Author Topic: Ray the Rat  (Read 285547 times)

Offline landsendlynda

Re: Ray the Rat
« Reply #150 on: March 30, 2014, 11:46:12 PM »
Oh, how my heart aches! I've been without internet since the middle of February so had no idea we had lost Ray!!  Ray was such a sweet, soft spoken, awesome photographer/racer/friend/crazy and irreplaceable person in my life!  I will miss him for the rest of my life.  God Speed my friend, I'll see you every sunrise and sunset on the salt! 

landsendlynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Freud

« Reply #151 on: March 31, 2014, 12:42:00 AM »
He meant a lot to me also, Lynda.

It has been a tough time realizing that he is gone.

Thank You for your sincere message.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #152 on: April 13, 2014, 07:56:50 PM »
Linda:

You have a way with words. I suspect Ray will be there everyday.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Texican

« Reply #153 on: April 19, 2014, 11:34:35 PM »
Ray's son was thinking we might have to have the Camaro towed to a repair shop.
After charging the battery, big click, but no fire.

We managed to over come the anti-theft module in the computer in Ray's Camaro by sticking the key in and leaving it "on" for about 10 minutes.
The anti-theft chip reset itself so the starter would crank.

This was the result of allowing the battery to go flat; they self drain.

The good advice came from a service adviser at the local bow-tie store.

His son relearned how to use a clutch.
Not quite like Mr. Toad's ride, but close.

Ask Pork-pie if the unit will jump.
Regards...

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #154 on: April 20, 2014, 04:21:03 AM »
Jim,

the Camaro got a blind passenger, using lots of electric power....Ray never found out....maybe one of all this electronic gadgets he built in got a permanent power use....he always had the car on the charger when he had the car for some days not on the road.....after the power lost the anti-theft chip needs again a learning lesson that he knows that everything is alright....

...the clutch in combination with the Hurst shifter is maybe difficult for the most Americans automatic user :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D the tire smokes...or the clutch smokes...better the tire..... :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

there is this small hexagon tool by the Hurst shifter....the reason for...the Hurst shifter likes to go sometimes into parts...and goes than loose....the tool is there to tides the screw again.....all this you can read in the manual...."how to use a Camaro after you turned him into a custom car".....  :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 04:25:12 AM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Freud

« Reply #155 on: April 20, 2014, 02:15:13 PM »
Pork Pie, I wish you knew as much about the website as you do about the Camaro.

Ray had done some custom work on the site also.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline mitchell968

« Reply #156 on: April 22, 2014, 01:31:26 AM »
s.w. 2011

Offline mitchell968

« Reply #157 on: April 22, 2014, 02:34:40 AM »
sad news to come home to.  ray was the first person i met on the salt.  s.w. 2010 . i pulled onto the salt , drove north past the pits and just happened to park next to a red suburban with a large white sticker on the side window. we introduced ourselves , i didnt question him on the a.k.a. name he also gave me , he introduced me to  jim h , and my bonneville education began.  i was lucky enough to run into him each year since as he was going back and forth , or he would just hung out and took a few pics with us ,or at salt talks, and last years nw reunion. he always took a minute to talk with me, so , rest easy mr therat, and thank you.     mitchell h.

Offline Freud

« Reply #158 on: April 22, 2014, 12:34:36 PM »
mitchell.......THANKS,

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Texican

« Reply #159 on: August 09, 2014, 01:53:55 PM »
mitchell.......THANKS,

FREUD

In all this disappointment; there is a small ray of hope.
Thanks to lots of friends and people of good will that are willing to "Pay it forward"  *
Ray's website"The Chevy Asylum" is being resuscitated from extinction out there in cyberspace.

Many thanks to Colin and Anthony Buck; Doc Freud, Pork
Pie,  Chris Linde of Atlanta area, and the real life saver; John Christensen.
If I left anyone out who has made an effort to help; I'm sorry.
Subaru happens.

John is a long time friend of the Rat's and obviously a real whiz kid with cyber stuff.
 It is still a work in progress, but coming along. Enjoy!! May the Rat's legacy go on for a long time.

http://www.myelcamino.net/
* Ray would be proud; that was a big part of his lifestyle: "Seems like the right thing to do."

Best Regards,
Jim

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #160 on: August 10, 2014, 06:14:41 PM »
Thanks Jim for posting this. I am sure Ray was looking down on Lake Bonneville and saying to himself, "Wow, what a picture that would make." Mark.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #161 on: August 10, 2014, 08:17:01 PM »
 :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Freud

« Reply #162 on: August 13, 2014, 12:02:12 PM »
I think he is camping up on the hill waiting for the next event.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #163 on: August 13, 2014, 12:19:42 PM »
  ZZ, As Mike Kelley and I were approaching the freeway exit near the Rainbow, Mike said "look out at the salt flats".
  It was both a beautiful yet sad sight, white salt with a beautiful aqua blue lake from what appeared to be Land's End and running to the North.
  It was the kind of picture that Ray would have taken to add to his marvelous gallery.
  Thanx to all who helped recover his work.  It will keep Ray alive in our hearts and memories.
                                                                                                Bob
Bob Drury

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #164 on: August 13, 2014, 02:34:05 PM »
Bob, thanks for posting that. You will probably remember that for a long time. I agree that Ray would have made the most of the lake in a photo and it would have been a perfect match for his pictures of the sun coming up early in the morning. Those sunrises are something that everyone should see when they go to Bonneville. We will always remember Ray.  Mark.