Author Topic: Ray the Rat  (Read 285545 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Re: Ray the Rat
« Reply #165 on: September 22, 2014, 12:37:32 PM »
  Today would have been Ray's 67th Birthday, and adds  another sad footnote to this years weathered out racing on the Salt.
  Maybe Mother Nature was also saddened by Ray's passing and decided to take this year to heal Her Salt and Her Heart. 
  God bless You Ray, you will not soon be forgotten.
                                                               Bob Drury
Bob Drury

Offline Freud

« Reply #166 on: September 22, 2014, 04:55:17 PM »
The bond between Ray and I started with a cell fone call. He was shooting on the salt and

a problem was apparent to me as I viewed the images. I called him on his cell fone and

we discussed it. The next posted image was corrected. AS we talked a few days later I

told him of the problem that I had with the Target 550 website.He told me to send all of

the information that I had about the site and two days later, it probably also included

two nights, he told me to access the site.  Just like that he had made it work. Since I

am a slow learner he drove the 900 miles to our house, added files to the computer and

started my education. Too much for me to grasp. Sorry Ray. Then he cleverly divided

the tasks. Things that I could do....I was assigned. He did everything else. That started

the full blown presentation of info about the car. Since that time we have done 247

posts with thousands of images. In 2013 we had 3.3 million hits from 26 countries.

Not only being my mentor he also was awarded the responsibility of Marlo Treits computers,

the fotos at the Bonneville NW Reunion, the Friday night slide show presentations, the

trip to see the restored PT boat in Portland, the 12 hour shifts when the portraits of the car

were done by an outside professional group from Portland, they were paid and he was not,

the Grand National Roadster Show where the car was included in the 100 years of Speed section

and Rufus.  Since I did not attend the foto shoot he used his images and did that post. He also

arrived at Pomona earlier than I and so he also did that shoot and the post. He was a poor

sleeper so many mornings there would be something done that I had no idea would be finished

until much later in the day.  The man was a machine that missed very few beats.

Soon after he started doing the web elf job for us he asked if he could be a crew member. Since

I am so smart and had the authority I immediately granted his status as a full crew member.  

He will be the first passenger on Target 550. That will be on the next run that the car makes.

PROMISED.

One other contribution that was so prominent was his 20+ years of dedication to AA. He would

willingly stop whatever he was doing if one of his friends needed him. I never experienced that

service but on the way from the ER to the ICU at Stevens Hospital he offered help and guidance

to one of the medical staff.  Ray never quit even on the last few hours of his life.

For the first time I have now donated to AA.

He will be a passenger on the Target550 streamliners next run.

Ray, watch for me if I ever get to that huge light box in the Clouds.

My best wishes to his sisters, Becky, Marty and his two sons Anthony and Colin.

Oh Ya.....HAPPY BIRTHDAY

FREUD
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 07:09:44 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #167 on: September 22, 2014, 05:00:47 PM »
Lovely tribute Freud!

Yes Ray will be missed by all of us who knew him and enjoyed his company.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #168 on: September 22, 2014, 06:30:19 PM »
Ray on the AA gun on the restored PT boat.

Happy birthday, Ray.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Freud

« Reply #169 on: September 22, 2014, 06:53:48 PM »
Thanks Mike. I stayed at the hotel in case someone needed an assist.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #170 on: September 22, 2014, 06:54:47 PM »
For me, I guess, I can't wish him a Happy Birthday (no offense, I hope, my friend Mike).  Unfortunately for him (and us), he's not celebrating another year with us.  And, you know, I think of him often and regret I'm not going to see him any more.  I'm just selfish I guess.

I'm glad Glenn gave us a better picture of all that Ray did for him -- more for him than for the team, I'd imagine.  The patience he must have shown trying to teach that old . . .

Well -- let's just be glad we all crossed paths.

Stan
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 07:09:33 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Freud

« Reply #171 on: September 22, 2014, 07:14:20 PM »
He taught me with his eyes closed: The blind leading the blind.

My hearing was slipping so his shouting wasn't even adequate.

Besides he lived 900 miles from home.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #172 on: September 22, 2014, 08:50:27 PM »
The middle photo in the group of three (above):  Was it taken at the Gas Up?  If so -- I had forgotten that he was in that Hall of Fame.  Another important bit of kudos for him.

Speaking of which, Bob and I are investigating how to register him (and other deceased folks) as dead on the Forum.  That status doesn't exist yet.  We're still working on it.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Freud

« Reply #173 on: September 22, 2014, 10:02:14 PM »
Ray was a guest at Gas Up.

He was just visiting.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #174 on: September 22, 2014, 11:32:32 PM »
There was a lady taking photographs at Delvene's meet with an old large format film camera.  We talked a bit about old cameras and she said she wants to be a photographer.  Mention was made that all photographers have an individual style, and the late Ray the Rat had a knack for being in the right pace at the right time.  I told her about Chevy Asylum and the photos there.  Ray set a good example.  He knew his way around and had passion and ability.  A good combination.  I sure miss him.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #175 on: February 26, 2015, 06:14:23 PM »
this year starts tough...and we lost some friends

a year ago we lost a very special friend.....Ray....gone far too early, he loves our sport and he shares his eye view through his camera lens with us, especially here on landracing.com

a small tribute to my old friend Ray...a picture I done at the Millers Race Track (close to Salt Lake City)...having a break between the races......

thanks for all you gave us....
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #176 on: February 26, 2015, 07:09:44 PM »
The passage of those we know, always prompts reflections about the passage of other friends and loved ones who have gone before . . . . . .

Wherever you are Ray . . .

Ave, atque, vale, frater.     Atque in perpetuum.
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #177 on: February 26, 2015, 07:55:02 PM »
It's hard to find words when we lose a close friend. I always furnished him with the entry list with Veh. nos and entry data so he could post it with his great photographs. We spent a lot of time on the phone between events as he wanted the data to be correct. He sent me a few photos over the years and I treasure them all. I wish he was here so I could shake his hand and wish him a happy birthday again. RIP my friend. we miss you.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #178 on: February 26, 2015, 09:28:27 PM »
Mark, I didn't know that you spoke (and wrote) German.  Very Good, very good. :-)
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #179 on: February 27, 2015, 08:29:03 AM »
Mark, I didn't know that you spoke (and wrote) German.  Very Good, very good. :-)

It is the Roman final Salute for a fallen Centurion.      A Roman Centurion was an extraordinary man/soldier.

At several times during my life, I have found it to be appropriate and helpful . . . . . .    I hope others find it so.
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein