Author Topic: Ray the Rat  (Read 285597 times)

Offline racer

• Impound 2009. sweetest spot at Bonneville.
Re: Ray the Rat
« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2014, 02:09:58 AM »
Had the pleasure of meeting Ray in 2009 while sitting in Impound..

We had a great time shooting the bull, then Ray shot a photo or two and peeled out.

Thank You Ray The Rat for the memories...........R I P .......
Ray C Wheeler

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #106 on: March 03, 2014, 12:15:28 PM »
  Well here we are however many days later and my heart still feels like lead ballast.
  Most all of us have lost family members and friends over the years and it is never easy.  What makes the loss of Ray so pronounced is that most of us only knew Ray enough to recognize him when we saw him, yet He was such a well known part of our sport and did so much to further it's promotion that He had become in a very short time bigger than life in the LSR community.
  Not wanting to start or jump on a bandwagon during this period of mourning, I still cannot stop from thinking how We might honor Ray and also preserve his LSR history of work.
  One thought might be to contact His family at a more appropriate time about  their making his entire catalog available to the Public through this site or even the Save the Salt organization with a portion of the sales going to the LSR community.
  I don't have a clue how it could be done, but I would bet that if given a chance, Ray would be, as usual, all over it (and perhaps He already is)!
                                                                                  With much respect, Bob.
Bob Drury

Offline superleggera

« Reply #107 on: March 03, 2014, 02:33:01 PM »
Although I only ever talked with Ray a few minutes at a time at various Bonneville SpeedWeek's -- usually it was me telling him "thanks for the pictures!" and passing greenbacks his way for gasoline money given all the events he attended.  I found it remarkable in that he was able to share his passion for all things Bonneville with unknown tens of thousands of people across the planet (via his pictures); pre/post salt condition and weather status updates; as well as being involved with efforts ala Target550, this forum and his numerous friends throughout the land speed racing community.

I always think it is better to live life doing what you love -- and Ray was one of those type of folks given his demonstrated actions and passion for the salt flats.  RIP Ray.

Freud -- glad to hear about the Target550 streamliner scattering of his ashes plan -- that sounds rather fitting given Ray's love of the place and is a truly fitting memorial.
- me: Mark - home: Dry Heat, AZ USA - build: motorcycle streamliner

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #108 on: March 03, 2014, 04:03:51 PM »
As I was out at the drag races this weekend I saw many cars with In Memory of X Racer decals and folks with t-shirts In Memory of. Maybe someone with the resources could do up an In Memory of Ray the Rat decal or shirt for Speedweek, WoS and WFs. Sales of said decals and shirts could go to the Save the Salt fund. Thoughts?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #109 on: March 03, 2014, 06:02:44 PM »
We've done things for racers that have gone to the great race track in the sky, so to speak, on Salt Talks shirts and other landracing.com items - such as the badges for Willie Buchta soon after he died.  I haven't spoken up yet about doing something like that on this year's ST shirt - because I want to let the shock mitigate before jumping into production - only to find that there might be more, or better, that can be done.  Suffice it to say that landracing.com will remain aware of the thoughts of racers about Ray Buck.  He did the art on the shirts for us, he's done many photos for us, he's done much.  He won't be forgotten by this website or this Forum. :cry:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #110 on: March 03, 2014, 07:37:13 PM »
I think it's a great idea, SCTA club members have honored their lost ones with decals for many year. This is something to think about, lets get a few more ideas.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Freud

« Reply #111 on: March 04, 2014, 02:32:30 PM »
bump
Since '63

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #112 on: March 04, 2014, 03:38:59 PM »
What ever idea that takes place to honor Rays memory, I am sure a whole lot of people will step up. I know i will. We owe it to Ray for all he did. After all, if i was not for him and Pork pie, we would not have all these photo's to look back on over the years.
And yes Freud,,,,,,,,,i am hoping to be there for his final ride. Mark.

Offline Freud

« Reply #113 on: March 04, 2014, 05:12:45 PM »
Thank You, Santa.

FREUD for RtR
Since '63

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #114 on: March 04, 2014, 08:37:49 PM »
Wow what a shock. I have been out of touch for a little over a week. What sad news!! Ray was a great guy, and really good photographer. I will miss him. RIP Ray.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline RZ350

« Reply #115 on: March 04, 2014, 08:54:06 PM »
That is sad news.

I loved his pics, and sense of humor...
238 MPH at Bonneville

Offline AJR192

« Reply #116 on: March 04, 2014, 09:43:23 PM »
Ray's legacy of wonderful images should be sought out for prominent display in the new museum. It would be a fitting and lasting tribute for him, and a way for all to see how magnificent his photographer's eye really was....

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2014, 09:51:58 PM »
Ray the Rat wall of speed   I love it. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Freud

« Reply #118 on: March 04, 2014, 11:25:45 PM »