Author Topic: Chat room - why don't you visit?  (Read 23148 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Chat room - why don't you visit?
« on: February 26, 2014, 11:10:30 AM »
During the recent past the "attendance" at the Chat Room (Tuesday evenings 9PM Eastern, 7PM Mountain, etc) has been small.  The same five or ten folks every week -- but that's it.  Why don't you visit and join in the sessions?  We're trying to find out so maybe we can have more folks use and enjoy it.

Sumner made a post about the Room this morning on the Chat Room thread - but I'll reproduce it here.

"I'm wondering would more of you attend chat if it started with a specific subject matter with a moderator for that subject.  For instance say one night it is Glen and he answers questions about timing, or a specific car owner that answers questions about his car, or say someone from a place selling carbs and they answer questions, etc.  Then when the question period peters out it goes into a general chat?

With this format some could just lurk and not feel that they have to type and say anything, just be there and then enter in if you felt like it.

How about other ideas to make chat popular?  Are the Java problems in getting it to work and the security warnings using it turning you away?

Also the chat room works 24-7 so is anyone interested in using it spur of the moment if they see others are on during the day?

Sum"

The Chat Room is open and free and available to one and all.  I'd appreciate hearing why you don't visit - so maybe we can make it so you do.  Let's hear from you, hey?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Chat room - why don't you visit?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 11:21:54 AM »
Unfortunately for the last while we've had to work our way through warning messages to get into the chat room. That probably turns off a lot of people but it turns out that there doesn't seem to be any real basis for the warnings. None of us has had any issues from getting on the chat room. Hopefully more people will work their way in.

Pete

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 11:58:20 AM »
I could not get to the chat room with this tablet.
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Freud

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 12:00:28 PM »
Dinner time on the west coast.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 12:11:04 PM »
I can't type fast enough to make it worthwhile-- sorry.

Regards  Neil    Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline JonAmo

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 06:37:34 PM »
When I installed chat on the website, tablets were not a consumer product like they are today. As many things happen over the years things must be upgraded and freshened to keep interest.

Tablets provide a challenge because flash would be the way to go, but Apple products like Ipad and Iphones do not use Silverlight or Flash.

So the limitations are just not to computers which do everything well, Tablets do not. Finding a one solution that fits all criteria could be challenging that are low cost (Free).

As the years went on more strict policies are put in place by operating system that use Java, so today that may not be the media of choice but back in 2004 it was.

There is a version of Chat that integrates within this forum software and since this works on almost all media types it might be worth investigating to bring a new chat functionality to the website.

Just some things to consider.

Jon Amo

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 06:47:05 PM »
I couldn't find the dang link!  After seeing the posts about it on the forum, I made it last nights goal to get in there......and I finallygotit.  Get it?  :-D

I plan on being there now as time permits.
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 07:15:29 PM »
Where 's the button. I guess I'm blind.

219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 07:19:45 PM »
The button is not on the forum, it's on the main page, right hand side, just under the calendar.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 08:22:43 PM »
Jon, you're more aware of things like a new version of the Chat Room stuff -- so how about letting me (and all of us) know what to look for/what to have Bob look for?  Once we find it maybe we can see if it's of interest to the folks here.  Because of the time difference I don't visit the chatting folks often -- so have to rely on what others (like you) can bring to the table.  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 10:27:43 PM »
I can't type fast enough to make it worthwhile-- sorry.

Regards  Neil    Tucson, AZ
Me too Neil, I think we're old school..... or are we dinosaurs! :-D
  Sid.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 11:56:08 AM »
Sid;

Dinosaurs maybe....not marsupials!  :-D

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 11:25:07 PM »
2 percenters are a lost breed :-D
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 05:50:17 PM »
I'll resurrect this old topic with the same question as before -- why don't you visit the Chat Room.  It's on Tuesday evening at 9PM Eastern time and 6PM Pacific.  Maybe that there is a problem -- wrong time of day.  Or maybe wrong day.  Any comments on moving it?

I don't like having that extra feature of the site go pretty much unused.  No, it doesn't cost anything to have it available, but still -- if it's not used - - why should we have it there?  If only one or three folks sign in -- they aren't going to have much discussing to discuss.

I wish there were a time warp device available that'd let me run the Chat Room at the same time across the nation -- you know, like Dr. Peabody's WayBack machine adapted for the internet so we could all have the Chat at say, 8PM local time.  But until I get that one loaded into this 'outer I guess I'll have to wait for some good comments about how to get more of youse guys to use the Chat Room.  My excuse is the basic one -- we almost always are in bed by 9.30 Eastern time, and that means leaving the computer desk at no later than 9.15 to brush teeth and so on.  You don't need to know what "so on" means, do you? :roll: :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 06:42:20 PM »
The last few weeks its picked up a bit Slim but we could certainly use more participation. I think it really helps at times when someone who's building a car gets on and asks a question. Three or four guys doing a little brainstorming can really help make a step forward. We can also talk about the weather. Those in the more southern climes can boast about their temperatures and those of us a little more north can boast about how tough we are.  :-D :-D :-D

Anyone who is thinking about it come aboard and have a little fun and get to know a few new people interested in lsr and a bunch of other stuff. The topics are all over the place and anything's open.

Pete