. Contact info in section 16 of your rule book.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2014, 10:57:13 AM »
Hey DW, I'm still waiting patiently how to go to the next step. I sent off a design weeks ago (actually first design was months ago) and haven't heard a thing. I'd been sending pics of the car to John as I was building it to make sure I was on the right track as far as keeping it safe and to the rules, but it seems my wheel deal has just kind of disappeared.  I've had phone discussions with other racers who run them, but for some reason my deal has stalled. The design I put together has been looked at and fine tuned by a couple different engineers (who told me they would be just fine) but I'm still not sure what to do next. Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread!

Offline 7800ebs

• http://quickturnparts.com/index.html
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2014, 11:31:43 AM »
So here are some things to ponder for guys making wheels ..

If a tire has 100 psi in it .. and the wheel weight is 600 lbs .. logic says you would have 6 sq in of tire supporting the weight.. so that is why I went to a wider wheel than I wanted, to support the weight.

If would be wise to have your profile FEA tested.. It took 11 versions to get what we built. Tested to over 1000 mph.. We have very good safety factor at 500 ..  this helps with approval..

We still needed to make a pass and have Mr Kennedy look for ruts.. and we had none last year.. on soft salt.
I have no limit on runs..

bob

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2014, 12:10:49 AM »
Thanks Bob! I sent my drawing off to my guys to do the FEA testing and we'll go from there!