Author Topic: Chat room - why don't you visit?  (Read 23147 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Chat room - why don't you visit?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 06:52:35 PM »
I usually log on around 6:00 pm Mountain time and now and then a newby will log on not being sure. Thing is we don't care if you type slow and misspell words. We want to have your input, stories,what you are building or if you are looking for someone. we are here to help. Please join us. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 11:46:19 PM »
I`ll try, Glen. By the time I get in from the Shop, get/eat Dinner and walk the dogs, It is always after 7PM PST, so I usually don`t manage to do it. Must be more diligent....

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 10:53:25 AM »
KP we hope to talk tonight, we can stay on a long time with good topics. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 12:52:14 PM »
because CGI driven chat rooms are annoying.

Now... If you want to set one up that uses IRC, I would be totally into that.  I even know a few IRC network admins that could make it happen.  It's old technology but it works!

Also I've not seen a link anywhere refering to the chat room.  I had no idea it existed at all till now.  Some big skype sessions or something of the like would be a lot of fun.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 01:16:22 PM »
If you don't like us don't join us some of us have been on it for several years.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2016, 02:16:23 PM »
Check on the top right corner of the home page to find the entrance to the chat area. The rest of us aren't computer geeks and aren't interested in getting involved in the technology that allows us to chat. We just got into the system we have now and it works for the rest of us. If you care to lower yourself to the level of ordinary folk you're welcome to join us on Tuesday. When we get a decent sized group it can be a lot of fun plus there's often a lot of knowledge to draw on.

Pete
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 02:24:27 PM by Peter Jack »

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2016, 02:26:52 PM »
Check on the right top corner of the home page to find the entrance to the chat area. The rest of us aren't computer geeks and aren't interested in getting involved in the technology that allows us to chat. We just got into the system we have now and it works for the rest of us. If you care to lower yourself to the level of ordinary folk you're welcome to join us on Tuesday. When we get a decent sized group it can be a lot of fun plus there's often a lot of knowledge to draw on.

Pete

I'm probably at work when that's all going down.  Workin' 40 and finding time to stay a bachelor doesn't leave you with a lot of spare time during the work week.

Actually the chat could be set up in such a way it uses a web interface, and is accesible via an IRC client.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2016, 02:29:19 PM »
If you don't like us don't join us some of us have been on it for several years.

It has nothing to do with not liking you, and everything to do with not wanting to work around a lagging, cpu hogging, clunky interface that drives me up the wall.  The topic is, why don't I visit, and i'm letting you know why.  Now if you get offended about that, and take it personally, that's you're problem.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2016, 02:31:44 PM »
"Actually the chat could be set up in such a way it uses a web interface, and is accesible via an IRC client."

Your talking above most of our heads and we aren't interested in changing. We're too busy staying involved in lsr to get involved with all the little details involved in computer technology that doesn't involve racing.

Again, the invitation is extended.

Pete

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2016, 02:32:31 PM »
also I'm still not seeing the link to the chat area...

HOME    PHOTOS    FORUM    CALENDAR    RECORDS    HISTORY    TECH & FAQs    VIDEO    CONTACT    LINKS   

Those are the only options that I see on the home page.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2016, 02:37:33 PM »
Go straight down from LINKS till you come to "New Chat Room! Non-Java!". Click on it and you can get in.

Pete

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2016, 02:47:19 PM »
Bob, our web elf, keeps things moving along - at a pace that most of us can follow.  We just got a clunky Chat Room to work better enough that we aren't going to futz with it for a while, I hope.

We've batted the idea of changing things to get more folks using the room -- but if nothing else, the two dozen time zones - four and more in this country alone -- make it a pain for one and all to use.  For instance -- The thing doesn't start 'til 9PM at our house -- and we're usually in bed by 9.30.  I seldom manage to stay up "late" enough to join the fun.  And then I think of Mike in SA and Anders in Sweden -- and am glad that it's only a little bit at a bad time for me.

But it's what we have and it seems to work - so all I can do is keep your ideas on the list of things that might help the site be better and easier for all.  Here, by the way, is a shot of the portion of the home page with the Chat Room liknk in it:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2016, 02:49:53 PM »
Bob, our web elf, keeps things moving along - at a pace that most of us can follow.  We just got a clunky Chat Room to work better enough that we aren't going to futz with it for a while, I hope.

We've batted the idea of changing things to get more folks using the room -- but if nothing else, the two dozen time zones - four and more in this country alone -- make it a pain for one and all to use.  For instance -- The thing doesn't start 'til 9PM at our house -- and we're usually in bed by 9.30.  I seldom manage to stay up "late" enough to join the fun.  And then I think of Mike in SA and Anders in Sweden -- and am glad that it's only a little bit at a bad time for me.

But it's what we have and it seems to work - so all I can do is keep your ideas on the list of things that might help the site be better and easier for all.  Here, by the way, is a shot of the portion of the home page with the Chat Room liknk in it:

ooooooooh in the "improtant links" area.... I would have expected at the very top.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2016, 02:57:02 PM »
Thanks Jon. I've reached my limit in trying to be helpful.  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2016, 02:58:29 PM »
Actually it's considerably less clunky than expected.  html-5 is sometimes a wonderful thing.
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL