Author Topic: Ray the Rat  (Read 285570 times)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Re: Ray the Rat
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2014, 02:47:05 PM »
some views of Ray
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2014, 02:48:34 PM »
some views of Ray
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2014, 02:49:53 PM »
some views of Ray
Pork Pie

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2014, 02:53:06 PM »
some views of Ray
Pork Pie

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2014, 02:59:41 PM »
some views of Ray
Pork Pie

Offline Freud

« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2014, 03:00:03 PM »
With all of the things that have happened here I have failed to acknowledge one person who supported Ray

to the very end. Marlo Treit was the last person to have close contact with Ray. Marlo offered to take Ray to

the Veterans Hospital in either Portland or Seattle before Ray left to come to Everett. Ray was determined

to carry out his original plan and so he just left Marlo's shop to come to see me.  He drove about 140 miles

and stopped near Olympia, WA and stayed overnight in a motel. He called me Wednesday morning to say

that he felt better and would be coming up. He just about made it.

In all of the turbulence of the past few days I overlooked mentioning Marlo's dedication to Ray. Ray had assumed

the care and cleaning of Marlo's computers. Had we ever heard of a situation like that from Ray?  Oh Ya !!

Just like myself, Ray never got his hands dirty on Target550 but he was a major contributor. He was always

welcome at Marlo's place and he always had work to do the minute that he arrived. That was his nature.

Without Rays support Target500 website would probably not run as smoothly as it did. Marlo appreciated that.

With all of Rays friends Marlo loved, trusted and respected Ray.

I apologize for not posting this message sooner. Both of them deserved it.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2014, 03:00:32 PM »
one more view of Ray
Pork Pie

Offline Freud

« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2014, 03:05:16 PM »
Thanks Pork Pie.

That's a lovely view of a man at work.

He did a good job.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2014, 03:11:29 PM »
The file is large enough to download and print.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline SaltRat

« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2014, 04:16:19 PM »
Aw, goodness me,  this is a sad bit of news.

Many years ago I was typing a note to Ray, must have been 2005 or so, when my FFF [1] typed Rat instead of Ray.  I was so embarrassed and ashamed when Ray pointed out to me the mistake.  He thought it funny and went with it.

Ray was a kind person.  and no one worked harder at that craft.  I imagine he worked like that at everything he attempted, I'm sure we all know he did.  and a good friend, too.  Always a kind word and smile, it was always a joy to see him.

Saw Ray in Moab one year but we only chatted a few minutes because he was working.  I suggested he slow up a bit . . .

So, Godspeed Ray . . .I wish you sweet light and good salt.

your friend,

[1] fat fingers
SaltRat
When (if?) this baby hits 88mph, you'll see some serious poo.

Offline Tman

« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2014, 12:38:27 AM »
The cause of his death was pneumonia and congestive heart failure

His lungs and heart have been severely taxed for a long time but after

his experience in Death Valley a month ago he has been marginal.

When I explained that to his nurse she looked surprised and said

Death Valley fever. They couldn't relate that diagnosis to him until

I mentioned that trip. It took him 16 hours of struggling after his

tires blew out before he made it to the highway.

He did not suffer. He just couldn't get his breath. He gave me the

diagnosis when we were on our way to the ER. He didn't mention

pneumonia but he did tell me CHF.

He just peacefully went to sleep.

Thank you so much for these details. It helps bring closure to myself while at the same time a tear to my eye. ray donated a ton to the Save the Salt Fundraiser we did at the BBQ last year. He was a big part of the 900+ dollars we raised. Funny story, the LARGE hi-res prints he donated were passed off as the deluge hit us in 2012 that cancelled that years BBQ. We were tucked into the door of his suburban picking out shots and cars when I said that is fine after 6 or so and told him to get in out of the rain. We dove to our respective cars and bid farewell as the monsoons hit. Ray would have stood in the shadow of his truck picking out shots through the whole thing, that is just how he was. Dedicated to the end. Thanks Ray. Rest in Peace!

Offline Schruiber

• Granite Falls High School Eco Car Teams
« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2014, 12:43:56 AM »
It's been a privilege to have known Ray - What Passion and Dedication he brought to the field of LSR and photography!  RIP and God Speed.

The picture is from World of Speed 2011 / 130mph club; he is in line with his car and finds time to take photos of our High School car!
T-2011 - Granite Falls HS UrbanAutos Diesel - 31.16668MPH over the measured mile  at WoS 2011.

gkabbt

« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2014, 07:41:48 AM »
Like Trent, I would like to share this story about Ray.

Last year, I was trying to help Jon and Chris have a webcast at WoS and Shootout.
On the way out to Bonneville, I went up to Milwaukee to get all the equipment needed from Chris. While there, we found out that the tower desktop computer had crapped out. I was going to try and use my laptop but decided that it simply was not up to the task. Several post were made here in the forums and I suggested that we might find one in SLC. On very short notice, Ray stepped up and said he would find one and that I would pick it up as I was passing through SLC. That never came to fruition though as rain canceled WoS and the Shootout.

What impressed me most was that Ray was willing to go out of his way for this cause on very short notice!

Ray was just being himself.....Willing to do anything for this sport!

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2014, 08:06:50 AM »
Doc Freud,

I would like to say a heart felt THANK YOU for your updates.....You SIR, were a genuine friend!     
The world would be a much better place with more people like you!

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2014, 08:10:43 AM »
Thanks Pork Pie.

That's a lovely view of a man at work.

He did a good job.

FREUD

I would like to also say Thank You PorkPie.....Great pics of a man who loved his work!

Gregg