Author Topic: Chat room - why don't you visit?  (Read 23153 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Chat room - why don't you visit?
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2016, 03:19:52 PM »
Sorry, Ben -- but once in a while I can't help but be a smart-ass.

HTML5?  Is that a new version of ERC's MUL-C race gas?

We're by and large racers that aren't all that familiar with code and stuff like that.  But ask me about portable toilets at Bville and you can get hours and hours of good information*.  Ask one of us about reading pinion gears and we can help.  Ask us to do much beyond logging into landracing.com -- and we're frickin' lost.  That's why we keep it as simple as we can here.

---

*Well, okay, minutes.

--------

***Okay -- long enough to void and zip.

PS  In case you didn't know, and with you being pretty new you haven't seen me in action, but my prime Bonneville volunteer duty is marshalling six dozen porta-potties.  Everybody's got something fun to do while racing.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2016, 04:47:19 PM »
Sorry, Ben -- but once in a while I can't help but be a smart-Acura.

HTML5?  Is that a new version of ERC's MUL-C race gas?

We're by and large racers that aren't all that familiar with code and stuff like that.  But ask me about portable toilets at Bville and you can get hours and hours of good information*.  Ask one of us about reading pinion gears and we can help.  Ask us to do much beyond logging into landracing.com -- and we're frickin' lost.  That's why we keep it as simple as we can here.

---

*Well, okay, minutes.

--------

***Okay -- long enough to void and zip.

PS  In case you didn't know, and with you being pretty new you haven't seen me in action, but my prime Bonneville volunteer duty is marshalling six dozen porta-potties.  Everybody's got something fun to do while racing.

new fuel??? html5? could be, if it's a biofuel based on male bovine excrement.

marshalling porta potties?  not bad so long as none of them are laying down on the job!

I just like IRC as an option because often times I cripple this machine to the point it's stuck at console only for a few days while things recompile.  I doubt any of the text only browsers I can use from the console in that case will work with the chat application.  IRC of course works just fine from the console.  Incidently though the forum does work from text only browsers. :D

Also, if I ever complain about someone being a smart ass you should ban me immediatly.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline bobc

• Administrator
    • South Mt. Web Design
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2016, 11:40:12 PM »
Polyhead,

Text-only browsers?  Where are you?  What is your special need?  PM me if you have some good info.  A text-only browser reminds me of my pre-mouse, text-only, green-screen days.

BtWE
Web Elf

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2016, 01:22:39 PM »
Polyhead,

Text-only browsers?  Where are you?  What is your special need?  PM me if you have some good info.  A text-only browser reminds me of my pre-mouse, text-only, green-screen days.

BtWE

Oh it's not a need usually, except when I break X.  X is part of the gui system on linux.  It has some fragility to it and sometimes I do a thing that brings the entire house of cards down.  So then it takes a week or so to sort the mess out and that leaves me using just the console till I work out what I've done wrong.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2016, 09:31:33 PM »
Ben said:  "...Oh it's not a need usually, except when I break X.  X is part of the gui system on linux.  It has some fragility to it and sometimes I do a thing that brings the entire house of cards down.  So then it takes a week or so to sort the mess out and that leaves me using just the console till I work out what I've done wrong..."

Is that his way of defining the word "masochist"? :?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2016, 12:11:36 PM »
Ben said:  "...Oh it's not a need usually, except when I break X.  X is part of the gui system on linux.  It has some fragility to it and sometimes I do a thing that brings the entire house of cards down.  So then it takes a week or so to sort the mess out and that leaves me using just the console till I work out what I've done wrong..."

Is that his way of defining the word "masochist"? :?

hahahahaha yeah probably. 

Then again, a purely textual system has it's advantages.  I mean... you can do movie play back on the console.  http://www.linuxandlife.com/2012/02/how-to-play-videos-in-terminal.html

Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline bobc

• Administrator
    • South Mt. Web Design
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2016, 11:08:50 PM »
Then again, a purely textual system has it's advantages.  I mean... you can do movie play back on the console.  http://www.linuxandlife.com/2012/02/how-to-play-videos-in-terminal.html

Ummm...so a purely textual system does video?  Seems pretty contradictory.

Does anybody else share your situation?

BtWE
Web Elf

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2016, 05:45:08 PM »

Ummm...so a purely textual system does video?  Seems pretty contradictory.

Does anybody else share your situation?

BtWE

Probably not my exact situation, but then again, AAlib exist for a reason... I sure didn't author that god awful mess.  I will say this, anyone that runs X is running a fragile ass house of damned fragile cards made of fragile materials on a fragile table in a house made of straw straddling the san adreas fault.  If you leave X alone it stays working, but it doesn't always run all that great when left alone so you poke at it with a stick and then it blows up in your face sometimes.  X has always been, and continues to be the WORST part about any linux distro.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL