Author Topic: Belly Pan  (Read 18300 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Belly Pan
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2014, 01:57:56 PM »
For what it is worth, I'm a metal fabricator, and I don't believe a pop rivet should secure the belly pan. Aluminum rivets don't have the strenghth to hold a panel upside down with the vibration, bumps, etc. Steel rivets will rust. If you have to drill out rivets, the hole becomes oversized.

If by chance part of the belly pan became loose during a run and drops down on to the salt, the results will not be good.

I think Keith Turk & Dave Freiburger had that happen to the HRM Camaro a few years back. The detach pan scooped up salt on the return road.

Seriously... using "Pop" rivets is a subject unto itself. The usual hardware store pop rivet has either a steel or aluminum body with a steel or aluminum stem. Their strength is low and the quality control is nil. They were never designed for structural applications but, if applied properly, can be used for non-critical applications. BTW, "Pop" rivets was (is?) a trademark of the Marston Corp.

Really good blind rivets are made by Cherry, Huck, Allfast, and a few others; Cherrylock or Lockbolt types are rated for structural use and they retain the broken stem under vibration so their shear strength is high. These types are available in a bewildering variety of materials and sizes. The highest strength materials are ones made of the super alloy A286 or a cupro-nickel alloy, Monel. Attention must be paid to providing the proper hole size and using the correct grip range when using any type of rivet.

You are right in that a couple of pop rivets won't secure a belly pan;... or much of anything else-- but aerospace blind rivets are in an altogether different league.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2014, 07:54:48 PM »
Aircraft rivets can be a challenge to pull with a hand tool, but with the correct tool they are great. I sure miss access to the USAF bench stock :-D 
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2014, 08:55:19 PM »
I would thnik I would use DZUS. Both Vesco streamliners use them. Over the years I have picked up several belly pans that came loose or off and running over one at speed with your own vehicle is messy and fills the car full of salt, cuts tires and even a crash. Use plenty as you will need to remove for cleaning and maint. Don't go cheap. One year a mod sports had one made out of thin fiber glass used for roofing and it was held on with sheet metal screws that were all over the course long clean up.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2014, 08:58:57 PM »
SL1000;

This air/hydraulic gun is my favorite. There is also a manual version of it.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2014, 12:15:49 PM »
...I would think I would use DZUS. ..... Use plenty as you will need to remove for cleaning and maintenance...

Agreed.  I realize that on the 'other car' it was mentioned going several times without removing the pan, but I have a hard time thinking there isn't salt trapped between the pan and the frame/body at places.  It is one of those deals where as soon as it is all riveted on there something will come up where it would be great if it could come off.

I'd take the time to use the fasteners and be done with it.  Also when if comes to the fasteners I think the only way to go now is...

... with the ones that remove with the allen wrench.  Just so much easier to install and take off.  I love them and would never go back to the slotted ones,

Sum

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2014, 01:12:54 PM »
    and designed, manufactured and sold by our own Roy Fjastad of Full Bore Race Products.
  I had the pleasure of meeting Roy in 1997 at his shop and He showed me his machine in action.  He is a smart man and a great guy to boot!
Bob Drury

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2014, 01:39:37 PM »

and designed, manufactured and sold by our own Roy Fjastad of Full Bore Race Products.
  I had the pleasure of meeting Roy in 1997 at his shop and He showed me his machine in action.  He is a smart man and a great guy to boot!

I bought mine from him some years back but for some reason thought they weren't shipping about a year ago but looking now...

http://www.fullborerace.com/superbutton.html

....see that they are and have only discontinued the steel ones,

Sum