Author Topic: Belly Pan  (Read 18345 times)

Offline Huffy047

Belly Pan
« on: March 03, 2014, 07:27:47 AM »
I searched but could not find a definiation of "Drain Holes" in the engine area when useing a Belly Pan. Can anyone comment on this? How many and how big?

Tks!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Belly Pan
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 09:48:30 AM »
As many as it takes to not confine liquid anywhere in the belly pan.  So if it is contoured, or has several low spots, a small hole in those areas that will drain liquids... 1/2 inch...  I would have several. 
Consider if you threw a rod through the oil pan, how much oil do you want pooling up to catch fire on the headers?  When reading the rules it is often hard to understand what happened to someone to inspire the rule... unfortunately a lot of our rules are written in blood.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Crackerman

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 09:54:33 AM »
At that point an engine diaper to contain the blast, and soak up the oil to keep it off headers would be a necessity. I would think the two in conjunction would work together better han just a belly pan with drain holes...

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 11:33:15 AM »
Stainless;

Didn't that rule come about due to Bob Herda's streamliner fire?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 02:45:41 PM »
   Or possibly Lynn Goodfellow's Mormon Missile fire.
  Doug
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 02:54:49 PM »
The Mormon Missile fire was superheated/flaming coolant being blown back through the (vertical) bulkhead behind the engine/in front of Lynn.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline George Fields

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 03:26:28 PM »
I have an overlapping gap in the belly pans right at the rear motor plate/firewall which will allow all fluids to evacuate.  Aluminum shields from header flange down to belly pan helps keep oil from headers

Offline jww36

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 03:36:03 PM »
Not the cheapest way to go, but what is your race car worth, or your safety. With an engine fire at 200+ MPH, you're going to be on your own for at least a minute.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 08:09:32 PM »
The rule has been there a long time, don't know who had a problem that resulted in the rule, you want fluids to exit, not pool.
Make it so...  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 08:43:29 PM »
  On my C/FALT Studebaker, I am allowed to run a step pan from the rear motor plate back to the rear frame rail kick up.
  I thought I had is pretty well sealed up but when I split my 7 gallon oil tank (which sits in the right rear passenger seat) while on Dick Elverud's elevated (above ground) chassis dyno, it quickly became apparent where every pinhole was.
  The entire bottom of the car looked like Niagara Falls only with 50W race oil pouring six feet to the ground and on the rollers.
  Unfortunately, Dick didn't have a four foot by six foot drain pan handy, because that's what we needed.  What a f**king mess........................
  After a multi hour cleanup I towed the race car home, parked the trailer on a gravel spot in my back yard and let it drip for a week. Next I got the car in the shop and had another mess to clean up.  But no, it wasn't over yet, I still had the trailer to deal with.
  That's when I went from a moderate drinker to a top flight professional souse...........................
                                                                                     Ol' One Run (67 now and still dumber than a sack full of hammers).
Bob Drury

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 09:34:06 PM »
7 gallons?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 11:15:09 PM »
  yep.........
Bob Drury

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 12:10:23 AM »
What's Jiffy Lube charge ya for an oil change?  :mrgreen:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 02:12:32 AM »
  It's about $175. every two passes if I do it myself (dang methanol and Nitro). 
                                                :-P :-o :-P
Bob Drury

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 09:42:48 AM »
  It's about $175. every two passes if I do it myself (dang methanol and Nitro). 
                                                :-P :-o :-P

Ol' One Run:

Every other year?   :evil:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!